Leafs fire Carlyle

Carlyle and the Jets seem to just miss each other.  He'd be a great addition to our coaching staff but he will get a HC job and that isnt available in Winnipeg nor will it be for some time.

Ya i agree... he will get another HC gig pretty quick, But i wonder if he may want some time out of that spotlight.

Some interesting tweets from Naylor....

Kessel was interviewed and asked if he thought he was a difficult player to coach.  Sort of a difficult question to answer but he came off pretty bad in my opinion.  Seemed childish, calling the reporter an idiot.

Ron Wilson's comments seem to indicate the same, that Phil is emotional and unreliable.

Good times in TO.

Toronto has looked lethargic for some time, i mean going back years now, it's the same old same old, the coaches change but the players have stayed the same for the most part, the kessel and phaneuf type guys, these are  the players that show up one night but not the next, don't care who the coach is,  he can't do much if players just flat out refuse to show up some games. Leafs go on a streak, then lose a ton in a row. It's happened for years now..  I'm happy for Carlyle and i'm sure Randy is a bit relieved right now to be out of that hell hole that is Toronto, Not sure why any coach would want to go there. They dreaming of Babcock, Babcock won't go there tho. Toronto is to coaches what Edmonton is to goalies, it's a graveyard. 

Phaneuf can be a useful player but if you expect him to be your best defenseman and any kind of leader on the team then you are in for a world of hurt. The guy is a grade A douchebag. 

He can shoot the puck hard.  He can hit hard.

All other aspects of his play and intangibles are average to below-average.

The reporter who asked that question was Dave Feschuk, the same guy that called Reimer's mom trying to get an injury update on him.

I wouldnt defend calling Reimer's mom, but the question had merit.  It might seem stupid because no player is going to admit to being uncoachable but in the wake of the firing, it was a topic for discussion.  When a coach is fired, many players admit to taking fault and feeling awful.  I thought Kessel's reaction was telling in that he immediately deflected blame.  Ron Wilson was right, when you change coaches 2 or 3 times with the same players, who's fault is it?

The reporter who asked that question was Dave Feschuk, the same guy that called Reimer's mom trying to get an injury update on him.

I wouldnt defend calling Reimer's mom, but the question had merit.  It might seem stupid because no player is going to admit to being uncoachable but in the wake of the firing, it was a topic for discussion.  When a coach is fired, many players admit to taking fault and feeling awful.  I thought Kessel's reaction was telling in that he immediately deflected blame.  Ron Wilson was right, when you change coaches 2 or 3 times with the same players, who's fault is it?

The GM's.

Burke overpaid for Kessel and then forced him to be the #1 guy on the team... same thing would happen if we tried to build a team around Kane or Wheeler and a bunch of truculent grinders.  As soon as Lupul is down, Kessel has no one to work with.

Leafs have a crap roster, don't give prospects time to develop and trade picks for 'character players'... that's not Kessel's fault.

It was a dickish question... I can see why players hate the media & don't trust them.

****-ish but topical.  That reporter will continue to needle Kessel now.  If the player was smart, mature & professional he would have given an answer more like "you always feel responsible when a coach gets fired and its up to the players to perform on the ice."  Would have shut down the questioning.  I think most of the Jets players gave similar answers when Noel was fired.

None of the Jets were asked if they thought they were "uncoachable".  It was a dickish question asked by what sounds to be a dickish reporter, who was obviously trying to push Kessel's buttons and goad him into a reaction.  And that's not in his job description.  He's essentially taunting him.

Burke overpaid for Kessel and then forced him to be the #1 guy on the team... same thing would happen if we tried to build a team around Kane or Wheeler and a bunch of truculent grinders.  As soon as Lupul is down, Kessel has no one to work with.

Leafs have a crap roster, don't give prospects time to develop and trade picks for 'character players'... that's not Kessel's fault.

Get's a like for the phase "truculent grinders".

I've got to learn an instrument so I can start a band and name it that.

Kessel does come across as a me first type of player tho,  Regardless of the question and i suppose it was a bit dickish but Kessels answer was just as dickish and childish. Like it or not, Phil Kessel is a pro athlete and earlier in the day his ex coach Ron Wilson came out and mentioned how Phil goes on a run for 2 weeks and then does nothing for 2 weeks, Not sure if people have paid attention to Phils career but that's what he does, He's not the most likable guy either. He's being paid the big bucks for a reason, they expect him to show up every game and compete, he doesn't do that. Is that a coaching issue? is that a laziness issue? is that just who phil kessel is? Who knows but his career tells me that Phil Kessel is what he is, he can score goals but that's all he does, he doesn't really hustle back, he's kind of a floater, he doesn't really play the system game, he does go MIA for periods of time and he does seem to be a bit uncoachable. How many coaches have been fired now? Keep  firing coaches all you want but until you change the players and Kessel is one of those players, nothing changes.