3-4

Floyd

Messam has had 20 carries in a game once in his career.  Most of the time he's in the 7-12 range.  He's never been a feature back.

He has been a feature against us, enough times.....

He will rumble for his 7 yard average 8-10 times during the game. That will not beat us. I like the 3-4 because it will force Smith to look upfield and take away the short passing game from him. He struggles badly when he is forced to look beyond the flats and short yardage passing. We open ourselves up a bit agains the run in order to eliminate the Riders passing threat. Sounds like a trade off that will favor us.

Don't forget that even with all the injuries and turmoil, the Riders have the best offence in the league, and Allen plus Messam might be the best one-two RBs in the CFL. The Bomber front seven have to stop the running game and pressure the Rider QB or we will be in for a long and sad afternoon.

Why would we make a whole sale change to our D like this when its been improving and leave the offense alone? I Dont think we have a nose tackle, and between that and the alignment it could take our one good pass rusher out of the back field.

Why would you think we have no one capable of playing Nose?

Id have to double check to be 100% sure, but i am as certain as i can be with out doing that, that all our DTs have been DTs in 4-3 defense and not a NT in a 3-4 D. Its not only a different position entirely then 4-3 dt, its the key stone of a 3-4. I think bryant turner would be pretty good at playing a 3-4 DE.

Why would we make a whole sale change to our D like this when its been improving and leave the offense alone? I Dont think we have a nose tackle, and between that and the alignment it could take our one good pass rusher out of the back field.

Id have to double check to be 100% sure, but i am as certain as i can be with out doing that, that all our DTs have been DTs in 4-3 defense and not a NT in a 3-4 D. Its not only a different position entirely then 4-3 dt, its the key stone of a 3-4. I think bryant turner would be pretty good at playing a 3-4 DE.

If none of the players have played nose tackle then why would you think a slimmed down Turner would be good at it and not some other larger gentleman we have on the roster. If Collins has been doubleteamed often as has been suggested on the board then we already have our man wouldn't we.

This seems to be a common line of thinking that only one change can happen at a time. If the defensive coordinator feels he can make changes to improve the defense, why should he not because the offense is struggling (unless the head coach says no I would prefer you leave the current system in place)

At my job my department is running pretty well right now. Another department is doing ok and having a few challenges. If I have an idea for a change that will help my results, I'm still going to pursue it regardless of whether another department is making changes or not in response to their issues.

Just because our OC isn't making a lot of changes and the offense is struggling isn't a reason for the DC to sit on his hands if he thinks the defense can be better.   I'm not saying a 3-4 would be better or worse, just that I disagree with the sentiment that the DC shouldn't look at changes because the offense needs more work. 

If none of the players have played nose tackle then why would you think a slimmed down Turner would be good at it and not some other larger gentleman we have on the roster. If Collins has been doubleteamed often as has been suggested on the board then we already have our man wouldn't we.

He said DE