The Star Trek Thread!

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Welcome back Captain Georgiou.

Im seeing some "so so" reviews of this episode by a couple of the sites I frequent.  I enjoyed it though.  I do think the crew forgave Ash a bit too easily.  If im the writer, I'd have had Tilly reach out to him as she did, but I'd have kept others at arms length.  I'd have had Detmer angrily storm off (for no other reason than to create depth among the relationships).  But it didnt annoy me either way.

They did as i suspected and "classified" the mirror stuff.  That explains why its not common knowledge when Kirk & Spock end up there.

I like that they have a fairly large cast but it includes characters that pop in and out.  A regular network show would probably be more likely to have a regular group that appears all the time.  What Discovery does lends itself to better story telling.  The Admiral, for example, being a major focus of this episode.  Sarek disappeared for several episodes as well.  Reminds me of DS9 with the large cast including numerous recurring characters.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im seeing some "so so" reviews of this episode by a couple of the sites I frequent.  I enjoyed it though.  I do think the crew forgave Ash a bit too easily.  If im the writer, I'd have had Tilly reach out to him as she did, but I'd have kept others at arms length.  I'd have had Detmer angrily storm off (for no other reason than to create depth among the relationships).  But it didnt annoy me either way.

They did as i suspected and "classified" the mirror stuff.  That explains why its not common knowledge when Kirk & Spock end up there.

I like that they have a fairly large cast but it includes characters that pop in and out.  A regular network show would probably be more likely to have a regular group that appears all the time.  What Discovery does lends itself to better story telling.  The Admiral, for example, being a major focus of this episode.  Sarek disappeared for several episodes as well.  Reminds me of DS9 with the large cast including numerous recurring characters.

The spore growing was a bit of a cheat i thought.

13 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The spore growing was a bit of a cheat i thought.

I thought so too a bit.  More so, I thought it was unnecessary.  If you're just going to grow more, dont make a big deal about killing your entire supply.

They also need to knock off the facade of "below decks".  I think this was likely a change when Fuller left.  originally they said the show would focus more on junior officers like the TNG episode Below Decks.  But firstly, that isnt the case.  The Captain, First Officer, Admiral are all focuses.  We're on the bridge constantly.

The issue is, when deciding that your main Doctor isnt the CMO and your main engineer isnt the Chief Engineer, you create problems.  Where the heck are they?  This was especially glaring during the briefing room scene.  Why assemble all these junior officers but not have the CMO, Chief Engineer and even tactical officer (Ash was but surely he's been replaced). 

I wont break the balls over it now.  But season 2 needs to reconcile this by casting a CMO and Chief Engineer.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought so too a bit.  More so, I thought it was unnecessary.  If you're just going to grow more, dont make a big deal about killing your entire supply.

They also need to knock off the facade of "below decks".  I think this was likely a change when Fuller left.  originally they said the show would focus more on junior officers like the TNG episode Below Decks.  But firstly, that isnt the case.  The Captain, First Officer, Admiral are all focuses.  We're on the bridge constantly.

The issue is, when deciding that your main Doctor isnt the CMO and your main engineer isnt the Chief Engineer, you create problems.  Where the heck are they?  This was especially glaring during the briefing room scene.  Why assemble all these junior officers but not have the CMO, Chief Engineer and even tactical officer (Ash was but surely he's been replaced). 

I wont break the balls over it now.  But season 2 needs to reconcile this by casting a CMO and Chief Engineer.

Hopefully Lorca is back. 

Well the season is over and what is the result?

Clint Howards reign of terror is at 52 years.

Tilly gets silly, swears and gets high.

The war is over and L'rel is the new Klingon leader.

Georgiou's on the loose.

Tyler is an intermediary between the Klingons and the Federation.

Spores are sno'mores.

Paris is without green space.

The new Captain is...

and

Pike and the ENT show up at the end.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I thought the Enterprise looked great and they created an exciting way to end the first season.  Lots of griping from some fans though.  Cant please everyone.

I thought the finale was weak over-all and a good example of the season as a whole which was uneven.  I think we can say that the change in show runner really impacted the vision.  The finale wrapped things up too quickly while wasting time with the Orions.   The fact L'Rell rises to power based on a threat to destroy Kronos left me annoyed.  An honourable sacrifice uniting the houses would have made more sense to me.

Its one thing to say the Klingons respond to strength but what strength is shown by a leader who pulls back the troops when they are about to defeat their enemy?  We know from TNG that the final thing that created lasting peace between Klingons and the Federation was the sacrifice of the Enterprise-C while saving a Klingon planet from a Romulan attack.  So mirroring that by having an honourable sacrifice being the catalyst for a new found sense of honor among the Klingons would make sense to me.

Admiral Cornwall should have been court-martialed. 

But its all made up for in the end when the Enterprise shows up.  Now please dont screw this up...  cast a great Pike.

On 2/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought the Enterprise looked great and they created an exciting way to end the first season.  Lots of griping from some fans though.  Cant please everyone.

I thought the finale was weak over-all and a good example of the season as a whole which was uneven.  I think we can say that the change in show runner really impacted the vision.  The finale wrapped things up too quickly while wasting time with the Orions.   The fact L'Rell rises to power based on a threat to destroy Kronos left me annoyed.  An honourable sacrifice uniting the houses would have made more sense to me.

Its one thing to say the Klingons respond to strength but what strength is shown by a leader who pulls back the troops when they are about to defeat their enemy?  We know from TNG that the final thing that created lasting peace between Klingons and the Federation was the sacrifice of the Enterprise-C while saving a Klingon planet from a Romulan attack.  So mirroring that by having an honourable sacrifice being the catalyst for a new found sense of honor among the Klingons would make sense to me.

Admiral Cornwall should have been court-martialed. 

But its all made up for in the end when the Enterprise shows up.  Now please dont screw this up...  cast a great Pike.

Agreed.  I found everything wrapped up too easily as well.  I still don't like the Klingons or how they are portrayed.  There race is supposed to be based on honor.  And yet the way she pulls the power is by doing something dishonorable like keep the planet captive.  And as if they would have let a female be their leader back then.  I can see that happening past Voyager, but pre Voyager there was no female's aloud to lead the Klingons.  I get their pushing the girl power thing, but you need to stick to canon if you're going Pre-TOS\TNG\DS9\Voyager. 

1 minute ago, Logan007 said:

Agreed.  I found everything wrapped up too easily as well.  I still don't like the Klingons or how they are portrayed.  There race is supposed to be based on honor.  And yet the way she pulls the power is by doing something dishonorable like keep the planet captive.  And as if they would have let a female be their leader back then.  I can see that happening past Voyager, but pre Voyager there was no female's aloud to lead the Klingons.  I get their pushing the girl power thing, but you need to stick to canon if you're going Pre-TOS\TNG\DS9\Voyager. 

Yeah and I wouldnt have minded the female leader thing if that was how they wanted to portray the Klingons.  It would make sense if the Klingons respected honor regardless of gender.  Hopefully they follow this up in Discovery by showing us the beginnings of the council and embracing honor. 

I get the impression the team just wanted to close the book on Fuller's vision and get on with it.  So be it.  The Enterprise showing up is the most exciting aspect to the show thus far.

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So Star Trek Discovery on a hiatus until 2019 from everything I've read. How can they build momentum by killing it for an entire year? 

They begin production in April.  Already working on writing Season 2.  Its just the time it takes to produce an effects heavy show.  They are essentially right back at it.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Seems a lil late. They started showing the eps 8-9 months after starting filming S1 so late 2018 should be possible. Meh, Orville will tie us over.

Orville is awful.  They could definitely launch in late 2018 but I think the early 2019 thing is thrown around for scheduling reasons. Like rather then start in October/November, they might skip the holidays and start in Jan/feb.  I think part of it is people speculating based on the lag time with other premium content shows like GoT.  CBS hasnt said anything so its possible they get it out for the fall.

Just watched the finale.  I really like that the Emperor is running around the federation verse pretending to be Captain Georgiou.   I thought the slow burn of the Mirror Lorca reveal was pretty tight too -- he's recruiting all these random Starfleet ne'er-do-wells and he's setting his phaser to "pillow talk" with Admiral Eyes ... and suddenly "oh yeah, this is who that guy is, he's not just doing random crazy bullshit, he actually has a plan."  Nicely done stuff there.  And I liked the glimpse of Captain Killey we got during the Orion camp scenes.

Felt like they hit the "someone is not who they appear to be!" button one too many times with the Ash stuff.  And it was very typical Star Trek in that the most interesting stuff  happened in  another universe / timeline, not in the federation timeline.

On the whole, the first season was like a B-. I like the characters and I like the actors and the art design is just gorgeous.  I'll watch when the next season pops up but I'm not breathless waiting for it or anything.

Edited by johnzo