Mack Coulda Had Ray or Burris

Also, another thing --

The way the crap about Mack is suddenly coming out of IGF fast & furious combined with all the player moves Walters is making -- looks a lot like Walters is doing a hard-sell that he should be the next GM. 

Now watch it happen. Ugh. 

This is why I'm a little bit skeptical of it. Burke has started talking completely differently than he did before Mack was fired in terms of what he wanted etc. I think Burke is trying to deflect some blame off himself and maybe Miller and Walters are doing some scapegoating as well. It's human nature. At this point there may be some truths in all this but there's probably a lot of exaggerations as well. 

Also, another thing --

The way the crap about Mack is suddenly coming out of IGF fast & furious combined with all the player moves Walters is making -- looks a lot like Walters is doing a hard-sell that he should be the next GM. 

Bet that decision has already been made. We just don't know it. It's the Bomber Way.

Despite Miller saying everything to the contrary...

I've known Wade for 20 years. Very smart, hard working guy -- also HIGHLY calculating. 

I'm getting increasingly skeptical of our upcoming "exhaustive" GM search...

Also, another thing --

Bet that decision has already been made. We just don't know it. It's the Bomber Way.

I've known Wade for 20 years. Very smart, hard working guy -- also HIGHLY calculating. 

Let me get this straight:  Wade Miller, known for running successful businesses, is going to take over this dumpster fire of a team, and then hand the GM job to the assistant to the guy he just fired?  Without doing his due diligence?  I'm skeptical of that.

17, I know you are the biggest Mack supporter here but the results speak for themselves. Mack was a terrible GM. Our team is the way it is because of him. He deserves all the criticism he gets. My concern now isn't so much with what happened before as we can't do anything about it but if this team can move forward by changing the way things were done in the past. I don't have any confidence in anything Miller says he's going to do. I think in the end, even though there's going to be a so called "search" for a new President, he'll become the permanent President of the team. And in doing so, having worked closely with Walters.... he'll say that he'll conduct a search to find a new GM but in the end he'll recommend to the Board that Walters become the permanent GM of the team. if that happens it'll be clear that the Bombers have learned nothing. Time will tell... in a few months.

Also, another thing --

Let me get this straight:  Wade Miller, known for running successful businesses, is going to take over this dumpster fire of a team, and then hand the GM job to the assistant to the guy he just fired?  Without doing his due diligence?  I'm skeptical of that.

More what I meant was, Im skeptical that what Wade says to the media is what he's really thinking/planning. 

Also, Wade is Bomber board pedigree. His Dad was on the board for years -- some used to say it was part of the reason Wade lasted on the roster as long as he did. 

He's hardly a shiny new apple brought in from a fresh barrel. Not saying he's rotten, just saying I'm skeptical 

17, I know you are the biggest Mack supporter here but the results speak for themselves. Mack was a terrible GM. Our team is the way it is because of him. He deserves all the criticism he gets.

I'm not saying the results say anything else, where we disagree is whether the piling on is totally justified. Gotta admit that it's a distinct possibility that people like Burke are trying to save their jobs and guys like Walters will be campaigning for jobs right? Also might help get more fans back on board if they have a nice scapegoat for everything right? Ultimately why things got this way don't matter, done is done what matters now is getting it right going forward. That we at least agree on. 

One of the golden rules always has been "never believe what you read in the newspaper"

In my opinion, I don't believe Ricky was offered to Mac first. Tillman it seems to me was doing everything

possible to ingratiate himself with TO. 

I can't believe how some on this forum are so down on Walters being a possibility for GM. Yes he

does not have a lot of experience at this point, but he is sure going through trial by fire, which

will gain him a whole lot. He could be the greatest GM ever, who the hell knows? Give the guy

a chance at least, nothing to lose at this point.

Now When you consider what Barker has said about the Ray acquisition it seems far less simple than simply Tillman shopping him around. As for Burris, I don't consider that a big miss at all, For all the numbers Burris has put up he hasn't done a damned bit of winning in Hamilton and his one Grey Cup win in Calgary looks to be more and more a fluke when you consider all the choking he's done. He's a glorified Kevin Glenn with a worse attitude. 

The Ray thing needs more info to be properly discussed, for all we know the price was first rounds picks in perpetuity.

Except for the fact that our d was dominant in 2011 and would have won the grey cup if offence had a pulse. 2012 we could have been a contender if we had burris leading our offence with Burris throwing for 5000 + and our defense playing at a lower level but keeping it within a touchdown or two with Elliot and brink in there.

Your inability to logically look at our teams issues is unfathomable . If we had Burris last year or the year before we would have won a CUP or at least being fighting into the playoffs vs missing them. We would have won the majority of games with the offence scoring more then 30 points per game last year.

but in 2011 these guys weren't on the table. I'm telling you, Burris is not a winner and never has been. There's a reason Calgary tossed him aside. Too many choke jobs. He is the ultimate fair weather qb. puts up big stats but when the going gets tough he wilts.

Perhaps he chokes but i think most would rather field a competetive team that has a good chance to win each week then the garbage we have been seeing last season and this season . He did win a cup while at qb which is something and has shown he is productive as a qb most weeks. And since glen we haven't had a qb that can consistently throw for 300+ yards a game. With burris he would have brought much needed stability to a key position on our team which could allow us to groom a successor for the future, while providing fans with some excitement during the game instead of our awesome two and out strategy.

One of the golden rules always has been "never believe what you read in the newspaper"

In my opinion, I don't believe Ricky was offered to Mac first. Tillman it seems to me was doing everything

I can't believe how some on this forum are so down on Walters being a possibility for GM. Yes he

does not have a lot of experience at this point, but he is sure going through trial by fire, which

will gain him a whole lot. He could be the greatest GM ever, who the hell knows? Give the guy

We have nothing to lose, except that we might keep on losing.

I don't think people have anything against Walters per se, they just want to the Bombers to hire someone with a proven track record.

Walters is already in a tough, almost no-win situation.

He may do a stellar job from here on in and be rewarded with a skeptical no thanks.

OTOH, if he does enough to warrant a serious look, his detractors are already loading their told-ya-so weapons.

We have nothing to lose, except that we might keep on losing.

I don't think people have anything against Walters per se, they just want to the Bombers to hire someone with a proven track record.

That's pretty much my line of thought, nothing against Walters but would rather get someone with more experience at this juncture. Keep Walters as an AGM by all means but for now let's make the safe play. 

Sorry but we have EVERYTHING to lose. The possibility of another rookie GM in over his head??? No thanks.

If this is true, wow. I'd take Hank or Ray.

Interesting on the draft too, Edem would look good, not sure on the receiver.

Oh c'mon, Tait is now in the same class of pond scum as Friesen.

The denier's will never admit how sucked in they were by Mr Mack.

It's like a cult, they have invested so much they can't be wrong, no matter how hard the truth smacks them in the face, it's good entertainment for the rest of us though, watching them crash back to earth, lol.

Walters. Maybe in 5-10 years but not now.

That's ridiculous!

What's wrong about not wanting to make a guy GM who has half a season as an AGM and half a season as an interm GM?

There's nothing wrong with it. Walters may in the end be successful as a GM, but what evidence is there now that he is the best person for the large challenge of remaking the bombers? He was a mediocre special teams coach. He was hired by Mack and the same executive group that are responsible for the current state of the bombers. He was hired primarily for his expertise in a fairly narrow aspect of management, his expertise with CIS/Canadian talent. He learned the job for 1/2 a season at the feet of what most consider a lousy GM. Sure let him do the job this season, and let him compete for the position, but I can't believe there are not more qualified candidates.

Walters. Maybe in 5-10 years but not now.

That's ridiculous!

What's wrong about not wanting to make a guy GM who has half a season as an AGM and half a season as an interm GM?

Don't upset him, rebus. He can't take negative criticism well. Butterflies & cute little birds are the order of the day for blitzmore.

I don't believe we had a shot at Burris,  but Ray probably some truth.  But every report we have heard is that he was going to Toronto and really no one else had a shot.  Plus forget not all the conspiracy threads.

Me thinks this article and thread is purely to trash Mack because he's no longer with us.  I'm sure once Burke is canned the Media will have a dozen articles about him making crazy decisions and him being the reason Hefney sucked and why we had to get rid of talent bla bla bla

I don't believe we had a shot at Burris,  but Ray probably some truth.  But every report we have heard is that he was going to Toronto and really no one else had a shot.  Plus forget not all the conspiracy threads.

I might be remembering wrong but it seems to me that when that trade happened there was a lot of "Ray was on the block?" sentiment going around the CFL at the time so it seems unlikely that Tillman would have been shopping him around to everyone, the CFL can't keep secrets like that.

I think Ray would have been dead in the water here with our offensive line. Ray can't make plays with his legs or get away from the rush. So, a qb like Hank would probably find more success. And I'm using Hank as an example. Not saying Mack should have gone out & traded for him.

I think Ray would have been dead in the water here with our offensive line. Ray can't make plays with his legs or get away from the rush. So, a qb like Hank would probably find more success. And I'm using Hank as an example. Not saying Mack should have gone out & traded for him.

Ray had the shits of an o-line in Edmonton and did OK too you know.