Does the SI SwimSuit Cover Show TOO MUCH?

The Unknown Poster

related, somewhat, I have noticed sports broadcasters on the radio saying

"what the F"

won't be long till they use the whole word.

Not my cup of tea.

For us old guys (30's) think back to when you were a young kid and what simply wasnt allowed on TV.  I remember being...maybe 12/13 and we had "Superchannel" and it was mind blowing...lol

"what the F"

Not my cup of tea.

For us old guys (30's) think back to when you were a young kid and what simply wasnt allowed on TV.  I remember being...maybe 12/13 and we had "Superchannel" and it was mind blowing...lol

I dunno, I think there was more stuff allowed on TV when I was a kid than there is now. Sure maybe the language has pushed the boundaries a little but everything else seems like TV has gotten more tame than it used to be with the exception of places like HBO who just keep on keeping on. 

"what the F"

Not my cup of tea.

I dunno, I think there was more stuff allowed on TV when I was a kid than there is now. Sure maybe the language has pushed the boundaries a little but everything else seems like TV has gotten more tame than it used to be with the exception of places like HBO who just keep on keeping on. 

Way more sex and violence and language on regular TV now.  Sure, cable is one thing, like AMC and FX but even network television.  What was that cop show where they kept showing the cast members' bare asses?  Remember all the controversy?  Now you could get away with that.  Plus, A$$hole is allowed now...there's another word I kept hearing on Y&R a couple years ago that I was surprised was now allowed but I cant remember what it was...**** maybe?  **** is allowed now too.

Although people our age will remember Degrassi always pushing the envelope with a naked Joey and then the movie where they dropped the F bomb twice in prime time.

I suppose TV is really just a magnifying glass into society.   What is acceptable is a reflection of the times.

If you look at some of the old sitcoms like Archie Bunker and the Jeffersons, the racial slurs that were used would never make it on today's shows.

A lot of the sex and skin that is shown today wouldn't have been shown back then.  

I suppose TV is really just a magnifying glass into society.   What is acceptable is a reflection of the times.

If you look at some of the old sitcoms like Archie Bunker and the Jeffersons, the racial slurs that were used would never make it on today's shows.

A lot of the sex and skin that is shown today wouldn't have been shown back then.  

I agree.

And on todays 3 and a half men they talk about smoking pot openly and they even have a bong on the table.  LOL

Just to add...  I dont really see much of a diff between this SI thing and the sun girls you can see online.

"what the F"

Not my cup of tea.

Way more sex and violence and language on regular TV now.  Sure, cable is one thing, like AMC and FX but even network television.  What was that cop show where they kept showing the cast members' bare asses?  Remember all the controversy?  Now you could get away with that.  Plus, ******* is allowed now...there's another word I kept hearing on Y&R a couple years ago that I was surprised was now allowed but I cant remember what it was...**** maybe?  **** is allowed now too.

Although people our age will remember Degrassi always pushing the envelope with a naked Joey and then the movie where they dropped the F bomb twice in prime time.

But you know I remember 2 different times when I was a kid where I saw boobs on CBC... when was the last time CBC showed any skin? I actually think network TV and even a lot of the cable channels are cleaner than they used to be. That whole Janet Jackson superbowl nipple really regressed what TV could get away with. 

Thats a good point about the slurs.  But as you said, it was a reflection of the time, unfortunately.

The Janet Jackson nipple-gate was idiotic and ludicrous.  Dont let the kids see a nipple!  God forbid young girls and boys ever see a nipple...wait, they have their own nipples?  Oh.  Its funny that you can show an entire breast as long as a tiny pastie covers the nipple, but you cant see a nipple.  Then again there are lunatics that want breast feeding in public banned.

use today article 

"Police in Rhinelander, Wis., have long been aware that "sexting" — sending sexually explicit photos or text messages — is popular with teenagers.

But until November, when the mother of a Rhinelander High School student turned over a nude image of one of her son's classmates that she found on his cellphone, law enforcement officials had no idea the problem was so pervasive. That single image led police to identify dozens of students, all of whom had been trading explicit images with one another on a regular basis.

"It was overwhelming how many kids were involved," said Oneida County sheriff's Lt. Terri Hook."

use today article 

"Police in Rhinelander, Wis., have long been aware that "sexting" — sending sexually explicit photos or text messages — is popular with teenagers.

But until November, when the mother of a Rhinelander High School student turned over a nude image of one of her son's classmates that she found on his cellphone, law enforcement officials had no idea the problem was so pervasive. That single image led police to identify dozens of students, all of whom had been trading explicit images with one another on a regular basis.

"It was overwhelming how many kids were involved," said Oneida County sheriff's Lt. Terri Hook."

Teenagers make insanely stupid decisions without thought at all to the consequences or how they affect others or their futures.  What a surprise.

In this day and age seems a silly thing to get worked up about. Kids today are raised on the internet, you can see a hell of a lot more if you choose to. 

I never quite understood the puritanical view of the human body. Just doesn't make sense. Hell they've had the same kind of exposure for men too. When they do their body issue they have all the male athletes doing the same kind of **** to show off the abs.

I don't think it has to do with showing the human body naked.  I think it has to do with showing the human body in a sexually explicit pose on the cover of a magazine for everyone to see.  Not that anyone buys magazines anymore.  The only time I ever see a magazine rack is when I go into a gas station when I'm on a road trip.

Going to the beach and seeing people in bikini's, even thong ones, is different then someone who is pulling their bikini's down in a sexual way.  It has to do with body language.

Oh, and just to make a comment about kids, not all kids are raised on the internet.  Parents who give a crap don't let their kids do whatever they want on the internet.  Please don't generalize.

Don't under estimate the ingenuity of a kid who wants to see some titties. Unless you're really going to clamp down on what the kids are doing and be one of those overbearing never trust them with anything types, where there is a will there's a way. 

Really though I've seen the cover I don't think it is a sexually explicit pose at all, just pulling down the bottoms a bit, not like the model is spread eagle on the cover or anything. really suggestive isn't even about how much skin is overall shown it's all about how the model is posed and there is no question they'd put the cover model in a suggestive pose even if she was covered head to toe. 

This is entirely much ado about nothing.

That's exactly what I am.  It will make my kids that much smarter cause they'll need to outsmart me in order to get their hands on it.

I also try to allow my kids to be kids and not grow up too fast like a lot of parents do.  I am strict and I could don't what anyone thinks about it.  And yes, I'm sure they can find it at a friends house, but I'm not going to encourage it by being a pushover parent who lets their kids do whatever they want.

Back to the topic at hand.  It may not seem sexually explicit to guys, but to others, someone pulling down their bottoms past the pubic line is a lot more sexually explicit then if she was just standing there.  I'm just saying, not everyone is as desensitized as we are.

Your kids have already outsmarted you.  You might not know it yet, but the amount of time it takes you to figure it out is directly related to how seriously your kids will take you.  Good luck!

Am I misunderstanding, or are you basically taunting Logan007 because you think his kids have probably already seen explicit things he doesn't want them to? Because thats what it looks like, and that is just a total scumbag thing to do.

Everybody seems to be an expert on everybody's else's kids but they're own. Or they've never had kids. It's a lot different when your own child or teen is being stupid or getting in trouble. Teens do make bad decisions. They aren't adults. Then again, a lot of adults make bad decisions as well. 

Everybody seems to be an expert on everybody's else's kids but they're own. Or they've never had kids. It's a lot different when your own child or teen is being stupid or getting in trouble. Teens do make bad decisions. They aren't adults. Then again, a lot of adults make bad decisions as well.

Yup. I look back at all the dumb things I did in my teens with absolutely no thought at the time to the consequences. My nieces and nephews are no different. Sometimes they listen and refrain from doing something stupid, but most of the time you just have to watch helplessly as they make their own mistakes and then realize maybe you aren't as dumb as you sound, and maybe taking advice from their brain-dead teenage friend isn't a good plan. I can only imagine the insanely dumb things I would have done had smart phones and the internet been around when I was a teenager. Thank goodness they were not.

Im not sure what the answer is when it comes to the sexting of naked pics and whatnot.  I can remember being a kid and the girls would flash us from time to time.  In today's world, that would be a nude selfie.  Maybe the answer lies in not making kids ashamed of their bodies so when a nude pic does make the rounds, they arent suicidal over it.

Yup. I look back at all the dumb things I did in my teens with absolutely no thought at the time to the consequences. My nieces and nephews are no different. Sometimes they listen and refrain from doing something stupid, but most of the time you just have to watch helplessly as they make their own mistakes and then realize maybe you aren't as dumb as you sound, and maybe taking advice from their brain-dead teenage friend isn't a good plan. I can only imagine the insanely dumb things I would have done had smart phones and the internet been around when I was a teenager. Thank goodness they were not.

We all made mistakes growing up.Some grow up faster than others.