NHL To Announce Expansion

gary lawless         @garylawless

Two more NHL teams, every fringe player in the league can now comfortably buy that new boat. Water in summer, watered down in winter.

randy turner         @randyturner15

LRT: Only two weeks after Gary Bettman HNIC interview saying expansion not on NHL "radar", Bettman will announce plans for NHL expansion.

Business is business.  Ill embrace it for that reason.  Nothing you can do about it.  Watered down?  Ofcourse but thats the way it is.

I like Bettman but this is why people dont take him seriously - he lies and lies and lies.  He flat out lied to HNIC two weeks ago.

Interesting aspect is where they expand.  With the Coyotes in disarray, they might want to keep a soft landing spot open for them.  So on one hand, Vegas is the easiest place to move the Coyotes.  But Quebec could be seen as the softest landing spot...a city they dont *want* to return to but know it will succeed.  The difference between Quebec and Winnipeg is that Quebec is likely seen as a city that would pay a massive expansion fee whereas Winnipeg wasnt.  So in essence, Bettman helped Winnipeg out by painting the Jets as doing the NHL a favour and getting the Thrashers for a relative song.

if I had to guess, I'd say expansion to Vegas and Seattle.  With Arizona relocating to Quebec.  But it could just as easily be expansion to Quebec and Vegas with Seattle as the back up plan.  But Seattle is the furthest from ready and if the Yotes go t!ts up over night, they need a quicky relocation.  Quebec is the easiest and Vegas is pretty easy too once the arena is complete.

Bettman is such a typical lawyer...greasy piece of ****. **** that guy. Anything to make money for the Governors, even at the cost of the quality of games.

Its been said before but deserves repeating:  Bettman doesnt run the NHL, the owners do.  Bettman serves at their pleasure.  They want more teams, more money and a wider TV deal.  Its Bettman's job to go out and do it.  He does a very, very good job.  Just no reason for him to lie.

Bettman is such a typical lawyer...greasy piece of ****. **** that guy. Anything to make money for the Governors, even at the cost of the quality of games.

Its been said before but deserves repeating:  Bettman doesnt run the NHL, the owners do.  Bettman serves at their pleasure.  They want more teams, more money and a wider TV deal.  Its Bettman's job to go out and do it.  He does a very, very good job.  Just no reason for him to lie.

It's not the point of him lying or not and who he serves. He's not just some robot who serves his masters. He holds his own opinions articulated by his own style that may or may not influence what his bosses want. Regardless, his approach to dealing with professional issues while reporting to his bosses can and continues to rub some people the wrong way.  It happens to all of us, some more than others.

It's not the point of him lying or not and who he serves. He's not just some robot who serves his masters. He holds his own opinions articulated by his own style that may or may not influence what his bosses want. Regardless, his approach to dealing with professional issues while reporting to his bosses can and continues to rub some people the wrong way.  It happens to all of us, some more than others.

I get that he rubs people the wrong way with his style.  Personally I think he can be rather witty and a good interview.  He's done a lot of good for the NHL.  I also understand why he lies when it comes to things like the Thrashers moving, Coyotes etc.  But to say just two weeks ago "Expansion is not on our radar" when that was a lie is rather silly.  It pushes the media away from you because they cant trust you.  And any corporation or league wants and needs a certain amount of media trust.  he could have said "We are very happy with the overall health of the league and franchises and there have been many unofficial expressions of interest that we will consider at an appropriate time".  Done.

And while his opinion and expertise influences the owners (to a degree I think Bettman might have been Winnipeg's best friend at the NHL in the lead up to the return of the Jets), he serves his masters.  They want the league to grow and increase revenues.  When you have people willing to pay upwards of $500 million expansion fees, you formulate a plan to expand.  Period.

Sigh....

The game we love is once again being threatened by greed.

Expansion? Yuck. More games, more fringe players, more, more, more.

I wish we could take our game and our trophy back.

Go home Yankees, go home.

Love...

The main problem in this league is lack of interest in the south (Primarily Arizona and Florida). What needs to happen is for those two teams to relocate to different spots. Instead, not only is Bettman avoiding the problem by adding MORE teams rather than moving them, but he also wants to get a team in Las Vegas which is yet another desert location that probably doesn't care enough about hockey.

Arizona and Florida should be moving to Seattle and Quebec and no team goes to Vegas. The league stays at 30 teams so that the talent doesn't get watered down.

When you have people willing to pay upwards of $500 million expansion fees, you formulate a plan to expand. Period.

This. The league spends a few million vetting candidates and cashes a cool $1B check for their trouble. That's a hard proposition to turn down.

Local news in Seattle is actually starting to pay attention to the idea of the NHL now too. I know I've said all along that I doubt we'd get a team here but hey maybe it'll happen. There's miles to go on a new arena though; Bettman himself has said that the current arena is completely inadequate.