Odds that Cory Watson is left unprotected during expansion draft?

Milt

Odds that we protect Watson in expansion draft  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How likely is it we leave Cory Watson unprotected in the expansion draft?

• Definitely protected
    • Most likely to be protected
    • Most likely to be unprotected
    • Definitely unprotected

Been thinking about this lately, with Watson being 30 at the start of next season and his inability to stay healthy, where do you guys peg his odds at being left out of the 6 NI's protected during the expansion draft. Obviously a lot can change over the course of the rest of the season if he comes back and tears it up or depending on how other NI's play.

At this point I'd say its likely he'll be protected but feel like its far from a sure thing.

Thoughts?

Probably the only NI receiver worth protecting, I mean, who would chose over him on the team?

Ability wise, all else being equal? No one. Taking age and durability into consideration...by the end of the season Kohlert and Etienne may be seriously worth discussing as options.

Does that mean the end of the Kito Poblah experiment?

I noticed Poblah a grand total of two times last night, once was an absolutely unforgivable drop, the other time he was absolutely blown up by a block on an INT return. If Poblah was cut would anyone care? Has he done anything in the last 2 years that is a positive contribution to the team?

Does that mean the end of the Kito Poblah experiment?

Kito hasn't been in the NI receiver discussion all year.  Last night he dropped a sure TD and then went out and got a blocking penalty on the next special teams play.  Other than that, he was invisible.

Still not convinced Etienne is going to be a great Canadian receiver, either. Other than the Calgary game, that's it. Seven games finished now with only 14 catches.

I'm not saying Etienne is a shoe-in to be the next great Canadian super star, but going into this week the Bomber's best receiver was ranked 21st in the league.  In an 8 team league, that is unforgivable.  

Have to fix the offensive schemes and QB before we can really start evaluating the receivers.

Kohlert is our best NI receiver right now.  Watson is our best NI receiver when healthy.  Both of them should be protected.  If we have a third NI receiver spot left then we can protect Jade, assuming he is re-signed before the end of the year.

Henoc assuming he's under contract or coming close to a contract will be protected, there's one guy protected.

now we've got 5 spots left, to me the choice is between giving up a lineman or a reciever, in my mind we have a little more depth at reciever than we do O-line (especially considering we have Aprile, Dicroce, & Alli all in the pipeline). So assuming there aren't going to be many options at O line in free agency, are we basically handcuffed into protecting our O-line starters? 

So Henoc, Sorenson, Greaves, Swiston. and now you've got two spots left to protect Kohlert, Etienne, Watson, Palardy, Deangelis, Pencer, Renaud, Cauchy, Poblah or any other NI you deem worthy.

I would probably protect Kohlert over Watson, as he's 4 years younger and hasn't shown any injury problems. So basically right now that means that Watson is probably your 6th pick to protect. So at this point Watson and the guys on the outside looking in are basically competing for that last spot. 

Poblah was over rated by every GM in the league. Hell the argos woulda brought him to camp as an american before his eligibility as a NI was clarified. 

Not to pile on but point was his tires were continuously pumped long after he was drafted and began to play unremarkably.

Henoc assuming he's under contract or coming close to a contract will be protected, there's one guy protected.

now we've got 5 spots left, to me the choice is between giving up a lineman or a reciever, in my mind we have a little more depth at reciever than we do O-line (especially considering we have Aprile, Dicroce, & Alli all in the pipeline). So assuming there aren't going to be many options at O line in free agency, are we basically handcuffed into protecting our O-line starters? 

So Henoc, Sorenson, Greaves, Swiston. and now you've got two spots left to protect Kohlert, Etienne, Watson, Palardy, Deangelis, Pencer, Renaud, Cauchy, Poblah or any other NI you deem worthy.

I would probably protect Kohlert over Watson, as he's 4 years younger and hasn't shown any injury problems. So basically right now that means that Watson is probably your 6th pick to protect. So at this point Watson and the guys on the outside looking in are basically competing for that last spot. 

I wouldn't assume that Henroc is going to be under contract.  He might get an NFL look as a special teams player, which would pay way more than the CFL.  If not, I expect he will want to go to free agency to get the most bucks or at least go to a competitive team.  Our best shot at keeping him is to become competitive then 'overpay' him in Free Agency.

I agree with protecting our O line first.  I'd protect both Kohlert and Watson.  The rest aren't that big a deal IMHO.

I'd be shopping Watson and Poblah for trade during this season.  I don't think Poblah will succeed here, and I don't think Watson is going to last much longer, at least as an elite level player.  He's one of those guys who is never really healthy, even when he is "healthy."

If we can get a 1st or 2nd round pick for either I'd take it.  Montreal has nothing at NI receiver and are probably going to make a push since Calvillo is near the end.

I'd be shopping Watson and Poblah for trade during this season.  I don't think Poblah will succeed here, and I don't think Watson is going to last much longer, at least as an elite level player.  He's one of those guys who is never really healthy, even when he is "healthy."

If we can get a 1st or 2nd round pick for either I'd take it.  Montreal has nothing at NI receiver and are probably going to make a push since Calvillo is near the end.

Agreed.

So who would you keep in terms of 6 NIs?

Assuming only rostered players are in the draft (not guys who teams own CFL rights to like Bilikudi and Mulumba):

Greaves, Swiston, Pencer, Etienne, Kohlert, Muamba

If Bilikudi and Mulumba are included, I'd knock off one of the receivers and protect Mulumba.

I find it interesting that you'd protect JE