Offensive Line Rankings

Atomic

Hurries and QB hits are just as important as sacks.  I'd imagine if you quantified the number of times that the quarterback was hurried along with outright sacks, Edmonton and BC would slide down, Toronto and Calgary would move up.

This is true, but a QB can have a big impact on that out side of the OL. release, a qb thats more prone to scrambling, those numbers could be skewed as a pure reference to the OL. But are certainly very important to the over all pefomance of the OL.  

Hurries and QB hits are just as important as sacks.  I'd imagine if you quantified the number of times that the quarterback was hurried along with outright sacks, Edmonton and BC would slide down, Toronto and Calgary would move up.

This is true, but a QB can have a big impact on that out side of the OL. release, a qb thats more prone to scrambling, those numbers could be skewed as a pure reference to the OL. But are certainly very important to the over all pefomance of the OL.  

QB has more impact on sacks, hurries are entirely on the OL.  It's a much better measure to compare by for pass blocking.

First time I've ever seen anything like this attempted.  Overall ranking is subjective but interesting look at the numbers.  Credit to Mark Fulton @FenderGuy69 on Twitter.

CNYRgGQUcAE5mIg.png

The numbering can be a little confusing, keep in mind it is rankings throughout.  So for example Montreal doesn't have 9 illegal blocks, they have the most illegal blocks and therefore rank 9th.

thanks for posting this, Heel.

it bares out what my impressions were in general (Edmonton and Ottawa have been solid while the Argos have been middling) but I was surprised that Hamilton wasn't higher

I don't have the numbers to back this up but I think you have to look at the effect of a sack in stopping drives whereas hurries and hits can still result in a positive result for a particular play. It seems to me that the loss of a down (you only get two tries really) and the usual loss of yardage is far more important. Also holding penalties are not near as bad as sacks so they can't be given equal weight. At least in a holding penalty situation the team has a chance to recover from the setback  unlike a sack situation where you just might lose the QB altogether as well as down and distance. I have seen that happen a few times. But to summarize this is just musings without statistical backing. Babble on.

I don't have the numbers to back this up but I think you have to look at the effect of a sack in stopping drives whereas hurries and hits can still result in a positive result for a particular play. It seems to me that the loss of a down (you only get two tries really) and the usual loss of yardage is far more important. Also holding penalties are not near as bad as sacks so they can't be given equal weight. At least in a holding penalty situation the team has a chance to recover from the setback  unlike a sack situation where you just might lose the QB altogether as well as down and distance. I have seen that happen a few times. But to summarize this is just musings without statistical backing. Babble on.

Here is a stat on that from the CFL:

171 drives where a team gives up a sack. A touchdown was scored on that same drive only 3 times.

Here is a stat on that from the CFL:

171 drives where a team gives up a sack. A touchdown was scored on that same drive only 3 times.

Wonder how many of those are on 2nd down?

If I may, I'm not sure he's trying to say hurries and hits have the same effect on the game as sacks.  I think he's trying to say that they are a better measure of how well the OL is protecting, because they take the actions of the QB out of the equation for the most part, and the sample size is much larger.

Really tough to measure OL...  some QBs get rid of the ball if they're in trouble, others try to run, others get sacked - its not all on the OL

Actually surprised at Wpg's ranking given that Brohm has played two games

I think that statistical analysis of OL is pretty hard without making up measurements from direct video analysis. 

What makes football great is how complicated it can get and still be a simple as knocking the snot out the other guy.

Baseball has lots of stats for individual players and it seems you can just drop new players into a team and expect good results. In football the interaction between teamates is very critical but hard to measure without video analysis.