Jian Ghomeshi and the CBC

iso_55

Speaking of defending themselves... Then there's Jan Ghomeshi. Wonder if he thought 8 women & counting would speak out after he throws a $55 million lawsuit out at the CBC? Pretty evident that the lawsuit is nothing but a smokescreen to scare accusers off. Didn't work, Now back to our regular discussion. 

I actually saw a piece the other day that explains the reasoning for that lawsuit and it's less to do with actually winning a lawsuit.

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/10/28/jian-ghomseshi-lawsuit-cbc/

Very interesting case with multiple issues.  Its been interesting watching the public opinion turn.

The issue of whether an employer can fire an employee over accusations that do not involve the police is an intriguing one.  I would say for sure they can.  This issue arose in the NFL recently too when people asked why a player would be suspended when charged but not convicted.  Many employers have so-called morality clauses.  In the case of something like Jian, normally it would be a suspension pending an internal investigation especially in a unionized workplace like the CBC.  Clearly, the information the CBC had was enough for them to decide they no longer wanted to be in the Jian business.  And the information that has since come out would seem to indicate that was the correct decision.

One thing that bothers me though, is the amount of people coming out of the woodwork to say they knew.  I wont blame a victim for not coming forward but to a degree I question it.  I thought there a stronger sense of sisterhood that would have resulted in victims going to the police to prevent this from happening again.  I realise its a difficult position to be put in especially when you see how Jian has managed to frame his accusers as jilted ex-lovers looking for revenge and the online harrasment they have endured.

But there was an article in the Free Press by, I think Melissa Martin and it just rubbed me the wrong way.  It stank of opportunism.  She had a passing and tenuous connection to Jian but decided to get in on the media gravy train.  Just didnt sit right with me.

Very interesting case with multiple issues.  Its been interesting watching the public opinion turn.

The issue of whether an employer can fire an employee over accusations that do not involve the police is an intriguing one.  I would say for sure they can.  This issue arose in the NFL recently too when people asked why a player would be suspended when charged but not convicted.  Many employers have so-called morality clauses.  In the case of something like Jian, normally it would be a suspension pending an internal investigation especially in a unionized workplace like the CBC.  Clearly, the information the CBC had was enough for them to decide they no longer wanted to be in the Jian business.  And the information that has since come out would seem to indicate that was the correct decision.

One thing that bothers me though, is the amount of people coming out of the woodwork to say they knew.  I wont blame a victim for not coming forward but to a degree I question it.  I thought there a stronger sense of sisterhood that would have resulted in victims going to the police to prevent this from happening again.  I realise its a difficult position to be put in especially when you see how Jian has managed to frame his accusers as jilted ex-lovers looking for revenge and the online harrasment they have endured.

But there was an article in the Free Press by, I think Melissa Martin and it just rubbed me the wrong way.  It stank of opportunism.  She had a passing and tenuous connection to Jian but decided to get in on the media gravy train.  Just didnt sit right with me.

You missed the point of Melissa's post.  She is explaining why everyone "knew" but didn't say anything.  And I personally think she did a great job of getting her point across.

Also keep in mind that she is very active in this subject matter, having been a victim of domestic abuse herself.

That is, if we are speaking about the same post.  I am referring to her blog: http://www.nothinginwinnipeg.com/2014/10/do-you-know-about-jian/

You missed the point of Melissa's post.  She is explaining why everyone "knew" but didn't say anything.  And I personally think she did a great job of getting her point across.

Also keep in mind that she is very active in this subject matter, having been a victim of domestic abuse herself.

That is, if we are speaking about the same post.  I am referring to her blog: http://www.nothinginwinnipeg.com/2014/10/do-you-know-about-jian/

I understood her point.  I just dont feel very good about someone after the fact getting pub from "oh I knew".

I totally accept why many victims dont come forward.  We can understand it.  We can accept it.  We can try to change it and we should.  But ultimately, when someone says "Well I would have come forward but I thought it would go nowhere or I'd be harrassed" then the answer is, well, you cant really complain then.

I was involved in a very serious situation a few years ago involving a very well known criminal organization.  There was a lot of violence and death threats and it came down to a question of whether we testify or not.  Sometimes you cant just leave it to the next person.  I know thats not always fair.  It just seems like a lot of media people are tripping over themselves to say "hey I knew! I knew!"  Almost like they want their 15 minutes being connected to a major news story.  Doesnt feel right.

Sorry but this statement:

"I totally accept why many victims dont come forward."

does not work with this statement:

"But ultimately, when someone says "Well I would have come forward but I thought it would go nowhere or I'd be harrassed" then the answer is, well, you cant really complain then."

The second statement shows that you actually don't accept why many victims don't come forward.

It's not fair.  Women/natives/blacks get all this great advice from white men on how they should feel and act and think and dress and speak, and what do we get in return?  Not even a national holiday.

That's not true, we get liberals and feminists telling us how to think correctly all the time.

I can honestly say that I've only heard of this clown because one time in an interview Billy Bob Thornton yelled at him.  I have no use for CBC Raidio - their programing is so leftist it usually makes me vomit in those rare occasions where I accidently end up listening to it, especially when I think that my tax dollars are paying for it. If this guy was hurting women then he should pay for that. 

"But ultimately, when someone says "Well I would have come forward but I thought it would go nowhere or I'd be harrassed" then the answer is, well, you cant really complain then."

The second statement shows that you actually don't accept why many victims don't come forward.

Wrong again Cecil. You can be black and white. My opinion has a little more depth.

Regardless I'm glad to see the women coming forward now. Hopefully they don't just tell the media.

I can honestly say that I've only heard of this clown because one time in an interview Billy Bob Thornton yelled at him. I have no use for CBC Raidio - their programing is so leftist it usually makes me vomit in those rare occasions where I accidently end up listening to it, especially when I think that my tax dollars are paying for it. If this guy was hurting women then he should pay for that.

He was also in the band Moxy Fruvious if you're old enough to remember them. They did My Baby Loves A Bunch of Authors.

So, with these allegations & women coming forward I'd hope the police arrest this loser & he's charged with rape & assault,  Among other charges. 

Its an interesting case because the public pressure seems to be heading in this direction but the police need victims to make complaints and be willing to pursue the matter.  They could certainly investigate and file charges based on gathering evidence of a crime but as we all know, if the victims wont testify, it makes it very difficult to proceed.

His PR firms have now dropped him as a client.  He's pretty much screwed now.

Wrong again Cecil. You can be black and white. My opinion has a little more depth.

Regardless I'm glad to see the women coming forward now. Hopefully they don't just tell the media.

there is a prettu good article in the freepress today that addresses this.

Cops can press charges & I think they'll be going that way. If a female victim goes to the media I think it's a good likelihood they'll testify in court. Eight women have said publicly that Ghomeshi sexually & physically assaulted them. He should go to jail & I hope he does. Not because he's a celebrity & I know that we like to see arrogant pricks  be taken down but because it's the right & proper thing to happen. 

Cops can press charges & I think they'll be going that way. If a female victim goes to the media I think it's a good likelihood they'll testify in court. Eight women have said publicly that Ghomeshi sexually & physically assaulted them. He should go to jail & I hope he does. Not because he's a celebrity & I know that we like to see arrogant pricks  be taken down but because it's the right & proper thing to happen. 

Saying it anonymously is a lot different then being subjected to cross examination and all the nasty tricks the defense will play to drag the accusers through the mud.  But the two women who have released their names are high profile and respected.

CBC likes to develop these cults of personality for their "stars"

When Gzowski died, there was almost a national day of mourning declared by CBC. They went on for months replaying his "greatest moments" Everyone on staff had to line up and recite some

recollection of his brilliance.

I think If CBC  could have arranged it flags at parliament would have been lowered.

re Gomeshi…

Hitting people, to get some pleasure, even if they agree to it 

is not "adventurous " 

It's vile.

Looking at all the photos I'm  seeing of him lately, his smirking gaze is nauseating.

Latest news, I heard this morning I heard his dog moved out.