Anyone still think we're going with Royal Blue Jerseys this season?

IC Khari

Thank you for the explanation Kim.

As a hardcore Blue Bomber fan since the 1990s, I've been to the Bombers store three times in a row in the past year wanting to spend my money, but simply will not buy anything that is navy blue, or that has the generic and empty "W" logo we have now. University of Washington, is it?

Despite some of the logistical hurdles, I just cannot understand the resistance to giving the team the classic, classy, and distinctive look that the fans really want. 

The Bombers had the "W" logo before the University of Washington.

Interesting, I didn't know that. But, my point is that there is nothing about the plain W on a hat or t-shirt that makes me identify with the Bombers. I love the W on our helmet, but outside of that context, it doesn't make me think of Winnipeg, the Bombers, or football.  I get that the point of the W is to connect it with wins.

But the logo is three steps back from our 80's logo of the W emerging from behind the football, with the words Blue Bombers. There is no way anybody can misinterpret that logo and what it represented. Not to mention that logo had our team colours nice and bright. 

To each their own, but I won't be spending any money on merch with the new logo or the navy colours. 

They do use the classic 80s logo with the football and text as a secondary logo. They actually did a smart thing in combining the font/style of the Blue Bomber text they used in their previous incarnation with the 80s logo to create the current alt logo.

As for the jersey colour change, what Kim points out is actually true. You change the jerseys, you're changing the team's primary colours. You change the team's primary colours, that means you're making new equipment orders across the board (all gloves/shoes/socks/towels/etc.), you're repainting significant parts of the stadium and concourse, you're redoing the field, you're re-doing all print materials (tickets/schedules/etc.), and more. It's a significant investment 2-3 years after you've already made a significant investment on the last re-brand.

Did they screw up with the last re-brand? Yes. But because of how recent that was, we're likely going to have to wait a few more years to get what we want. Then it will be a triumphant return, with the new everything -- jerseys, equipment, stadium, ads, etc. We'll all scream "FINALLY!" and they'll sell a whole bunch of crap.

(In the meantime, you can all still buy your royal blue jerseys, and some of the merch is royal blue, and they do wear them twice a year. :P)

I'm not particularly against the logo, but gotta have the royal blues. On a side note, probably my favourite jerseys of all-time (any sport) are the BC Lions gunmetal jerseys they brought out recently. They are sharp and I wish we would have come out with something like that, but I'm not sure it would have fit our colour scheme.

Well 49 votes on here... and 20,951 season ticket holders not voting and still buying merchandise.

Judging by what I see at Bomber games, a significant percentage of those 20,951 STH are buying Royal Blue merch.  Heck there are at least 3 Royal Blue #63 Walby jerseys in my own section, let alone the stadium.

We only have one jersey that we are unbeaten wearing... Urban Camouflage.  I have seen at least three people besides myself wearing these in the west Upper deck.

Well 49 votes on here... and 20,951 season ticket holders not voting and still buying merchandise.

Judging by what I see at Bomber games, a significant percentage of those 20,951 STH are buying Royal Blue merch.  Heck there are at least 3 Royal Blue #63 Walby jerseys in my own section, let alone the stadium.

We only have one jersey that we are unbeaten wearing... Urban Camouflage.  I have seen at least three people besides myself wearing these in the west Upper deck.

yeah that's cause the west side sucks!!