Odds and Sods.....X2 Game, Hamilton at Winnipeg

This ongoing debate just seems like the strangest thing to me.

Here's what the coaches want - to call a play and have the QB execute that play.

The current positioning of QBs on our roster very accurately reflects their ability to do that.

Coaches also understand that plays break down and QBs will have to take matters into their own hands.  They want these occurrences to be in the minority, not multiple times per series.

If the coaches want their QBs to "go wing it" on almost every play, then they are being mule-headed, because Marve is easily best at that.

Marve has a special set of athletic skills.  Hopefully the mental side of it catches up.  That is not an insult to his intelligence.  Dunnigan said he didn't feel entirely comfortable in the CFL game until his 7th year in the league.  It doesn't work to make a QB in the microwave.

All of the other debate aside, one thing I noticed that no one has brought up yet:

On the one series of plays in the first quarter where Marve was brought in and did run the plays exactly the way the coaches wanted them run, it was the QB sneak at the goal line. And he struggled mightily. Not sure where the blame lies, but it was so predictable it was frustrating to watch. he doesn't take the ball and just push the pile behind centre, he likes to take it left or right for about 3-5 steps before cutting in, and the club has run the same play every time in goal line situations with him going back to last year. Teams have figured it out now (they started to last year, IMO) and rather than plunge over the centre the linebackers just hold back, read which way Marve runs and then collapse the line on that side, and he hasn't shown great strength in pushing the line forward. Hope either he changes his approach, the club disguises it better, or they just leave Willy in to give the illusion of a pass. That's one area I thought Portis looked OK in as a big QB who could surge on a QB keeper. Just my 2 cents, any other opinions?

I think it took 5 tries and eventually Marshall ran it in for a penalty-assisted TD on a possession that started out at around the 3 yard line. Bombers have sucked at short yardage plays for several years now. And we are particularly bad at short Red Zone. A few years back Goltz got folks excited for awhile with a QB sweep to the corner post but that got predictable after awhile too. Hope we can correct this as we have the option of the 2-point conversion from the 3 under the new rules, I believe.

He never got a chance to punt during the game (probably insurance reasons for that) but the punter from the Rifles was hoofing a few at halftime and he looked decent.  Great arc and hang time, decent distance.  I could see him getting a contract offer from the Bombers in the future, something along the lines of a territorial exemption thing like Goodrich.  If it applies.

Brad Mikoluff  #74.    

He still has eligibility for the Rifles, so if the Bombers like him, they can keep him as a non-counter all year.  He is able to practise with the Bombers and play with the Rifles.   It's a nice insurance deal for the Bombers because if they need a punter in a pinch, they can sign and dress him and he already knows the playbook, the players, and the coaches.  This is a special deal open to all CJFL players who didn't play CIS.   Each CFL team can have up to 4 local junior players in camp under this program.   I suspect that the Bombers will keep both Mikoluff and Braedy Will  around this year.

CH-DgViUwAAKQJZ.jpg

Self edit:  If he does dress for a regular season game, he loses the special status.  At that point he would have to sign a contract and be a "counter".

That guy has the butt of an o-lineman...

Not the camera adding 10 pounds - that guy looked THICK.

If other teams try to block one of his punts he could/should go all Nelson Munz on them.

This ongoing debate just seems like the strangest thing to me.

Here's what the coaches want - to call a play and have the QB execute that play.

The current positioning of QBs on our roster very accurately reflects their ability to do that.

Coaches also understand that plays break down and QBs will have to take matters into their own hands.  They want these occurrences to be in the minority, not multiple times per series.

If the coaches want their QBs to "go wing it" on almost every play, then they are being mule-headed, because Marve is easily best at that.

Marve has a special set of athletic skills.  Hopefully the mental side of it catches up.  That is not an insult to his intelligence.  Dunnigan said he didn't feel entirely comfortable in the CFL game until his 7th year in the league.  It doesn't work to make a QB in the microwave.

All of the other debate aside, one thing I noticed that no one has brought up yet:

On the one series of plays in the first quarter where Marve was brought in and did run the plays exactly the way the coaches wanted them run, it was the QB sneak at the goal line. And he struggled mightily. Not sure where the blame lies, but it was so predictable it was frustrating to watch. he doesn't take the ball and just push the pile behind centre, he likes to take it left or right for about 3-5 steps before cutting in, and the club has run the same play every time in goal line situations with him going back to last year. Teams have figured it out now (they started to last year, IMO) and rather than plunge over the centre the linebackers just hold back, read which way Marve runs and then collapse the line on that side, and he hasn't shown great strength in pushing the line forward. Hope either he changes his approach, the club disguises it better, or they just leave Willy in to give the illusion of a pass. That's one area I thought Portis looked OK in as a big QB who could surge on a QB keeper. Just my 2 cents, any other opinions?

I kinda brought it up in the gameday thread, as in I suggested I'd charge the field and strangle Bellefeiulle if that becomes a regular feature of the Bomber offence.

They recognize Marve's athleticism and want to get him involved, but this is not something he's great at.  Plus you're taking out your starting QB, so you've essentially declared to the defence that the next play has about a 95% chance of being a run.  Marve is making his big run plays when the defence still has no choice but to pretend the play call is 50% pass.  The field is already compressed when you're at the 2 yard line, now even more defensive players can cheat down into the box.  Marve doesn't charge like a bull or twist like a snake, he's just really fast.  Having him slide one yard to the right and run into a different part of the pile is a useless idea.

It was preseason.  Maybe this is just the setup for the next team to bite when Marve runs a read-option play instead.  If not, kickstarter campaign for bail money could be needed.  I don't put that on Marve though.  That bad idea wasn't his idea.

He never got a chance to punt during the game (probably insurance reasons for that) but the punter from the Rifles was hoofing a few at halftime and he looked decent.  Great arc and hang time, decent distance.  I could see him getting a contract offer from the Bombers in the future, something along the lines of a territorial exemption thing like Goodrich.  If it applies.

Brad Mikoluff  #74.    

He still has eligibility for the Rifles, so if the Bombers like him, they can keep him as a non-counter all year.  He is able to practise with the Bombers and play with the Rifles.   It's a nice insurance deal for the Bombers because if they need a punter in a pinch, they can sign and dress him and he already knows the playbook, the players, and the coaches.  This is a special deal open to all CJFL players who didn't play CIS.   Each CFL team can have up to 4 local junior players in camp under this program.   I suspect that the Bombers will keep both Mikoluff and Braedy Will  around this year.

CH-DgViUwAAKQJZ.jpg

Self edit:  If he does dress for a regular season game, he loses the special status.  At that point he would have to sign a contract and be a "counter".

If other teams try to block one of his punts he could/should go all Nelson Munz on them.

I honestly thought that was a picture of Stan Mikawos.

The Marve fan club needs to pump their brakes a bit. Even Marve understands he needs to get better at some things, why can't the fanbois accept that? I like the guy too, I hope he does keep progressing, but pretending that he doesn't have things to work on is just getting annoying. 

Problem is if the status quo remains through to the end of the season Marve is gone and the Bombers are stuck with a 31 year old career backup.

Brad Mikoluff  #74.    

CH-DgViUwAAKQJZ.jpg

I honestly thought that was picture of Stan Mikawos.

Stan wore #77 I believe.

MB's offence is based on standing in the pocket and delivering the football. His is a game management style where we dink and dunk down the field and stretch it when we can. willy and brohm are "built" to run this offence.. Hence, 1 and 2. Marve can definitely be the change of pace guy who moves the sticks with moxy and ad libbing when the offence is stagnant BUT the whole concept is not designed with his skills in place..

Maybe one day the offence will be retooled if it's deemed willy and brohm are not the answer but I assume that would also mean MB's departure.

Marve's style of play really shouldn't matter. The priority for this team should be to win, and Marve gives the team a much better chance at winning than Brohm.

MB's offence is based on standing in the pocket and delivering the football. His is a game management style where we dink and dunk down the field and stretch it when we can. willy and brohm are "built" to run this offence.. Hence, 1 and 2. Marve can definitely be the change of pace guy who moves the sticks with moxy and ad libbing when the offence is stagnant BUT the whole concept is not designed with his skills in place..

Maybe one day the offence will be retooled if it's deemed willy and brohm are not the answer but I assume that would also mean MB's departure.

Marve's style of play really shouldn't matter. The priority for this team should be to win, and Marve gives the team a much better chance at winning than Brohm.

sounds like the only people who really matter vehemently disagree with this...so I'm going to just go ahead and say this is likely wrong.

If Marve were ever names starter, other teams would change their game plan. He wouldn't be as effective as when we see him in short spurts now.

...a big thing people are forgetting is that we always see him in garbage time, and even then, it's such a limited sample size. Nobody has any clue where this guy fits in the depth chart except the coaches who've gone over every single snap in practice and games...

If Marve were ever named starter, other teams would change their game plan. He wouldn't be as effective as when we see him in short spurts now.

Maybe, maybe not, but the point is that Marve has earned the opportunity to be the backup. He has effectively moved the offense in limited reps while Brohm has shown a lot more bad than good (in practice as well as in game action). How are we ever going to know what we have in Marve if we don't give him a decent amount of playing time?

If Marve were ever named starter, other teams would change their game plan. He wouldn't be as effective as when we see him in short spurts now.

Maybe, maybe not, but the point is that Marve has earned the opportunity to be the backup. He has effectively moved the offense in limited reps while Brohm has shown a lot more bad than good (in practice as well as in game action). How are we ever going to know what we have in Marve if we don't give him a decent amount of playing time?

If this were true do you really believe he'd be the backup? At this point I truly believe that if Marve took a **** on your kitchen table you'd kiss his feet in thanks. 

If Marve were ever names starter, other teams would change their game plan. He wouldn't be as effective as when we see him in short spurts now.

...a big thing people are forgetting is that we always see him in garbage time, and even then, it's such a limited sample size. Nobody has any clue where this guy fits in the depth chart except the coaches who've gone over every single snap in practice and games...

What do you consider garbage time? The only appearance of his that you could possibly consider being in "garbage time" would have been his last.. Well, maybe week 17 against Calgary last year, but even then, could you still consider it garbage time when he made it a 10-point deficit?

Besides, if it's that easy to perform in garbage time, why did Brohm fail to do so against Edmonton last year?

What do you consider garbage time? The only appearance of his that you could possibly consider being in "garbage time" would have been his last.. Well, maybe week 17 against Calgary last year, but even then, could you still consider it garbage time when he made it a 10-point deficit?

at one point he had made it a 3 point deficit.

Besides, if it's that easy to perform in garbage time, why did Brohm fail to do so against Edmonton last year?

Cuz Edmonton D is very good. They would have ate Marve up too