UFA and RFA

Ducky

The Big Show guys were discussing a Dreger report that the Jets are working to lock up both Ladd & Buff.

Interesting...

Not sure why that is news now since Chevy said it in his press conference after the Jets were eliminated. 

I suspect is news if Dreger just reported it.  Presumably he reported it for a reason.

Dreger is sometimes reliable. 

If Bob McKenzie reported it, I think i'd believe it more but... i wouldn't be surprised if Buff and Ladd both sign extensions... They are our leaders really and if they can agree on the length and a reasonable cap hit then hope they both sign for sure. 

I hope Buff signs if it's a 3 year-ish deal for around $6 million.  But this talk of $8 million and six years as a starting point have me worried.  Myers deal allows them some wiggle room to over-pay another D man but still....

Although it does make you wonder if True North has upped the budget from "we will never be a cap team" to "we can afford to be a cap team".  As the Big Show guys said also, investing in Ladd & Buff (moreso Buff because I think Ladd can contribute for many years) implies a desire to win now over winning 5 years from now.  If they bring Buff back its to win with him. 

I just think there is too much risk in Buff being an albatross around their necks in a couple years.

and the guy we just signed is a lefty who isn't even ready for the NHL  yet

Who, Chase De Leo?  He's a skilled player who will be seasoning with the Moose for a couple of years. 

One thing Ive noticed is, we have several small forwards coming up.  The Jets mantra seemed to be size and speed.  Ehlers, Petan, De Leo...others?  Interesting, there was a recent article about size not being as big a concern in the NHL now.

Who, Chase De Leo?  He's a skilled player who will be seasoning with the Moose for a couple of years. 

One thing Ive noticed is, we have several small forwards coming up.  The Jets mantra seemed to be size and speed.  Ehlers, Petan, De Leo...others?  Interesting, there was a recent article about size not being as big a concern in the NHL now.

I'm ok with the Jets going with higher end skill guys at the expense of size. Smaller guys do alright in the NHL as long as they have good leg/hip strength to say on the puck. You can usually find bigger players in the mid rounds of the draft. Skill+size will always be number one, but I'll go with skill-size over size-skill every day of the week. The Jets do have some bigger guys in the pipeline (albeit with less high end skill). Copp, Armia, Blomqvist and Lemieux come to mind. 

actually he could be with the moose right now since he is 20

for how many years tho?

5 years at 7.5 I could live with but if he doesn't sign, buh-bye.

Should get a prospect, 1st round pick and a player for him.

I still say Deadmonton is a the team we should be trading with.

FA starts on the July 1 but I think you can talk to them June 25.

Drew Stafford was mentioned in a recent rumor mill.  Good news for us if that holds true.

The Winnipeg Jets and winger Drew Stafford (a pending UFA) are working toward a new contract.

Stafford meshed quickly with the Jets following his arrival from Buffalo in the Evander Kane deal. Don’t be surprised if he stays in Winnipeg.

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-rumor-mill-june-15-2015/

I can't believe Jeff Petry got 5.5m for 6 years....what is Buff going to be asking for?

Jeff Petry is a good defenseman. He made whoever his partner was on the Oilers look better. Yeah he was a bit miscast as a #1 defencemen and had some struggles when doing too much but the dude could play the game. As a #3 he is perfect for the role. The way McTavish bungled that situation is likely what ultimately got him fired cause it was the #2 mistake after Eakins. Could have had him locked up for about 4 million a year but didn't want to pay him that much. Just idiocy.