The BEER thread

bluto

yeah steamwhistle and mill st. show up in Calgary at least, fairly easy to come across as well. I know I tried Steamwhistle at beerfest one year and I am pretty sure I've tried mill st. stuff but can't quite place it. I wanna say some type of oatmeal porter? does that sound right?

yeah steamwhistle and mill st. show up in Calgary at least, fairly easy to come across as well. I know I tried Steamwhistle at beerfest one year and I am pretty sure I've tried mill st. stuff but can't quite place it. I wanna say some type of oatmeal porter? does that sound right?

they have seasonal beers in their brewpub (should really do lunch or dinner there when you're in town... then also go to Bier Markt) and i seem to recall something like an oatmeal porter... not %100 though

Yeah the oatmeal porter was a mill st. thing, was real good, I always pass over that stuff when I'm wandering through the liquor store, maybe I'll have to actually pick some up some time. Never seen Hop City but I will keep an eye out. There's a few well stocked beer coolers in a couple liquor stores nearby. 

Wellington county stuff is great if you get the chance. Their brown ale made me stop getting Newcastle so much - and that's saying something.

Love Mill St. Stock Ale, less so the Tankhouse. Steamwhistle is great in the summer but pilsner seems less enjoyable other times in the year. Is this just me ?

Wellington county stuff is great if you get the chance. Their brown ale made me stop getting Newcastle so much - and that's saying something.

Love Mill St. Stock Ale, less so the Tankhouse. Steamwhistle is great in the summer but pilsner seems less enjoyable other times in the year. Is this just me ?

i love continental lagers year round. most of the beers on my "B" list are of that type.

Drink Ales and IPAs far more than straight up lagers but Amsterdam in TOR. makes a hell of a lager. Not crazy about their dark - too busy.

awesome patio there.

muskoka chairs all lined up right in front of the lake...

While I was in BC a couple of years ago I decided to try something new and had "King Heffy Imperial" (I believe that was the name), It was actually pretty good IMO.

I really like anything Kona brand (Hawaii). http://konabrewingco.com/

Leffe is super good, best part of the Belgian pavilion every year at Folklorama.

My go to beer when out and about here in the city is a St.James Pale Ale.  At home, I usually just buy "the norms" from the vendor.... Bud, Kokanee, Lucky (if payday hasn't arrived) or a Moosehead for something different.

Lately, I've been drinking a lot of Rolling Rock too...

MMMMMM BEEEEEEEEER. (this is a lot more fun that discussing the depressing Bombers...)

This is a little more like it.

A lot of people don’t know it, but we actually have a great selection of widely respected breweries in our great nation, of which brew some of the best beers I have tried. 

I’m not a fan of the common, commercialized beers mainly because of its production in such high volumes, which means less attention to the strict fermentation process and how/when different ingredients are added.  

Smaller more refined breweries like Vancouver Island, Howe Sound Brewing and Central City have produced some of the best craft beers that I have had.  Howe Sound recently came out with Loose Cannon which is a dark lager.  I am usually not a fan of dark beers, but this one has a hint of chocolate flavour and has a cleaner taste than any other dark lager I have had.  

Howe also has the Devil’s Elbow, which is a great tasting IPA, with a very specific dry-hopping process that is done post fermentation. 

Vancouver Island Brewery makes a nice honey ale called High Trail (used to be called Spyhopper HB). Less hops than I usually like, but it’s harder to tell because of the blend.

And if you more brave (and are lucky enough to get your hands on it), VI also comes out with a limited release winter brew called Hermannator, a rich malt, almost caramel like blend brewed at 9.5%.  Goes excellent with a nice New York strip.

Central City is generally most known for its Red Racer line of craft beers.  The Red Racer IPA has an incredible hops taste for an IPA.  I am not too familiar with the rest of the line, but the ESB (Extra Special Bitter) seems to be intriguing to me.

These are a few that I have been enjoying over the last little while usually with dinner. For an everyday type that you would usually see stocked in my fridge, I’m very partial, and biased to Half Pints.  They make a great Amber Ale which is typically my favourite for most regular days because it's not so heavy and it goes well on it's own.

Probably because pilsner is generally more crisp with a 'clean' bitter taste.  

I enjoy a good Mill St. every time I go to TO.  Can't remember what's on tap though at most places.  Would love to check out the pub next time I am there.

I'm a beer snob. I absolutely love Steam whistle, but the cans and bottles I've bought in MB and AB taste different from what I had in Toronto. It loses a lot of its hoppy and malty flavor somehow. For the best pilsner(side note: that sewer water called pilsner in SK is not a true pilsener, nor hardly beer IMO) buy Pilsner Urquell, strait from The Czech Republic, and brewed in the town of Pilsen. Its actually not really any more expensive than your typical brews.

I also love a good hoppy ale, IPAs, nut browns. I brew my own IPA ever now and then. It's a lot of work but fun and rewarding. All-grain brews or nothing, corn-based brews like Budweiser etc taste like water to me now, no malt or bitterness that are essential to a proper beer.

I'm a beer snob. I absolutely love Steam whistle, but the cans and bottles I've bought in MB and AB taste different from what I had in Toronto. It loses a lot of its hoppy and malty flavor somehow. For the best pilsner(side note: that sewer water called pilsner in SK is not a true pilsener, nor hardly beer IMO) buy Pilsner Urquell, strait from The Czech Republic, and brewed in the town of Pilsen. Its actually not really any more expensive than your typical brews.

I also love a good hoppy ale, IPAs, nut browns. I brew my own IPA ever now and then. It's a lot of work but fun and rewarding. All-grain brews or nothing, corn-based brews like Budweiser etc taste like water to me now, no malt or bitterness that are essential to a proper beer.

Ever tried Samuel Smith's Nut Brown?  If you are a fan of English brews, and really enjoy that hearty nut flavour you would like it,

Gregg Zaun has a Grey Cup party every year went last year, it was sponsored by Steamwhistle. Open bar the whole night one of the best nights I had in awhile. Got a picture with Damon Allen.

Oh man, I remember going up to Arash Madani at that party and asking him why he hated the Bombers so much.  His response??  "I just write whatever people are going to get worked up about".

Then a friend of mine totally got cock blocked Damon Allen.  That is all.  For $50, it was a great party.  Should be crazy at Regina this year.

Beer wise,  I'm far from a beer snob.  But... I just cannot understand how anyone can drink the crap that is Bud Lite Lime, etc.  Usually I'll drink Keiths, Sleemans Honey Brown, or St James Pale Ale (aww Winnipeg).