Ehlers scores OT winner in game seven against Shawinigan

The Western Hockey League announced today that Kelowna Rockets defenceman Josh Morrissey is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week for the week ending April 19th, 2015.

Morrissey collected five points (2g-3a) in one game after returning from injury to help the Kelowna Rockets pick up a win in their Round 2 match-up against the Victoria Royals.

On Friday, April 17th against the Royals, Morrissey recorded five points (2g-3a) to lead the Rockets to a 7-3 victory in Game 5 and earn first star honours. The win clinched the series for the Rockets and allowed the Club to advance to the 2015 Western Conference Final.

The Calgary, AB native gathered 38 points (13g-25a) while playing in 47 games this season for the Prince Albert Raiders and Kelowna Rockets. The Winnipeg Jets prospect is in his fourth WHL campaign and has amassed 196 points (66g-130a) in 249 career WHL regular season contests. In 11 career WHL Playoff games, Morrissey has recorded 13 points (3g-10a).

http://globalnews.ca/news/1949653/rockets-morrissey-player-of-the-week/

According to this mock draft - http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ - the Jets would take Paul Bittner at #17, who also plays for the Winterhawks. 

Paul Bittner Left Wing
Shoots: Left Height: 6'4 Weight: 202 Birthdate: 1996-11-04 Hometown: Crookston , MN

Big kid!

I will definitely have to go out and catch a game, hard now to cheer for the Rockets with two Jets on the Winterhawks and a third potential one there too.

According to this mock draft - http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ - the Jets would take Paul Bittner at #17, who also plays for the Winterhawks. 

Paul Bittner Left Wing
Shoots: Left Height: 6'4 Weight: 202 Birthdate: 1996-11-04 Hometown: Crookston , MN

Big kid!

I will definitely have to go out and catch a game, hard now to cheer for the Rockets with two Jets on the Winterhawks and a third potential one there too.

Saw his name mentioned too!  Big boy!  And a Minnesota Mafia member.

Paul Bittner Left Wing

Big kid!

I was looking at mock drafts last week regarding who the Jets might take.  Bittner and Ehler's teammate Timo Meier were guys that looked very intriguing.  Most pundits think Meier will be gone before the Jets pick and Bittner could fall into the 20s.  But I think either guy would do well for us.  Both are physical and can score.  Bittner's size is especially appealing.  

I was looking at mock drafts last week regarding who the Jets might take.  Bittner and Ehler's teammate Timo Meier were guys that looked very intriguing.  Most pundits think Meier will be gone before the Jets pick and Bittner could fall into the 20s.  But I think either guy would do well for us.  Both are physical and can score.  Bittner's size is especially appealing.

I am now definitely going to go to a Rockets game, at least if it goes to a game five anyway. I will report back on all four guys - Petan, Morrissey, De Leo and Bittner. But, I will add this caveat, you guys better appreciate me for doing this. :)

I am now definitely going to go to a Rockets game, at least if it goes to a game five anyway. I will report back on all four guys - Petan, Morrissey, De Leo and Bittner. But, I will add this caveat, you guys better appreciate me for doing this. :)

not-worthy.gif

And Brandon is up 2-0 on Calgary in their series.  No prospects on either team that are Jets but quite a few that are drafted.  Notables are Tambellini (NYR), Virtanen (Van), Sanheim (Phi), Thomas (TB), and Kanzig (Cal) from the Hitmen, and P. Quennville (Clb), J. Quennville (NJ), Hawyrluk (Fla), Roy (Cal), Klimchuk (Cal), Pilon (2015) and Provorov (2015) for Wheat Kings.  No more Jets sadly but there is still playoff hockey going on in Manitoba.

ok, so I went to the Rockets-Winterhawks game last night.  My impressions:

It wasn't a very high scoring game, as the Rockets won 2-1 in OT.  Petan scored with 3 minutes left to tie it up and send it to OT.  

Petan sure looks small out there, but he sure is a leader.  He has amazing hockey sense, he seems to always be where the puck ends up.  Is he too small to play in the NHL?  When I look at Anaheim, I think "maybe".  He should have a long career in hockey, even if it ends up being in Europe.  Chase De Leo didn't impress me at all.  Seems to be the same size as Petan, or only slightly bigger.  Petan was a threat to score on almost every shift, while DeLeo was invisible.  Not sure what the Jets scouts saw in him, other than he seems to be a good skater?  Bittner is big, like HUGE, and he can skate, though he didn't do much last night.  I would draft him, he has the size I think to develop into an NHL'er, third or fourth line.

Morrissey - wow oh wow.  He's going to be a good one.  Just so smooth out there.  Reminded me of Bourque, Niedermeyer and Coffey, when he would just take the puck and smoothly just move up the ice before landing a beauty pass on a forward's stick or going in for the shot himself.  I am hoping we see him in a Jets jersey for a long long time.

Only other comment - if Nick Merkley of the Rockets is still available at our first round pick, I'd take him over Bittner.  If we could get both of them with our two first round picks, I would be happy.  Merkley is so strong with the puck. Well worth taking a chance on him.

EDIT:

Forgot to add - Winnipeg's own Madison Bowey hit a Winterhawk so hard that he put him ass over tea kettle into the space between the benches. That guy is going to be a good one too.

ok, so I went to the Rockets-Winterhawks game last night.  My impressions:

It wasn't a very high scoring game, as the Rockets won 2-1 in OT.  Petan scored with 3 minutes left to tie it up and send it to OT.  

Petan sure looks small out there, but he sure is a leader.  He has amazing hockey sense, he seems to always be where the puck ends up.  Is he too small to play in the NHL?  When I look at Anaheim, I think "maybe".  He should have a long career in hockey, even if it ends up being in Europe.  Chase De Leo didn't impress me at all.  Seems to be the same size as Petan, or only slightly bigger.  Petan was a threat to score on almost every shift, while DeLeo was invisible.  Not sure what the Jets scouts saw in him, other than he seems to be a good skater?  Bittner is big, like HUGE, and he can skate, though he didn't do much last night.  I would draft him, he has the size I think to develop into an NHL'er, third or fourth line.

Morrissey - wow oh wow.  He's going to be a good one.  Just so smooth out there.  Reminded me of Bourque, Niedermeyer and Coffey, when he would just take the puck and smoothly just move up the ice before landing a beauty pass on a forward's stick or going in for the shot himself.  I am hoping we see him in a Jets jersey for a long long time.

Only other comment - if Nick Merkley of the Rockets is still available at our first round pick, I'd take him over Bittner.  If we could get both of them with our two first round picks, I would be happy.  Merkley is so strong with the puck. Well worth taking a chance on him.

EDIT:

Forgot to add - Winnipeg's own Madison Bowey hit a Winterhawk so hard that he put him ass over tea kettle into the space between the benches. That guy is going to be a good one too.

IMO with Petan ya he is small but as you say hes a leader and has really good hockey sense about him. He could use this all as an advantage to him with our team. Lil quick dude that has a sense where to be with an awesome shot and improve our scoring.

Ehlers is somewhat the same...  not a banger but a quicker guy that has huge hockey sense and knows where to be and can put it away.

Morrissey   Ya that guys got skills. Trouba, Myers and Morrissey on our D is going to be huge. 

They are a pretty deep team, Ryan Pilon is another guy who should go in the 1st few rounds this year.  They (Povorov & Pilon) are ranked 2nd & 8th ranked for North American defensemen by NHL Central Scouting.

They've got a few guys already drafted besides their young guns too.  John Quennevelle (New Jersey), Peter Quennevelle (Columbus), Morgan Klimchuk (Calgary), Reid Duke (Minnesota) & Jace Hawryluk (Florida) all got picked up.

Rockets win in 5. On to the Wheaties! Go Rockets go!

So if I hit up a Rockets/Wheat Kings game, who are some of the players on the WKs to watch?

Oh you know it's on now KBF!  On paper this series is almost a coin flip, with Kelowna having slightly better top end talent and (regular season) better defensive zone play while Brandon has slightly better overall talent spread out on all 4 lines (when healthy, which they are as of today) and better goaltending.  I honestly have no idea how this is going to play out.  My gut says Kelowna but if Brandon can stay out of the box and continue with their good defensive play (felt weird just typing that) then perhaps a trip to Quebec is in the cards for the Wheaties. Plus we owe you guys for 2005  :angry:.

As for players to watch I think almost everyone has been covered by the other posters.  Definitely watch out for Hawryluk, he can score and has been hitting anything that moves for the past month.  Bukharts, our little Latvian, can be a genius stickhandler and a devious !@#$ disturber.  Fun to watch if you're me but maybe not so much for you.  Your forwards will need to watch out for Waltz and Erkamps, our physical Dmen.  Eric Roy, a Calgary D man pick,is having a great playoffs.  And Tim McGauley, for some insane reason undrafted but was runner up for WHL player of the year, is maybe our most complete player.  And don't forget Papirny, WHL goalie of the month for April, started every playoff game for the Wheaties.  I could go on but you get the point.

From what I see of the Rockets the players I fear/worry about are... Bowey, Morrissey, Chartier, Merkley, Draisaitl, and Baillie.  After tonight I may need to add to that list.  Anyways this should be a great series.  I will be there in person for games 1 and 2.  GO Wheaties GO!!!