Montreal Fires OC

iso_55

Fires Turk Schonert, promotes Anthony Calvillo & Ryan Dinwiddie to Co-OC's with AC calling the plays game day. Dumps on Schonert & throws him under the bus. Of course this has nothing to do with the (lack of) talent Popp has brought in. Just bad coaching by Schonert & Higgins.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Football/CFL/Montreal/2015/09/05/22548737.html?cid=rsssportscfl&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Schonert shouldn't have been hired in the first place, but that besides the point. AC and Dinwiddie becoming the OCS isn't a good move imo, Calvillo is in his first year of coaching and went from wr coach to QB coach and now Oc within 2 weeks smh. Also, I guess Popp didn't learn from the last time Dinwiddie was the OC, I seem to recall him along with Wetenhall having to bring in Schonert and Garcia as consultants last year because Dinwiddie was struggling big time, then was demoted and demoted even further for this season.

I wonder how much sway Popp will have with the Wetenhall's (Bob Sr, Jr and Andrew) at the end of this season, he's been putting a craptastic team together since Trestman left, Hawkins was his hire along with the OC that year who's name escapes me, then decides Schonert should be the OC, had no back-up plan for after AC, signed Johnson and Sam for some weird reason and his drafts haven't been that great as of late, he can find offensive linemen, but not much else anymore.

Popp is just showing everyone that he's in charge and you better watch out. The guys a pompous prick and I believe will run that team in to the ground with his massive ego.

I'd take Popp here in a heartbeat, Montreal has been a powerhouse for how many years? Like him or not the guy wins.

Popp is just showing everyone that he's in charge and you better watch out. The guys a pompous prick and I believe will run that team in to the ground with his massive ego.

I'd take Popp here in a heartbeat, Montreal has been a powerhouse for how many years? Like him or not the guy wins.

Were the Als a power house or just the best team in the crappy east for so many years ?

Having AC no doubt helped as well.

How's that been going since AC retired?

Popp is just showing everyone that he's in charge and you better watch out.  The guys a pompous prick and I believe will run that team in to the ground with his massive ego

That may be true but if he gets results and they start winning, the fans will love him.

Schonert shouldn't have been hired in the first place, but that besides the point. AC and Dinwiddie becoming the OCS isn't a good move imo, Calvillo is in his first year of coaching and went from wr coach to QB coach and now Oc within 2 weeks smh. Also, I guess Popp didn't learn from the last time Dinwiddie was the OC, I seem to recall him along with Wetenhall having to bring in Schonert and Garcia as consultants last year because Dinwiddie was struggling big time, then was demoted and demoted even further for this season.

I wonder how much sway Popp will have with the Wetenhall's (Bob Sr, Jr and Andrew) at the end of this season, he's been putting a craptastic team together since Trestman left, Hawkins was his hire along with the OC that year who's name escapes me, then decides Schonert should be the OC, had no back-up plan for after AC, signed Johnson and Sam for some weird reason and his drafts haven't been that great as of late, he can find offensive linemen, but not much else anymore.

Rick Worman

Montreal has a good defense and that's the result of good recruiting.

They have a respectable offensive line with some good canadian talent and that's the result of good recruiting and drafting.

All those injuries at QB are a little beyond Popp's control.  He is now starting a 4th stringer in Tanner Marsh.

While he has seemed to make quite a few hasty and questionable decisions of late, he deserves a few years to see if he can build the team into a Grey Cup contender.  The franchise has made the playoffs every single year of it's existence, dating back to 1994.  9 Grey Cup appearances, 4 Grey Cup wins...he will get the benefit of the doubt if the team fails to make the playoffs.  He just needs to leave the coaching to others.

Popp is just showing everyone that he's in charge and you better watch out.  The guys a pompous prick and I believe will run that team in to the ground with his massive ego

That may be true but if he gets results and they start winning, the fans will love him.

He has a .444 winning percentage as a head coach.  It's not likely. 

Rick Worman

Not Worman, Worman was brought in by Higgins last year then was fired during training camp.

Just looked it up, it was Mike Miller, who it should be noted was also interviewed for the Head coaching job and it should also be noted that one of the reasons Hawkins was hired, was due to him agreeing to coach the Trestman system.

Montreal has a good defense and that's the result of good recruiting.

They have a respectable offensive line with some good canadian talent and that's the result of good recruiting and drafting.

All those injuries at QB are a little beyond Popp's control. He is now starting a 4th stringer in Tanner Marsh.

While he has seemed to make quite a few hasty and questionable decisions of late, he deserves a few years to see if he can build the team into a Grey Cup contender. The franchise has made the playoffs every single year of it's existence, dating back to 1994. 9 Grey Cup appearances, 4 Grey Cup wins...he will get the benefit of the doubt if the team fails to make the playoffs. He just needs to leave the coaching to others.

Nice post bang on.When they get Cato and Crompton back look out.

That bad? Hmm ... Well as has been suggested, maybe he should leave the coaching to others. AC may help.

That bad? Hmm ... Well as has been suggested, maybe he should leave the coaching to others. AC may help.

Not sure why it's a surprise he doesn't have a great coaching record. He goes from GM to coach when things are going poorly, so he's always coaching teams that have problems. I'm surprised it's that high to be honest.

Lewis prior to Schonrt firing.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/tanner-marsh-on-alouettes-loss-to-lions-they-gave-me-a-chance-and-i-blew-it

“Do you want me to say something to be cut or politically correct?” Lewis wondered. “We need to get the ball into the receivers’ hands more and let us make plays. Playmakers make plays. We’re useless without the ball in our hands.”

And if that isn’t a condemnation of Schonert, we’re totally naive.

Lewis, just as quickly, threw his support behind Marsh. “He can only execute the game plan we’re given,” the veteran said, again seemingly directing blame directly at Schonert.

Asked specifically about the play selection and game plan, Lewis did his best to skirt the issue. “That’s above my pay grade,” he said.

“I hope one day to be an offensive co-ordinator and I hope nobody questions my play selection.”

Not sure why it's a surprise he doesn't have a great coaching record. He goes from GM to coach when things are going poorly, so he's always coaching teams that have problems. I'm surprised it's that high to be honest.

Good point. I think he sends a clear message that poor performance will not be tolerated. I wonder if that same message get delivered here.

Cato has been pretty mediocre too for a little bit now. Came in on fire but... guy throws lots of bad picks. Lots of hype after a couple wins but not much since

I'm not a fan of Cato whatsoever, never understood the hype (reminded me of the Elliott hype around here), but IMO easily better than Crompton.