UFA and RFA

Ducky

who is going to be retired in 5 years? Not Hall.

After the Gretzky trade you should know htere are no untradables but Trouba would be close.

Trade Buff for a guy that makes the same????????? One is a you ng elite LW and the other is Buff....you think they are the same kind of player?

Edmonton is in dire need of D men and goaltending, they will make a trade.

Value doesn't matter, the key fact here is that Edmonton isn't trying to move Hall, you want an elite star player you gotta pay up. He's an untouchable so to get him better offer your untouchables. You don't need to trade elite players to fill holes on defence or in net. What is happening is people are getting this idea that the Oilers are so desperate for a body on D or in net they'll make a stupid trade, not going to happen. You want Hall or Eberle or Yakupov or RNH or Draisaitl then untouchables need to start being touched. 

I think it's more like if Edmonton fans want legit help on D, those untouchables will need to be moved.

It's cool, i really have no interest in any Edmonton player, Eberle would be the guy i would want but i wouldn't give up a top 4 d man for him unless that guy was Buff and i doubt the Oilers do that so really it's a moot point. 

I think it's more like if Edmonton fans want legit help on D, those untouchables will need to be moved.

It's cool, i really have no interest in any Edmonton player, Eberle would be the guy i would want but i wouldn't give up a top 4 d man for him unless that guy was Buff and i doubt the Oilers do that so really it's a moot point. 

But, again, as Dave just said -- that's not true. They can get what they need without moving that core group. Sure, a guy like Yakupov might go, but none of those real "core" guys is going to get dealt unless there's an equally "untouchable" player coming back....

Guess we will see what happens with a new coach and gm... Not sure if it makes that big of a difference. we will see what they add or who they try to trade for... don't think they will get much if they aren't willing to give up much. 

His top end talent is better than Trouba's right now. Trouba is far more consistent with far more upside over the next five years as Buff ages. Contract situation is far better where Trouba is concerned.

Trouba's pretty inconsistent. He had some ugly games this season, he just got more of a pass for it b/c he's still really young.

There's no question in my mind Trouba is more valuable to us long term, but I think the question is more "why can't we have both?" It's hard to argue this property b/c we have no idea what he's asking for, or what the Jets are willing to give him.

I definitely agree with this. But Trouba's highs and lows aren't as glaring as Buffs. If you can only have one the answer is clear. Trouba is ahead of buff.

Personally of buff was willing to take $4 million per for three years then that's pretty attractive. But logically that is unlikely. I don't want to be hamstrung for years because of a bad signing. It's like kane for different reasons. Would it have been nice to keep kane? Sure. But him leaving brought in pieces that improved the team in the short term and arguably the long term.

what did the isles give up for leddy and boychuck?don't need to move the big pieces to fill holes, only to land other big pieces

what did the isles give up for leddy and boychuck?don't need to move the big pieces to fill holes, only to land other big pieces

With new bosses in town, my guess is that no one, outside of McDavid, will be left out of conversations of possible scenarios of change. They will want to put their own mark on this team and give a sense of direction this team is taking in quite short order.  

With new bosses in town, my guess is that no one, outside of McDavid, will be left out of conversations of possible scenarios of change. They will want to put their own mark on this team and give a sense of direction this team is taking in quite short order.  

But again, those new bosses aren't ******* who are in the business of trading top assets for scraps. Especially considering how that Seguin trade that Chiarelli was forced to do worked out for him. You can solidify your D and goaltending without having to give up high end forwards to get OK players in return. Those players should only be moved if you're getting the same kind of star power in return. 

Look at what Chiarelli did in Boston. That team had great goaltending and defense and he was a big part of building that up and he didn't need to trade high end players to do it. Smart GMs don't over pay for a quick fix. Edmonton isn't in a cap crunch at this time, they can easily fit their young forwards in the mix for at least the length of McDavids entry level contract, after that things change, but by that point perhaps it makes more sense to ship some people out. They will also have the added bonus of recovering some value after Eakins came in and lowered the value of everyone on that team. 

This is really about fans of another team who don't follow the Oilers, but are hearing this myth about how the Oilers "have to trade one of the core guys in order to improve" and just believe it out of habit. It's not true, and people who follow the Oilers regularly know.

This is really about fans of another team who don't follow the Oilers, but are hearing this myth about how the Oilers "have to trade one of the core guys in order to improve" and just believe it out of habit. It's not true, and people who follow the Oilers regularly know.

More correctly said would be that's an opinion that it's not true. I live in Edmonton and I hear a variety of perspectives, some from experts, some from informed fans and some from armchair quarterbacks. There is no one single truth about what the Oilers need to do based on what the 'experts' and 'informed fans' are saying.

All I'm personally saying is, this new regime will look at every possible scenario, minimizing any previous bias's that may have been in place influencing the direction of this club. 

The other thing that people wrongly assume is that the Oilers are in a situation where they need warm bodies on defense so they'll try and send a #4 D + some crap for a big name. The Oilers have plenty of guys who can play in the bottom 4 of a defense, what they really need are guys who can play top pair minutes on D. It's not just about making trades and getting people, it's about getting the right kind of people. 

Other than the other 20 times you and 17to85 have said this, this is the first time I've heard this point.

We gave up Evander Kane to get Tyler Myers (other pieces involved ofcourse).  What would the Oilers have had to give up to get him?

For just Myers, I might gift you Yakupov, but there might have to be a trade of picks in there. Like a Jets 2nd for an Oilers 4th or something...

The Jets trade for Meyers was a completely different scenario involving a bunch of other pieces as well. Kane had lowered value because of his history with the team, Bogosian was needed to get Buffalo to move Meyers as well. 

If there was a trade with Winnipeg I think the guy to look at is Buff, but it'll be something built around picks and prospects for him not players. 

We gave up Evander Kane to get Tyler Myers (other pieces involved ofcourse).  What would the Oilers have had to give up to get him?

For just Myers, I might gift you Yakupov, but there might have to be a trade of picks in there. Like a Jets 2nd for an Oilers 4th or something...

Yak for Myers?  And you'd want more from Winnipeg?

Yak is the most underrated player going right now. Dallas Eakins ****** that situation up good but Yakupov isn't a lost cause. It took a few games to really start erasing the damage but he did finish the season with something like 20 points in the final 28 games, he's a hard working player with some under rated physicality and a deadly shot. Oiler players shouldn't be valued based on what they showed with the Dallas Eakins Regression Phenomenon (DERP) in place. That's how you wind up trading good defencemen like Jeff Petry for the garbage return McTavish got for him. 

Yakupov is a good hockey player that's going to bust out at some point. As much as I'd like to see it be with the Oilers, I think it'll be somewhere else. If people knew how bad that guy's career was ****** up/stunted by Dallas Eakins...

The problem with Yakupov is that after 3 years in the NHL, the guy hasn't lived up to the hype of a 1st overall pick.

You can sit here and speculate that the problems lay on the shoulders of a coach, and that may be true, only time will tell. But as of today, Yakupov hasn't yet proven he deserved to be taken 1st overall.  So far, you would have to say he is a bust.  It will be interesting to see if that changes.

Rumours of locker room issues and bolting to the KHL persist (I'm sure KHL rumours have subsided with the condition that league is in right now).

If Edmonton really believes his potential is better then he has shown so far, then they would be foolish to trade him when his value is at his lowest.  His salary is still relatively cheap, so I don't see an upside to them trading him right now, unless someone dangles something special, and I don't know who would do that. I certainly hope it isn't Chevy.