RedBlacks-Als To Play in QC

iso_55

Since the return of the Alouettes, there has been a revival of interest in the CFL, both as a spectator sport and it seems like there are lot of good players coming out of La Belle Province, so promoting the CFL in Quebec City is a very smart move.

I have family who lived there for a long time, and I've been told that Montreal is all about the Habs, and Quebec City is all about the Alouettes....

If only QC had 30k stadium.

A federal election is coming up this year, so a lot of promises will be made, and some may actually be kept, so who knows? The last federal election, the Tories promised funding for a new arena in Quebec City, so maybe, just maybe....

A federal election is coming up this year, so a lot of promises will be made, and some may actually be kept, so who knows? The last federal election, the Tories promised funding for a new arena in Quebec City, so maybe, just maybe....

I don't remember the federal Conservatives ever saying they would give funding to an arena in QC. They've been quite adamant that federal funding will not go to facilities whose main occupant would be a pro team for a number of years.

I don't remember the federal Conservatives ever saying they would give funding to an arena in QC. They've been quite adamant that federal funding will not go to facilities whose main occupant would be a pro team for a number of years.

I believe it was during the 2011 election when the chair of the Quebec conservative caucus was in a tough fight for a seat and made the announcement. It was not offical election policy but was never confirmed or denied by Harper. I recall it because I won a fifty dollar bet with my brother over it.

The Federal Conservatives don't spend money on pro sports arenas or stadiums. They just don't do it anywhere. 

The trick they use is to give money for "infrastructure"- roads, sewers and so forth. It is pure coincidence that these infrastructure projects happen to be in the immediate vicinity of sports venues. It also happened with the Senators' arena in Kanata- several tens of millions of dollars were granted by the federal Liberals (I believe).

The Federal Conservatives don't spend money on pro sports arenas or stadiums. They just don't do it anywhere.

They contributed quite a bit to IGF.

No they didn't. They gave money for the UoM fitness centre. None of the fed money went directly into the stadium.

No they didn't. They gave money for the UoM fitness centre. None of the fed money went directly into the stadium.

As the old saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

As the old saying goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

Don't know how that saying fits the situation. The feds' contribution did nothing for the stadium or the Bombers.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that one of the biggest opponents to the CFL expanding to QC is actually Laval University. They're drawing like crazy right now, and have no interest in sharing that market. Anyone else remember this, or am I just making stuff up / confusing this with mid-2000s USC and the NFL?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that one of the biggest opponents to the CFL expanding to QC is actually Laval University. They're drawing like crazy right now, and have no interest in sharing that market. Anyone else remember this, or am I just making stuff up / confusing this with mid-2000s USC and the NFL?

I think the market will dictate just what the fans in QC watch. They may have to build a 25.000 seat stadium someday just to do that.

I remember reading/hearing that Laval didn't want the CFL there too.

The trick they use is to give money for "infrastructure"- roads, sewers and so forth. It is pure coincidence that these infrastructure projects happen to be in the immediate vicinity of sports venues. It also happened with the Senators' arena in Kanata- several tens of millions of dollars were granted by the federal Liberals (I believe).

The funding for the new arena in Quebec consists of $200 million from the province and $200 million from the city.  No fed money.