Lions @ Bombers GDT - - Win Or You're Out

Noeller

I really really don't understand why most people here are in love with Willy... He might have had the worst second half of a season I've ever seen from a Bombers QB.

Because he's shown to be highly capable, it's his first year as a starter and he's surrounded by (at most times) a pretty terrible supporting cast?
My god the first 6 games of the year left quite an impression on you didn't they

I really really don't understand why most people here are in love with Willy... He might have had the worst second half of a season I've ever seen from a Bombers QB.

Because he's shown to be highly capable, it's his first year as a starter and he's surrounded by (at most times) a pretty terrible supporting cast?
My god the first 6 games of the year left quite an impression on you didn't they

That's the thing isn't it? And best part - the first 6 games was 'all Willy' and the last 9 - 'Oh it's the 'team''. You can't give one guy all the credit for a win and none for a loss. I've never seen a team get as many penalties as BC did, especially in first half, and not get blown out. That's on Willy

Those sacks are the fault of both Drew Willy and Marcel Bellefeuille, each taking 50/50 responsibility for them.  Part of that is on Willy because he had plenty of time to find checkdown options on plays where his WRs were downfield and he got too greedy trying to look for big plays.  There's no way though that he couldn't have not had other options where some 3rd or 4th reads were not open.  The other is Bellefeuille's fault because not sticking with Cotton who was running right through that BC defense that 1st half was a dumb idea.  When your running game is tearing it up, you stick with it until the opposition shows they can stop it, they did not in this game.  No reason to go away from it whatsoever.  Normally I'd be on the O-line for costing us games and giving up plays, but this one is on Willy and Bellefeuille for not sticking with what was working.

you-play-to-win-o.gif

I'm one of the biggest Willy fans around, but he's been a complete disaster the last month or so. We probably win this game with Brohm as our QB. Willy is shell shocked and needs to be sat down for the game in Calgary. It's extremely disappointing to see that he's regressed as the season has gone on, I understand that his supporting cast is terrible but that doesn't completely excuse his poor play.

Not hat's not it at all, it's because people are in love with stats, if his completioon percentage was crap and his yardage lower they'd hate him. But because he has artificially high completion percentage( from not throwing the ball away when he needs to), and his yardage is high from continually thorwing bombs more than he should be. THey love him! Even though the majority of the time he makes the stupidest decision ever, alas Saskatchew games or the game tonight! Even less then mediocre QB play and we win tonight. Seriously, I understand the need to defend our QB after how hard we've been on QBS over the years, but this year Willy has had a million chances to prove his worth and he' s progressively getting worse, and not only worse, but progressively getting more idiotic with his decision making. Several games this year, in a city with in a less sensitive and touchy situation(scare to hurt the starting QBS feelings), Willy would of or should have  been benched.

Not hat's not it at all, it's because people are in love with stats, if his completioon percentage was crap and his yardage lower they'd hate him. But because he has artificially high completion percentage( from not throwing the ball away when he needs to), and his yardage is high from continually thorwing bombs more than he should be. THey love him! Even though the majority of the time he makes the stupidest decision ever, alas Saskatchew games or the game tonight! Even less then mediocre QB play and we win tonight. Seriously, I understand the need to defend our QB after how hard we've been on QBS over the years, but this year Willy has had a million chances to prove his worth and he' s progressively getting worse, and not only worse, but progressively getting more idiotic with his decision making. Several games this year, in a city with in a less sensitive and touchy situation(scare to hurt the starting QBS feelings), Willy would of or should have  been benched.

Yes, coaches are complicit in this. It has been obvious since about game 5-6 that Drew Willy takes too long to put the ball in play. He seems to have no sense of how to build tempo in an offence. He uses too much time pre-snap and post snap. Bellefeuille's playcalling is asinine sometimes but the core problem is game temp. You could see a real improvement in game tempo, and therefore offensive production, in the Calgary game with Brohm and Marve at the helm. So what the heck's going on with these coaches? Do they not see it too?

I don't buy the notion that Willy is playing with crap talent on offence any longer.  A lot of the blame that has been thrown on the receivers recently is misdirected and is partially on Willy.  Before the game Willy was talking about spreading the ball around making use of all the weapons but he did nothing of the kind and yet last week with the two backup QBs playing miraculously this was accomplished.  And as for Kelly being too slow, Kohlert caught 8 balls last week and he makes Kelly look like the roadrunner.

In the first half of the season, certainly.  Not so much in the second half.  He was responsible for at least a few of those sacks - took too long to get rid of the ball.  And some really poor throws - especially that first interception which was double coverage from the moment he released the ball.

Not saying he can't be capable, but he has not proven he will be capable long term, not by a long shot

One thing that really strikes me about Willy is how poor his throws are on the corner routes.  Has he completed one of those passes in the endzone in the second half of this season.  His long passes are generally quite inaccurate as well.  Glenn certainly throws a better long ball than Willy, that's for sure - 2 completions for ample yardage and another that would have been completed, but for pass interference.  I certainly won't say Willy is the best QB we have had since Khari..not yet anyway.  Glenn, as a Bomber, was a stepup.

Some people are just able to look at the big picture and not fall into the shallow line of thinking that "team loses, qb must be bad!!!!"

Some people are just able to look at the big picture and not fall into the shallow line of thinking that "team loses, qb must be bad!!!!"

Yeah that's what I did.

Or... I looked at a Qb being bad and simply called it as it is.

And as for Kelly being too slow, Kohlert caught 8 balls last week and he makes Kelly look like the roadrunner.

Kohlert put up a 4.45 40 time in college, which was better than Kelly's. Kohlert also had a faster shuttle time.

Kohlert is far from slow.. He is often out legging his DB... He's not a stoddard or a Geoff drover by any stretch (tho his clutchness hopefully will catch up to Jaimie's)

SteamingBlue.gif……….The fight for the 2nd overall pick random notes..

- I don't think I've ever seen a team as bad as we were this year trying 2-point conversions..I mean they do know you can try more than that one play, don't they?

- It was really nice to see a running game going, so the question is, why did they put it to bed? 131 yards on 16 carries…nice

- The Bombers, once again had very good discipline…BC- 22 penalties..Wow.

- Speaking of penalties, did you see Kashawn Frazer absolutely destroy Kevin Glenn on a Nic Girgsby type tackle on the RTP penalty? Touched him horrendously. 

- Marcel Bellefeuille deserves a thread of his own, and it wouldn't be pretty.

- If what they're saying is true, and we're only getting rid of one co-ordinator, it'd be a close vote, kind of reverse race really.

- Drew Willy needs help, but he doesn't seem to be getting it from this staff. That has to change. 

- The play of Johnny Sears bordered on the ridiculously awesome.

- # 13 Unumba…now we know why they kept him around…he's good.

- MOS has to learn that it's OK to pull your QB, if only for a series or two. Doesn't make him a bad Coach, just a newer one.

- Proof, in this last game, that we don't need Kuale.

- Bombers out rushed BC 145 to 95…and still lost. There goes that stat.