NHL To Announce Expansion

If both teams come in at once, I wonder what the protection rules will be for the expansion draft....I think the last one was something like ... 1 goalie, 5 D-men and 9 Forwards. We're smiling if that's the case. I am assuming a draft in 2017.

If both teams come in at once, I wonder what the protection rules will be for the expansion draft....I think the last one was something like ... 1 goalie, 5 D-men and 9 Forwards. We're smiling if that's the case. I am assuming a draft in 2017.

Just our luck.  The Jets will be a powerhouse of young players just in time to lose a couple of top six/top pairing guys to expansion.

I always found the old arena so steep that if you fell down the stairs there was a real risk of going over the side to the lower bowl which would surely kill you and potentially anyone below you.

In 1980, I had Jets season tickets in the east upper deck & stumbled. Fell down about 5 rows. I had to go to the hospital for treatment as I really gashed my right leg. So bloody steep. Never occurred to me to sue Winnipeg Enterprises. I should have. 

Las Vegas and Quebec have been invited to phase 2 of the expansion process.

Has to be a done deal.  Both cities have buildings and wealthy ownership groups.  We know the NHL wants to go to Vegas.  They literally have no choice now but to go with Quebec.  I suspect they will make Quebec play in the west for a couple of years.

Why not just push Detroit west?

Just our luck.  The Jets will be a powerhouse of young players just in time to lose a couple of top six/top pairing guys to expansion.

Not if the rules don't change much from the last expansion draft. Scheif, Troubs and Lowry would need to be protected as would Hutchinson, Hellebuyck, Komaschuk, Copp, Lipon,  Armia, Olsen and Telegin. ELC players are exempt from the draft.

Protect

1 goalie

Hellebuyck

5 d-men

Trouba

Myers

Buff

Enstom

Chiarot

9 forwards

Scheifele

Lowry

Wheeler

Ladd

Little

Copp

Armia

Perrault if he extends

Burmi?

Komaschuk?

Lipon?

this is 11 forwards which is 2 too many.

I don't think I am forgetting anyone higher on the prospect list.

We might lose Stuart and we'd probably lose Hutch. If we lost Komaschuk and Lipon would it hurt us that much?

Now, if the draft happens in 2018, we would lose some quality players; however, we might be able to lose an expensive contract of an aging player, too.

Has to be a done deal.  Both cities have buildings and wealthy ownership groups.  We know the NHL wants to go to Vegas.  They literally have no choice now but to go with Quebec.  I suspect they will make Quebec play in the west for a couple of years.

Why not just push Detroit west?

Detroit just went East. I think if both teams enter and Quebec goes East and Vegas goes West, the next team (Seattle?) goes to the West.

Yeah, agreed. There's no way with the fact that only two teams applied that they won't be accepted. Not unless they want 31 teams instead of 32 which would likely not happen.

You could move Carolina to the central. Tennessee and Carolina have a great rivalry in college football and basketball so with that in mind...

LA SJ Anaheim Vegas Arizona Edmonton Vancouver Calgary

Chicago St Louis Minnesota Dallas Nashville Carolina Winnipeg Colorado

Toronto Montreal Ottawa Qcity bos buff Detroit Tampa

NYR nyi NJ Philly Pitt Washington Columbus

Florida I suppose

Florida or Tampa in the Metropolitan division and the other with Toronto

Or the other option is QC in the Met and both Florida teams with Toronto

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/26/carolina-hurricanes-sale-quebec-move

There’s also the long-running and so far futile attempt by owner Peter Karmanos to sell some or all of his stake in the team.

Karmanos announced last summer that he was looking to divest himself of the Hurricanes for something around $400 million after more than 20 years of ownership.

As Luke DeCock reported in the News-Observer on Wednesday, there was a group of local investors circling the team for a time but they eventually backed away due to Karmanos’ insistence on retaining some level of control after the sale

After six consecutive playoff DNQs, the Canes are a diminishing asset on the local sports scene. The team ranked 29th in attendance in the NHL last season with an average of just 12,594, down nearly 3,000 from 2013-14 and ahead only of Florida. Season ticket sales dropped a staggering 23%, leading to a 67.4% building capacity

Despite Karmanos’s intentions, at some point the pool of local options will be exhausted. And that opens the door, at least slightly, to relocation.

“The Hurricanes aren’t the only candidate to move, but they’re the only team with a for-sale sign in the yard at the moment.”

ALSO:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article32357781.html

While Francis denied the uncertainty surrounding the team’s ownership is hampering negotiations, the fact remains the Hurricanes have done very little this summer while owner Peter Karmanos continues to seek a buyer for the franchise.

Karmanos announced last September he would like to sell some or all of his majority interest in the team but wanted to continue to run the franchise

It is Karmanos’ prerogative to get the best deal for the franchise but the longer this drags on, the more danger it presents for the team’s future here.

Even though the NHL has been steadfastly against franchise relocation, and it seems short-sighted and self-defeating to allow a team to move in the middle of an expansion process that could generate $1 billion for the owners, Karmanos included, there’s a worst-case scenario for Hurricanes fans.

The Hurricanes aren’t the only candidate to move, but they’re the only team with a for-sale sign in the yard at the moment, and Quebec would likely pay a premium for the franchise.

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Why expand if they aren't ready?

Did they even apply?

Put one in Vegas for 2017-2018 and see what Quebec and Seattle and everyone else come up with...

NHL don't like separatists

The application fee was $10 million, including $2 million nonrefundable.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg