UFA and RFA

Ducky

I don't really think Postma and Odell get new deals, i think they let them walk really. If there is a next, it will be stafford,stempniak or frolik signing. I don't see us signing guys like Postma and Odell. Just don't see the point really, it's pretty obvious Maurice had zero faith in them. 

I don't really think Postma and Odell get new deals, i think they let them walk really. If there is a next, it will be stafford,stempniak or frolik signing. I don't see us signing guys like Postma and Odell. Just don't see the point really, it's pretty obvious Maurice had zero faith in them.

Odell maybe but Maurice liked Postma. He wasn't playing later in the year because he got hurt but before that he was getting plenty of ice. I think they will re-sign Postma.

Myers.Trouba,Buff... Where is their room for Postma? Unless Buff i'm gonna say gets dealt, I don't see Postma signing here.

I think he has a better chance to play elsewhere.

Right because we only keep 6 defencemen on the roster. Just kidding that was sarcasm we always have 8 or more.

Redmond was too was he not and the Jets let him sign in Colorado. 

All being an RFA means is really a team could sign Postma and then the Jets would have to decide if they wanted to match it or not, they chose not to with Redmond. 

I don't think Postma signs. I think if guys like Postma and Odell would have been signed, it would have been announced by now. Then again, who knows... last 2 days they have announced 2 signings but honestly i think it's enough of the bottom of the depth chart and now next needs to be one of frolik,stafford or stempniak. 

Redmond was too was he not and the Jets let him sign in Colorado. 

All being an RFA means is really a team could sign Postma and then the Jets would have to decide if they wanted to match it or not, they chose not to with Redmond. 

I don't think Postma signs. I think if guys like Postma and Odell would have been signed, it would have been announced by now. Then again, who knows... last 2 days they have announced 2 signings but honestly i think it's enough of the bottom of the depth chart and now next needs to be one of frolik,stafford or stempniak. 

You are not entirely correct on what being an RFA means. If someone else offers an RFA a contract and the player signs, the team who owns his rights can either match or let him walk. If the player walks, they get compensation from the signing team in the form of draft picks. The draft picks awarded are based on the contract signed. The higher the contract dollar value, the better the draft picks awarded.

Most teams don't do this because if you get the player to sign a reasonable contract, the team who owns his rights will match and the only thing accomplished is you've done the negotiating for them. If you put a big dollar value in front of the player to scare off the team who owns their rights, then you end up increasing the compensation (draft picks) you have to give.

Redmond was an UFA.  Because of his injury that put him out for most of that one season and the time spent in the minors the prior years, he didn't play enough NHL games to retain RFA status.  

Postma has to sign or not play. No one is going to tender an RFA offer sheet on a fringe NHLer. They would have to give up compensation if he signed with another team.  He could however elect to go to arbitration (Unlikely for Postma, and that is why you are seeing guys like Chiarot and Peluso signed right now. They are easier deals to make).  Odell may fall in the same category as Redmond as he hasn't played many NHL games but I haven't checked his stats.  Odell is pretty much a career AHLer anyway.

And you do know that Chevy and his team negotiate multiple contracts with different agents at the same time. If they are working on Postma it doesn't mean that they can't work on signing Stafford at the same time. Different deals get done in different time frames.

Those lower end contracts are important too as they also need to fill out their depth and supply the farm team.  Tons of moving pieces in the off season, especially with the draft only a week away.

Unrestricted Free Agents - Group 6 (UFA6)

Player qualifies for unrestricted free agency, having met the requirements for Group 6 free agency. This group is defined as players whose contracts have expired, are age 25 or older, have completed three or more professional seasons, and (i) in the case of a player other than a goaltender, have played less than 80 NHL games (regular-season and playoff), or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, have played less than 28 NHL games (regular-season and playoff). Please note that these amounts are subject to pro-rating due to the 48-game season in 2012-13

Just checked.  From the Jets players on the farm team last year, the following will be UFAs:

Peter Budaj

Will O'Neil

John Albert

Patrice Cormier

Eric O'Dell 

RFAs:

Keaton Ellerby

Julian Melchiori

Jussi Olkinura

Ivan Telegin

I would expect most of the RFAs re-signed this year, if only to keep the Moose supplied with players. Probably a few of the UFAs as well. It depends which prospects they project moving to the farm club this year and how many spots they need.

For the Jets, the UFAs are:

Frolik

Halischuk

Slater

Stafford

Stempniak

Tlusty

Pardy

RFAs for the Jets:

Peluso

Chiarot

Postma

So only Postma is left of that bunch.

Tlusty is gone.

Will re-sign Postma. Probably Stafford and Stemp.

Forgot about Halischuck. I like him but probably no room

Ya that was sarcasm about Tlusty.  What do you mean no room for Halischuk?  We don't have many forwards under contract... yet.  There might still be a spot for Hali, especially on a nice 2-way deal.

Tlusty is gone.

Will re-sign Postma. Probably Stafford and Stemp.

Forgot about Halischuck. I like him but probably no room

Ya that was sarcasm about Tlusty.  What do you mean no room for Halischuk?  We don't have many forwards under contract... yet.  There might still be a spot for Hali, especially on a nice 2-way deal.

I like Hali.  Im just thinking if we sign Stafford, Stemp, Burmi plus a couple of young guys pushing.  Maybe they sign him for depth if he's willing to take the chance of not playing much.  But I do like him as a bottom 3-6 guy.

Just checked.  From the Jets players on the farm team last year, the following will be UFAs:

RFAs:

Ivan Telegin

Ivan took a Burmi and has played in Moscow since he refused to play for the Ice Caps in 2013. I think we have written him off.

Right. I had forgotten that the left.

Pretty good chance they both are gone....Fro is for sure.

Stemp will probably re-sign if the Jets give him at least 3 years....I would offer him 2.8 m over 3 years.

Hali is gone and Slater probably is too.

Tlusty is gone and O'Dell will probably play for the moose.

I'm not sure if they offer Pardy a contract but I wouldn't.

Telegin looked like such a good prospect and then everything went to shite...

Quiet because it's done? lol

There is always the possibility that the Jets made Stafford a good offer but being so close to Free Agency he said let me test and Ill come back to you on July 1st.

Update:

Sorry, comma missing in an email to me which confused message. Talks between #nhljets and Drew Stafford are "ongoing and well-intentioned."

Oh ya that makes sense lol. A comma was missing.

A comma can make all the difference in the world!

"Top stories: World leaders at Mandela tribute, Obama-Castro handshake and same-sex marriage date set"

"Top stories: World leaders at Mandela tribute, Obama-Castro handshake, and same-sex marriage date set"