Sure, why not. Whatever. WWE Network and Wrestlemania

Goalie

Can't you get Kenny Omega to fight more blow up dolls and toddlers?

Not really. Although I'm not sure when he fought a toddler.

Or are you just being a ****?

Omega did fight a 7 or 8 year girl. Kid won (sure) & it was creepy... I think a pedophile would have enjoyed that match. Ridiculous. Japanese wrestling is a joke. 

Omega did fight a 7 or 8 year girl. Kid won (sure) & it was creepy... I think a pedophile would have enjoyed that match. Ridiculous. Japanese wrestling is a joke.

Im definitely aware. Not a toddler. And it's pretty outrageous to frame it like that. It was a huge hit and in Japan represented great trust in Omega on the part of the promoter.

"Japanese wrestling" is varied. New Japan is far better than WWE right now.

Im definitely aware. Not a toddler. And it's pretty outrageous to frame it like that. It was a huge hit and in Japan represented great trust in Omega on the part of the promoter.

"Japanese wrestling" is varied. New Japan is far better than WWE right now.

I saw that particular match. The girl was under 10. The things Omega did at times in that match were a little creepy, I'd say bordering on disgusting. Better than WWE, well... I don't think that the match with a little girl or Penis Power would ever take place. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But Id suggest if you didn't understand the match that you weren't the target demo. And more generally you don't follow Japanese wrestling. It would be like watching the Heroes of Wrestling show and saying all American wrestling sucks

The match with the young girl was not a New Japan match

Japan has several promotions just like America does.

I guess I'm a different demographic. I don't watch wrestling for comedy. I never liked Doink The Clown, Hornswoggle or other wrestlers that think their schtick is comedy. I don't mind comedic moments like the Mankind-Rock, "This Is Your Life" segment which was awesome. The trumpet Xavier Woods uses with New Day is funny but sorry, Penis Power & wrestling a 10 year old girl doesn't cut it for me. Not a fan. If that's being funny or having fun then count me out. I'd be embarrassed to say I was a fan.

I guess I'm a different demographic. I don't watch wrestling for comedy. I never liked Doink The Clown, Hornswoggle or other wrestlers that think their schtick is comedy. I don't mind comedic moments like the Mankind-Rock, "This Is Your Life" segment which was awesome. The trumpet Xavier Woods uses with New Day is funny but sorry, Penis Power & wrestling a 10 year old girl doesn't cut it for me. Not a fan. If that's being funny or having fun then count me out. I'd be embarrassed to say I was a fan.

There is a saying, funny doesnt draw money.  But ofcourse everything is fair game within a certain context.  Im not a big fan of WWE comedy because they are generally terrible at it.

On Indy shows, or even any live events, more humor is injected because live fans and TV fans are different.

Its funny you'd be embarrassed to be a fan when it comes to Omega vs the girl because that was a really good match.  I wouldnt say it was funny.  The "work" aspect was that Kenny is obviously much larger and stronger.  But the work in the match, even from the little girl was tremendous.  She was clearly well trained to not only work the way she did but to do so in front of a big crowd.  It was an honor for Kenny to be trusted in that role because there were obviously some dangers to the child if something should go wrong.  She was the promoter's daughter and asked Kenny to do it.

They used to say Ric Flair was so good he could work a broomstick.  This was an example of that.  Kenny had a great match with a little girl.  Did very believable moves that looked deadly.  And the girl came out of it without a scratch or bruise.  That's a testament to Omega's talent.  You might not like it, but its true.

I think New Day is often times an embarrassment to be honest.  They walk a fine line between funny and stupid.  But Goalie mentioned Chikara and there is speculation that New Day are Chikara fans because some of their schtick is ripped off (or a homage to) Chikara.  Not my cup of tea.  But ofcourse, the Japanese stuff of wresting blow up dolls, Invisible Man etc is for that audience and they are popular.  I think the point is that even though they are doing ridiculous things, they are showcasing their talent.  Invisible man match is pretty impressive even if its utterly ridiculous.

Here's one for you guys.  You may or may not have seen.

It's called the "Anywhere Match" or as I coined it locally, the "Cottage Country Match".   Some background:

It was filmed in 2008 and features Kenny Omega vs Mike Angels with the referee being portrayed by Rawskillz.  Angels & Skillz were two local workers who were tremendously talented and very easily could have worked all over the world.  Angels did, in fact, do two tours of Japan.  Skillz retired shortly before this match was filmed.  Angels still works for us occasionally.

Skillz called me up one morning and told me they were driving out to the cottage to film a video and invited me to come to provide some ideas.  I couldnt get out of work on short notice and also had no idea what they were doing.

When the match was posted locally, some of the local guys reacted negatively.  There had been a small backlkash to guys like Kenny (and Angels and Skillz) for their "Japanese style" work.  It was pure jealousy though and when the truth came out, that talk stopped.

And the truth is, there is a very talented guy in Japan named Kota Ibushi who was the "Anywhere Champion" in the DDT Promotion.  It was essentially like the WWE 24/7 title.  DDT wanted to promote an Ibushi vs Omega match and asked Kenny to film a hype video of him challenging for the Anywhere Championship.

So this is what they came up with.  I know some American wrestling fans wont like it, but it was for the Japanese audience and was used on their TV to hype the match.  It was very well received.  The best part is, when Omega arrived in Japan, all anyone asked him about was Mike Angels.  They assumed the Canadian Anywhere Championship was a legit title defended here and that Angels was some huge Canadian star.  They were impressed when Omega admitted he and Angels were friends.  "Do you think you could convince him to come here?" they asked.  And that is how Angels got two tours of Japan without even trying.

Rawskillz was probably even better than Angels.  Locally, Skillz' peak was 2005.  Im in the process of digitizing all my 2005 archives and watching them back now, we call it the Year of Skillz.  He was tremendous.  Had he remained in the business, I have no doubt he would be in Japan right now.  He was that good.

Anyway...on to the match:

***Note, there is a sequel to this match but I couldnt immediately find it. 

And for those wondering what we're talking about in relation to Omega vs a 9 year old girl, here is that match (there was also local media coverage at the time this hit 1m views on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezS-SFv0TE

Here's one for you guys.  You may or may not have seen.

It's called the "Anywhere Match" or as I coined it locally, the "Cottage Country Match".   Some background:

It was filmed in 2008 and features Kenny Omega vs Mike Angels with the referee being portrayed by Rawskillz.  Angels & Skillz were two local workers who were tremendously talented and very easily could have worked all over the world.  Angels did, in fact, do two tours of Japan.  Skillz retired shortly before this match was filmed.  Angels still works for us occasionally.

Skillz called me up one morning and told me they were driving out to the cottage to film a video and invited me to come to provide some ideas.  I couldnt get out of work on short notice and also had no idea what they were doing.

When the match was posted locally, some of the local guys reacted negatively.  There had been a small backlkash to guys like Kenny (and Angels and Skillz) for their "Japanese style" work.  It was pure jealousy though and when the truth came out, that talk stopped.

And the truth is, there is a very talented guy in Japan named Kota Ibushi who was the "Anywhere Champion" in the DDT Promotion.  It was essentially like the WWE 24/7 title.  DDT wanted to promote an Ibushi vs Omega match and asked Kenny to film a hype video of him challenging for the Anywhere Championship.

So this is what they came up with.  I know some American wrestling fans wont like it, but it was for the Japanese audience and was used on their TV to hype the match.  It was very well received.  The best part is, when Omega arrived in Japan, all anyone asked him about was Mike Angels.  They assumed the Canadian Anywhere Championship was a legit title defended here and that Angels was some huge Canadian star.  They were impressed when Omega admitted he and Angels were friends.  "Do you think you could convince him to come here?" they asked.  And that is how Angels got two tours of Japan without even trying.

Rawskillz was probably even better than Angels.  Locally, Skillz' peak was 2005.  Im in the process of digitizing all my 2005 archives and watching them back now, we call it the Year of Skillz.  He was tremendous.  Had he remained in the business, I have no doubt he would be in Japan right now.  He was that good.

Anyway...on to the match:

***Note, there is a sequel to this match but I couldnt immediately find it. 

And for those wondering what we're talking about in relation to Omega vs a 9 year old girl, here is that match (there was also local media coverage at the time this hit 1m views on youtube):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wezS-SFv0TE

That just may be the most creepy thing ive ever seen. Pretty sick IMO.

"Pretty sick"  lol  In what way?  I assume you mean sick as in awesome.  Anyone intimating some sexual impropriety have serious issues.

This particular girl was younger than average but there are many example of young people working.  Harry Smith and Tyson Kidd appeared in WWE at around the same age.  Sick bastards.

"Pretty sick"  lol  In what way?  I assume you mean sick as in awesome.  Anyone intimating some sexual impropriety have serious issues.

This particular girl was younger than average but there are many example of young people working.  Harry Smith and Tyson Kidd appeared in WWE at around the same age.  Sick bastards.

It's creepy. That's the side of wrestling I never liked & never will. It's fine Omega is a great worker & the girl came out fwithout a bruise or scratch but a lot of things could have gone wrong in that match. Why put a 9 year old even in that situation where it is dangerous? Let's face it, it's uncomfortable for me to watch because of child abuse & little kids being hurt by adults in the real world where kids that age get beat up or killed by someone much older. I know it's fake but still I didn't like the match one bit. That wouldn't fly over here on TNA, ROH or WWE. I'd switch to another channel or turn off the set & probably never come back if those organizations tried it on tv.

It's creepy. That's the side of wrestling I never liked & never will. It's fine Omega is a great worker & the girl came out fwithout a bruise or scratch but a lot of things could have gone wrong in that match. Why put a 9 year old even in that situation where it is dangerous? Let's face it, it's uncomfortable for me to watch because of child abuse & little kids being hurt by adults in the real world where kids that age get beat up or killed by someone much older. I know it's fake but still I didn't like the match one bit. That wouldn't fly over here on TNA, ROH or WWE. I'd switch to another channel or turn off the set & probably never come back if those organizations tried it on tv.

WWE has put kids in a ring.

You cant use the argument "things could go wrong".  Adults get hurt wrestling every day.  Kids get hurt on the playground every day.  There is a safer person she could have been in the ring with.  You wouldnt mind her doing gymnastics where she could easily slip and get hurt.  I think that's what you might be missing here.  Wrestling is work and this was a showcase for great a worker Kenny is.  The girl was never in any more danger than a million other things she could do.

If the site of a man and a child wrestling creeps you out, I cant tell you your feelings are wrong - they are your feelings.  But when I watched it, not for one second did I get some creepy "man-child" vibe. I saw two workers, one of whom was an expert and the other a trainee.  There are many sports all over the world where kids have physical contact with their adult trainers.  Nothing creepy about it at all.

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

Think a lil girl punching some dude in the nuts is all good? I dont... I guess i have issues.

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

Think a lil girl punching some dude in the nuts is all good? I dont... I guess i have issues.

Yes.  I see no issue with it.  Ever been punched in the nuts by a little girl?  Or boy for that matter?  If you have siblings there was probably some nut punching in your life.  Jokes aside, she's an "athlete" growing up in this world.  If her parents had no problem with it and she had no problem with it, there is no problem. 

Again, I cant tell you how to feel but I find it very odd that anyone would be creeped out watching that, especially wrestling fans. 

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

Yes.  I see no issue with it.  Ever been punched in the nuts by a little girl?  Or boy for that matter?  If you have siblings there was probably some nut punching in your life.  Jokes aside, she's an "athlete" growing up in this world.  If her parents had no problem with it and she had no problem with it, there is no problem. 

Again, I cant tell you how to feel but I find it very odd that anyone would be creeped out watching that, especially wrestling fans. 

Id never ever ever allow my daughter to do that...

As for the sibling thing?  I hardly think its the same. Yes kids boys n girls do it and think its funny. But they are kids.

Id not ever allow my daughter to be put on TV and say go punch that guy in the nuts so all these people can be entertained.

You know im not a big fan of wrestling but i will click to it once in awhile for shits n giggles but to me thats not funny... Its jus weird n creepy. 

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

As for the sibling thing?  I hardly think its the same. Yes kids boys n girls do it and think its funny. But they are kids.

Id not ever allow my daughter to be put on TV and say go punch that guy in the nuts so all these people can be entertained.

You know im not a big fan of wrestling but i will click to it once in awhile for shits n giggles but to me thats not funny... Its jus weird n creepy. 

That's a complete fair point (that you wouldnt allow your kid to do it).  Some parents wont allow their kids to take Karate.  Some wont allow them to play football.  Some wont allow them to do wrestling.  Its not a commentary on the quality of parenting when others do allow those things.  The girl in the video was better trained than many adult wrestlers I've seen.

The Hart kids (along with many wrestling familes, Von Erich's, Samoan's etc) were play wrestling probably before they could walk.  And training properly as very young children.  Wayne Gretzky learned to skate when he was three years old (if I recall the story). 

The difference here is that she performed in front of a large crowd rather than an empty training center.  And she did well.  And it was amusing and impressive. 

And it generated tons of online interest as well as local media coverage.  I think there were two different youtube videos of the match that had over one million views each when the Winnipeg Sun contacted me about doing a story.

I think our (PCW's) most watched youtube clip has about 16,000 views and wasnt anything as interesting as this match (it was three valet's playing Bikini Twister in the ring on one our shows).

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

That's a complete fair point (that you wouldnt allow your kid to do it).  Some parents wont allow their kids to take Karate.  Some wont allow them to play football.  Some wont allow them to do wrestling.  Its not a commentary on the quality of parenting when others do allow those things.  The girl in the video was better trained than many adult wrestlers I've seen.

The Hart kids (along with many wrestling familes, Von Erich's, Samoan's etc) were play wrestling probably before they could walk.  And training properly as very young children.  Wayne Gretzky learned to skate when he was three years old (if I recall the story). 

The difference here is that she performed in front of a large crowd rather than an empty training center.  And she did well.  And it was amusing and impressive. 

And it generated tons of online interest as well as local media coverage.  I think there were two different youtube videos of the match that had over one million views each when the Winnipeg Sun contacted me about doing a story.

I think our (PCW's) most watched youtube clip has about 16,000 views and wasnt anything as interesting as this match (it was three valet's playing Bikini Twister in the ring on one our shows).

Sorry your missing my point.

Id allow my kid do play and do any sports you mentioned. All of it is good for them.

But id never allow anyone to say to my kid ... Go punch that dude in the nuts to entertain these people.

Im not disagreeing with the kid being in a show like this. I do disagree with a 10 year old girl punching some guy in the nuts to entertain people. Thats just not right in my opinion.

Would you or your wife allow that?  Would you tell or have someone else tell your daughter to go punch a guy in the nuts so all these people laugh?

If the kids trained proper and can handle doing the moves its all fine. Leave the punching to the nuts out of it. Its weird and not necessary IMO. 

Na i have no issues.

Its creepy and sick IMO.

Sorry your missing my point.

Id allow my kid do play and do any sports you mentioned. All of it is good for them.

But id never allow anyone to say to my kid ... Go punch that dude in the nuts to entertain these people.

Im not disagreeing with the kid being in a show like this. I do disagree with a 10 year old girl punching some guy in the nuts to entertain people. Thats just not right in my opinion.

Would you or your wife allow that?  Would you tell or have someone else tell your daughter to go punch a guy in the nuts so all these people laugh?

If the kids trained proper and can handle doing the moves its all fine. Leave the punching to the nuts out of it. Its weird and not necessary IMO. 

In the correct context I would.  If my daughter grew up in the business and understood the context.  She wasnt fondling him.  I suspect this particular girl has seen her share of nut shots since wrestling is the family business.  It also depends on the kid.  And their understanding of "acting" and whatnot.  I wouldnt let her humiliate herself...which this girl did not do.  Fans were very respectful and impressed. 

There was a lot of controversy over a movie Dakota Fanning did when she was 12 where she was raped.  A lot of people said they'd never let their kid do it.  Dakota's parents made a different decision.  And Dakota seemed to be very intelligent and well adjusted and understood the art of acting.  She seemed to get through the tough scene okay (we assume). 

If the nut shot wasnt in this match, you'd be otherwise fine with it?  If so, I think we're pretty much on the same page.

I guess really... What's entertaining to some isn't to others. It is what it is. If people aren't entertained by it, I guess you aren't the demo they are looking for..

Wrestling really is like a tv show or movies.... I mean, I'll watch a show like Walking Dead or Orange is the New Black or OZ even and think, neat... it's not real but it's entertainment. Sometimes they all go to far, sometimes they piss off a portion of the audience, You can please some of the people most the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time. 

Pretty much words that the Wrestling Business probably lives by there. 

Can please some of the people most of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Besides, It's just like a movie, it's not real, it's "fake", not a fan of that word but... you do realize that she isn't actually punching him in the nuts right? 

They are just acting like they would on tv or a movie. There's really no difference, the only difference is this particular tv show or movie, it was Live. 

Good post Goalie.  Interestingly, at the time when WWE was their most controversial and had more people claiming it was garbage, they did record ratings.  In the current era where they are the most mainstream they've ever been, they draw record low ratings.

When you try to be all things to all people, you often end up being nothing to anyone.  In WWE's case, they are chasing corporate sponsorship dollars and all the extra revenue streams that come with being an accepted mainstream attraction (plus the "acceptance" of being an "entrainment" company), but when they were trying to just write the best TV they could for their audience, they were much more popular...