Mack Coulda Had Ray or Burris

According to Tait:

Consider this for what it's worth, but sources say when former Edmonton Eskimos GM Eric Tillman was shopping QB Ricky Ray -- he was eventually shipped to the Argos and last year led them to a championship -- one of his first calls was to Mack, who passed because he thought the QB, now 33, was too old. Ditto for Henry Burris, who was shipped from Calgary to Hamilton in 2012.

Thanks a lot Joe. We're all loving our current QB's, and our 1-7 record. 

Now When you consider what Barker has said about the Ray acquisition it seems far less simple than simply Tillman shopping him around. As for Burris, I don't consider that a big miss at all, For all the numbers Burris has put up he hasn't done a damned bit of winning in Hamilton and his one Grey Cup win in Calgary looks to be more and more a fluke when you consider all the choking he's done. He's a glorified Kevin Glenn with a worse attitude. 

The Ray thing needs more info to be properly discussed, for all we know the price was first rounds picks in perpetuity. 

And here's the other side from Tillman: 

Edmonton GM Eric Tillman said he didn’t enter the off-season intent on trading Ray. However, he added the Argos’ dogged pursuit of the veteran quarterback resulted in a deal that Tillman believes makes the Eskimos younger and improves their Canadian content.

“They were very aggressive,” Tillman said. “We were not looking to trade Ricky and were very reluctant to do so.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/188531/edmonton-eskimos-qb-ricky-ray-traded-to-toronto/

So, it's a matter of believe what suits your fancy.

And here's the other side from Tillman: 

Edmonton GM Eric Tillman said he didn’t enter the off-season intent on trading Ray. However, he added the Argos’ dogged pursuit of the veteran quarterback resulted in a deal that Tillman believes makes the Eskimos younger and improves their Canadian content.

“They were very aggressive,” Tillman said. “We were not looking to trade Ricky and were very reluctant to do so.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/188531/edmonton-eskimos-qb-ricky-ray-traded-to-toronto/

So, it's a matter of believe what suits your fancy.

Could this be damage control by Tillman...after realizing how badly he screwed up?

If he had acquired some good Canadians or picks in that trade...Edmonton with Mike Reilly @ QB would now be well on their way.

imo, this article says a lot about Tim Burke, he's had no real input as a HC from day 1 which is too bad. I see names in that article like Rey Williams and Kevin Huntly, 2 positions that I have been screaming about all year and it's nice to see that he also see's it.

I hope Burke is given the rest of the season to work with Walters, if it doesn't work out, at least he gets a fair shake.

The Ray thing needs more info to be properly discussed, for all we know the price was first rounds picks in perpetuity. 

It may well have been...but any good negotiator doesn't take the first offer...Barker clearly didn't.

The Ricky Ray rumour was already floating around when Kelly was here. No one believed it...but eventually it happened.

It may well have been...but any good negotiator doesn't take the first offer...Barker clearly didn't.

The Ricky Ray rumour was already floating around when Kelly was here. No one believed it...but eventually it happened.

well Ray a Ray deal starting with Doug Brown and adding from there is a damned bit more believable than what Toronto gave up to get him. That could have at least made sense because it would have been a huge payment. 

Now When you consider what Barker has said about the Ray acquisition it seems far less simple than simply Tillman shopping him around. As for Burris, I don't consider that a big miss at all, For all the numbers Burris has put up he hasn't done a damned bit of winning in Hamilton and his one Grey Cup win in Calgary looks to be more and more a fluke when you consider all the choking he's done. He's a glorified Kevin Glenn with a worse attitude. 

Except for the fact that our d was dominant in 2011 and would have won the grey cup if offence had a pulse. 2012 we could have been a contender if we had burris leading our offence with Burris throwing for 5000 + and our defense playing at a lower level but keeping it within a touchdown or two with Elliot and brink in there.

Your inability to logically look at our teams issues is unfathomable . If we had Burris last year or the year before we would have won a CUP or at least being fighting into the playoffs vs missing them. We would have won the majority of games with the offence scoring more then 30 points per game last year.

Except for the fact that our d was dominant in 2011 and would have won the grey cup if offence had a pulse. 2012 we could have been a contender if we had burris leading our offence with Burris throwing for 5000 + and our defense playing at a lower level but keeping it within a touchdown or two with Elliot and brink in there.

Your inability to logically look at our teams issues is unfathomable . If we had Burris last year or the year before we would have won a CUP or at least being fighting into the playoffs vs missing them. We would have won the majority of games with the offence scoring more then 30 points per game last year.

but in 2011 these guys weren't on the table. I'm telling you, Burris is not a winner and never has been. There's a reason Calgary tossed him aside. Too many choke jobs. He is the ultimate fair weather qb. puts up big stats but when the going gets tough he wilts. 

Burris would have been a difference maker here. The guy makes plays as we saw last night. Yeah sure sometimes he screws up but put him on an average team & he makes them better like Hamilton. After the crap we've seen the past couple of years especially, I'd take what he would bring us. What pisses me off is the fact that Mack wouldn't bring in free agent players that coaches wanted to plug holes to help the young players develop. Or his drafting record. The example of Walters wanting to draft Mike Edem & he ignored him was telling. I & others here were complaining about these very things here almost since Mack got here. He has set the team back years & good riddance the man is gone.

but in 2011 these guys weren't on the table. I'm telling you, Burris is not a winner and never has been. There's a reason Calgary tossed him aside. Too many choke jobs. He is the ultimate fair weather qb. puts up big stats but when the going gets tough he wilts. 

Compared to the crap we have at the qb position now, I'd take Hank in a heartbeat.

Also, another thing --

The way the crap about Mack is suddenly coming out of IGF fast & furious combined with all the player moves Walters is making -- looks a lot like Walters is doing a hard-sell that he should be the next GM. 

Now watch it happen. Ugh. 

Bet that decision has already been made. We just don't know it. It's the Bomber Way.

Holy balls this organization is a mess.  This isn't the same crap spewed by Lawless over and over again - when Tait comes out with this stuff it's carries a lot of weight.

I like Walters a lot.  It still makes me uneasy that he's in the race for the GM spot, but he does seem like a rising star.  I might not hate the move.

Also, another thing --

The way the crap about Mack is suddenly coming out of IGF fast & furious combined with all the player moves Walters is making -- looks a lot like Walters is doing a hard-sell that he should be the next GM. 

Bet that decision has already been made. We just don't know it. It's the Bomber Way.

Despite Miller saying everything to the contrary...

Also, another thing --

Despite Miller saying everything to the contrary...

Well, nothing the team has done has made me feel that they can be trusted on whatever they say. I support the team. Love the team & always will. However, I don't trust the people who run the club & why should I? They reward themselves & their friends. THAT'S the Bomber Way.