Around the NHL

14 hours ago, Floyd said:

Sorry to break the news to you, but that is exactly the kind of GM we have...  every other year, Chevy takes a flyer on a low-cost player or two... Stemp could easily have been that guy this year.

Some years it works - i.e. Perrault - and some years it doesn't - i.e. James Wright... it would have worked this year

I'm going to miss the Stempniak threads where as soon as you say something positive about him, someone blows it up into 'you think we would have won the stanley cup if we signed him???  HA!'  Reminds me of the Jerome Messam - thank god we didn't sign him because he doesn't play special teams arguments...

I'm still not sure what you're arguing.  Stempniak is better than a bunch of players currently on our roster.  That isn't some revelation.  Does that mean they should have signed Stempniak?  Why?  To what end purpose?

Stempniak is a perfectly good 3rd line player, 2nd line on a weaker team.  So we sign him and then what?  We don't play Ehlers?  Lowry doesn't get a second year of pro experience under his belt?  Armia doesn't get called up?  Copp doesn't get experience?  Every other year Chevy has taken a flyer on a low-cost player or two because our young guys weren't ready to play in the NHL yet and we had roster spots to fill.  And that's why they were always signed to one or two year deals - so they were not obstructing a roster spot for one of the young guys when they became ready.

What offseason signings did the Jets make this year where the Jets could have accomplished the same thing with Stempniak and instead chose to go with a different player?  Re-signing Peluso?  So Stempniak is a guy we bring in to be an enforcer, sit in the press box for 40 games and play 5 minutes a night the other 40?  Signing Fraser?  So Stempniak is a guy who is going to take a cheap contract, play on the Moose most of the year and be ready to fill in for injuries, and get moved back down without getting claimed by another team?  These are the actual roles for these players, not just a reflection of our surprise that they aren't Stamkos in disguise.  Stempniak is too good a player for those roles.

This season was a big part of development for the young players.  Draft and development.  It's a process.  Look at what happened with Lowry this year.  Growth is not a straight line trending up, and the time it takes for each player will be different.

Stempniak is a decent enough player and I would have been fine with re-signing him.  The young guys were finally considered ready enough to bring on-stream in 2.0.  Any playing time given to Stempniak would come at their expense.  The absence of his 20 goals is a short term pain for long term gain.

3 hours ago, mbrg said:

I'm still not sure what you're arguing.  Stempniak is better than a bunch of players currently on our roster.  That isn't some revelation.  Does that mean they should have signed Stempniak?  Why?  To what end purpose?

Stempniak is a perfectly good 3rd line player, 2nd line on a weaker team.  So we sign him and then what?  We don't play Ehlers?  Lowry doesn't get a second year of pro experience under his belt?  Armia doesn't get called up?  Copp doesn't get experience?  Every other year Chevy has taken a flyer on a low-cost player or two because our young guys weren't ready to play in the NHL yet and we had roster spots to fill.  And that's why they were always signed to one or two year deals - so they were not obstructing a roster spot for one of the young guys when they became ready.

What offseason signings did the Jets make this year where the Jets could have accomplished the same thing with Stempniak and instead chose to go with a different player?  Re-signing Peluso?  So Stempniak is a guy we bring in to be an enforcer, sit in the press box for 40 games and play 5 minutes a night the other 40?  Signing Fraser?  So Stempniak is a guy who is going to take a cheap contract, play on the Moose most of the year and be ready to fill in for injuries, and get moved back down without getting claimed by another team?  These are the actual roles for these players, not just a reflection of our surprise that they aren't Stamkos in disguise.  Stempniak is too good a player for those roles.

I have no idea what your point is now - you just admitted Stemp is better than a bunch of  vets on the roster... and then claim that his spot would cost a young player development time.  Then you say Stemp is too good for the roles we need...  how can a player be 'too good' if you signed him on a PTO?

Maybe Ehlers progresses faster if he's playing with Stempniak instead of Thorburn for the first half of the season?  Armia didn't get a shot until Scheif was injured really...

Very basic... Stempniak competes with Burmi, Thorburn, Halischuk for spots...  our bottom half is a problem this year.

To be clear.  Stempniak replaces Thorburn on the third line for the first half of the season... this affect no youth development, nothing.  Just makes this team better.  The end.

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

Sorry to break the news to you, but that is exactly the kind of GM we have...  every other year, Chevy takes a flyer on a low-cost player or two... Stemp could easily have been that guy this year.

Some years it works - i.e. Perrault - and some years it doesn't - i.e. James Wright... it would have worked this year

I'm going to miss the Stempniak threads where as soon as you say something positive about him, someone blows it up into 'you think we would have won the stanley cup if we signed him???  HA!'  Reminds me of the Jerome Messam - thank god we didn't sign him because he doesn't play special teams arguments...

Good thing there haven't been any threads like that then.  The one we've currently been beating the dead horse on is the people seemingly claiming that by not resigning Stempniak it was some sort of epic blunder by Chevy that costed us dearly.

Not signing Lee Stempniak was not an error by the Jets, it was a reasonably calculated low risk move.  Instead of blaming the Jets, people should give NJ the credit. They were the one team willing to give a try out to an aging journeyman with a limited skill set. He panned out, they dealt him and got a return. Good for them.

Considering Lee Stempniak has been mentioned 12894123 times more than he's worth, how about discussing another former Jet we didn't re-sign.

Mike Frolik was a player we just couldn't afford to lose to many people. Now he's a 15 goal, 40 pt man with a fairly hefty price tag until he's 32 on a team no better than the Jets.  

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Considering Lee Stempniak has been mentioned 12894123 times more than he's worth, how about discussing another former Jet we didn't re-sign.

Mike Frolik was a player we just couldn't afford to lose to many people. Now he's a 15 goal, 40 pt man with a fairly hefty price tag until he's 32 on a team no better than the Jets.  

Yup dodged that bullet.  I like Maurice's response to a question about Frolik "I liked Mike very much right up until he decided he didnt want to be a Jet anymore."

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Instead of blaming the Jets, people should give NJ the credit. They were the one team willing to give a try out to an aging journeyman with a limited skill set. He panned out, they dealt him and got a return. Good for them.

I've given them plenty of credit. Good move by them, too bad it wasn't us.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Frolik's been a "15 & 40ish" guy his entire career. Burmi was somewhat of a dud as his replacement, but it was still probably good for us that he walked.

Fun fact: Lee Stempiak's career best point total is higher than Frolik's best.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Matt Fraser, that's all you had to say.

Not true. TUP was one of the first if not the first, poster to mention we might be taking a step back this year.

You can argue about Stemp all you want but the highest he plays on the Jets is 3rd line this year. I'm not sure Copp benefited from NHL time this year or if he would have been better developed on the farm. If Stemp were signed, Copp could have seen much more ice time with the Moose....but then you would be bringing in one more rookie next season...

Fro was mentioned by Chevy in the Q and A but he didn't mention him by name....something about if we had signed someone to 5m, we wouldn't have that money to do other things. Fro is gone and I am glad....sorry we didn't trade him at the TD but oh well, the guys got a taste of the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

To me Ehlers replaced Frolik, just not on the PK.

Did Burmi or Copp replace Stempy?

I guess it's up for interpretation as to who replaced who. It's logical to say Copp replaced Slater. After that any of them can probably can be argued. Petan was in our opening day lineup on the 4th line, so I'd say that's who got Stempniak's spot. Ehler's instead of Tlusty and Burmi for Frolik is how I see it.

Nope. Everyone needs a water boy. 

That's what Pavelec will be. Worst starting goalie in the league the last 6 seasons. The numbers say it all. The guy sucks and he won't play a game for the Czechs unless Mrazek or Neuvirth get hurt. 

Pav to Czechs 

Helle to under 23 

Wheeler and Buff team USA 

That's it for Jets so far 

This whole tournament doesn't really matter in my opinion. It's just nhl guys. It really is just a pointless thing.  

I think the USA has the best roster on paper. Canada is old. 

Edited by Goalie