Blowouts & Emergency Surgery: Buck

BigBlue

Calgary makes 2 major mistakes, an INT in the end zone and a blocked punt, they keep playing well and blow us out in the second half. We make two major mistakes, both INT's, we stop playing well and get blown out. It's not just in this one game either. Every team makes mistakes, good ones play through it. We fold. Throw in the towel. Give up. A lot of that's coaching IMO.

The offense was done in the first quarter last Saturday. I'd say they quit as a unit. Maybe not on O'Shea but certainly the offense quit on Bellefeuille & Marve as he was totally unable to do anything at qb.

I don't think they quit, I think they were just in over their heads. 

Please don't get insulting by comparing me to that douchebag. I want this team to win. Nate doesn't because he's a moron. I admit I'm becoming very dissatisfied with this entire regime. I don't think we're much better or further ahead than we were in 2013 & I'm not happy about it as you can probably tell. O'Shea seems as lost as Burke was trying to find the answers but he just handles the situation talking to the media differently.

Hey if you get offended being compared to Nasty Nate don't offend O'Shea comparing him to Burke. He is a way better coach than Burke could ever hope to be. 

I don't see the evidence that O'Shea is better than Burke.  They were both good coordinators with bad head coaching records.  Other than style, what's the difference?

I don't see the players quitting on O'Shea. They gave up on Burke entirely. Yeah the team right now has a hard time rebounding from a couple poor plays, but it's different than a team that just packs it in entirely. I mean just looking at that Calgary game, the defense fought tooth and nail in the first half to try and give the offense all the chances they needed to win but the execution simply wasn't there on offence. With Burke the team visibly checked out about 5 minutes into a game. 

4 blow outs says otherwise

Blow outs aren't the only story. Sometimes a blow out just happens because you're over matched. With Burke the team quit on him and as I said, I don't see the team quitting on O'Shea. I see them getting overwhelmed by negative plays and it takes them a while to recover, at which point the other team has generally opened up an insurmountable lead. This teams problem is it can't shake off poor plays quick enough and can't capitalize well enough on the big plays they do get. Let's look at this past game as an example. Calgary turns the ball over in the endzone, what do the Bombers do? They turn it right back over and Calgary immediately puts it in the endzone. Bombers block a punt and come away with only a field goal. Calgary gets an INT to start the 2nd half and it's in the endzone. See what I mean? Gotta be able to capitalize on the big plays and recover quickly when you make a bad play. 

Blowouts do tell you a lot about the team, and almost half the games this year have been blowout losses. Either the talent just isn't there, or the coaching is lacking. O'Shea may or may not have lost the locker room but the team is spiralling downward once more and the win/loss numbers do not lie. Don Matthews,Scotty Bowman, and many other coaches were not on their players' christmas card lists, but the teams won anyways. The same applies in the business world- it all comes down to results.

I would suggest that given the differences between when we have Willy and when we don`t that it`s the lack of talent more than anything else. This team can not over come injuries anywhere. Is that the coach? No it's the talent. 

This team has no real leadership on offense to keep them in check when the adversity shows up.. To an extent its similar on defense and STs...

st had a monster game tho so i hope they have turned the corner. Defense came to play and kept us around until... Middle of third? After that, they folded up shop as well.... Probably due to the fact they realized they wouldnt be able to win the game on their own.

If the offense had shown any life at all, i dont think this is a blow out.. We may still have lost but by the time brohm was done skipping stones to the recievers, i think everyone had checked out.

Please don't get insulting by comparing me to that douchebag. I want this team to win. Nate doesn't because he's a moron. I admit I'm becoming very dissatisfied with this entire regime. I don't think we're much better or further ahead than we were in 2013 & I'm not happy about it as you can probably tell. O'Shea seems as lost as Burke was trying to find the answers but he just handles the situation talking to the media differently.

Hey if you get offended being compared to Nasty Nate don't offend O'Shea comparing him to Burke. He is a way better coach than Burke could ever hope to be. 

I don't see the evidence that O'Shea is better than Burke.  They were both good coordinators with bad head coaching records.  Other than style, what's the difference?

I don't see the players quitting on O'Shea. They gave up on Burke entirely. Yeah the team right now has a hard time rebounding from a couple poor plays, but it's different than a team that just packs it in entirely. I mean just looking at that Calgary game, the defense fought tooth and nail in the first half to try and give the offense all the chances they needed to win but the execution simply wasn't there on offence. With Burke the team visibly checked out about 5 minutes into a game. 

The team visibly folded after that interception for a TD early in the second half.  The game was still in reach but after the following 2 and out, the defense allowed Calgary to march down the entire field.  Then they did it again and again.  The team quit...don't handle adversity well.  See the 4 blowouts in 9 games already.  Very Burkian-like

The team visibly folded after that interception for a TD early in the second half.  The game was still in reach but after the following 2 and out, the defense allowed Calgary to march down the entire field.  Then they did it again and again.  The team quit...don't handle adversity well.  See the 4 blowouts in 9 games already.  Very Burkian-like

If you can't see a difference between blow outs this year and with Burke then you are a scoreboard watcher only. 

96 yards of O after 3 quarters. Yeah I'd fold too. Why bother really. 2 and out 90 percent of the game. The D didn't fold tho. They just got no help from the O. At all. The O didn't fold. They sucked all game long. 135 or so net O yards. Think about it.

96 yards of O after 3 quarters. Yeah I'd fold too. Why bother really. 2 and out 90 percent of the game. The D didn't fold tho. They just got no help from the O. At all. The O didn't fold. They sucked all game long. 135 or so net O yards. Think about it.

I don't get it. I mean - in Marve's post game comments he said they didnt' have many two and outs and was surprised they only garnered 130 odd yards in total offense. 

I watch the games here all the time. Here's an easy pass - your SB goes on an up and out (to the near side line) and as he's breaking you huck the ball up and he gets it. Nichols and the Eskimos do that play - well 'routinely' would be the wrong word but they do it. Why can't we run plays like that. I don't understand. Other teams do that too. 

During the press conference I was so disappointed in the bomber media - are they paid by the bombers? No really tough questions ( I would have cut Marve some slack but I would have been all over O'Shea and I'd challenge him on the game film - does he not have eyes upstairs relaying info to him - I would have asked him that too).

Like ISO - I'm getting sick of this. And it's deja vu - as I had the same attitude in March - I had pretty much 'officially' dropped the Oilers and decided I was going to go back to cheering for the Jets. However, the draft Lottery and subsequent house cleaning that happened in the Oiler front office has me back on their side (remember folks - the Jets LEFT and even then it took me to the '06 run before I could start investing emotionally in the Oilers and you just don't turn these things 'off'' - at least I don't). 

Eskimos are slowly growing on me - and the bombers are slowly dying in me. Another year or two of this (and especially if the Eskimos go to another Grey Cup) and I may become a complete sell out and the Eskimos may become my team. 

As for the QB thing - I agree Brohm has to go but I would want to make sure. He starts next week on Labour Day, and he starts again in the Banjo Bowl. I'd tell him flat out too if I were MOS, MB, or Buck - this is it Mr.Brohm. If we lose both of these games - the QB we bring in will be the 3rd stringer, Dominique moves to #2 and Marve #1 - you (Brohm) are unemployed and hopefully your university degree is real because you're going to need it. We really don't have a choice and all we can do as fans is hope Brohm can prove us wrong. 

I don't get it. I mean - in Marve's post game comments he said they didnt' have many two and outs and was surprised they only garnered 130 odd yards in total offense. 

I watch the games here all the time. Here's an easy pass - your SB goes on an up and out (to the near side line) and as he's breaking you huck the ball up and he gets it. Nichols and the Eskimos do that play - well 'routinely' would be the wrong word but they do it. Why can't we run plays like that. I don't understand. Other teams do that too. 

During the press conference I was so disappointed in the bomber media - are they paid by the bombers? No really tough questions ( I would have cut Marve some slack but I would have been all over O'Shea and I'd challenge him on the game film - does he not have eyes upstairs relaying info to him - I would have asked him that too).

Like ISO - I'm getting sick of this. And it's deja vu - as I had the same attitude in March - I had pretty much 'officially' dropped the Oilers and decided I was going to go back to cheering for the Jets. However, the draft Lottery and subsequent house cleaning that happened in the Oiler front office has me back on their side (remember folks - the Jets LEFT and even then it took me to the '06 run before I could start investing emotionally in the Oilers and you just don't turn these things 'off'' - at least I don't). 

Eskimos are slowly growing on me - and the bombers are slowly dying in me. Another year or two of this (and especially if the Eskimos go to another Grey Cup) and I may become a complete sell out and the Eskimos may become my team. 

As for the QB thing - I agree Brohm has to go but I would want to make sure. He starts next week on Labour Day, and he starts again in the Banjo Bowl. I'd tell him flat out too if I were MOS, MB, or Buck - this is it Mr.Brohm. If we lose both of these games - the QB we bring in will be the 3rd stringer, Dominique moves to #2 and Marve #1 - you (Brohm) are unemployed and hopefully your university degree is real because you're going to need it. We really don't have a choice and all we can do as fans is hope Brohm can prove us wrong. 

Why wait?  Might as well move on down the road now.  See ya.

Uh, fellows, Dickenson made half time adjustments that got his offense working against Hall.

Marcel could not come up with anything for Stubler.

Thus everyone from the fans to the press to ex-players asking for Marcel to be gone.

This isn't new either, he got the same wrap in Sask, Mtl, Ham and now here.

It's just that simple.

Why wait?  Might as well move on down the road now.  See ya.

I'm pissed yeah & sure I'm bitching but so are a lot of Bomber fans. I haven't given up on this team. I still care. 

I get where you're coming from with this... especially when Edm seems to be very well run for the most part... if I lived in Edm or Cgy I could see myself jumping ship, or at least making them my 1A... but I'd never officially give up on the Bombers... just too emotionally invested my entire life

I get where you're coming from with this... especially when Edm seems to be very well run for the most part... if I lived in Edm or Cgy I could see myself jumping ship, or at least making them my 1A... but I'd never officially give up on the Bombers... just too emotionally invested my entire life

I've lived in the Edm area for 11 years now and that will never happen. I don't know how it could. 

What I saw vs. Calgary was an offence that was hopelessly overmatched. Marve was terrible on the few occasions he was given time, and the OL was an abomination in both run block and pass protection.

Our offensive problems were definitely personnel related. When a QB can't throw accurately, or continually throws into double coverage, that is not a coaching problem. That is a player problem. When an offensive line can't get off the ball to secure their blocks, that is a personnel problem.

If we are going to discuss any of our coaches getting hopelessly outcoached last game, it was Richie Hall. Play after play, the Stamps were able to isolate Rogers and Fuller in man coverage and we were burnt accordingly.

I get that it's easier as fans to blame the coach than to face the stark reality that the lineup we sent out onto the field suck. I, also, get that our coaches haven't been a masterpiece either and have made some poor decisions. However, anyone thinking that our blow out losses against Calgary etc were entirely because of our scheme or poor coaching is huffing paint. We need personnel upgrades before we can even think about being competitive with the upper echelon teams of this league.