The Music Thread

AtlanticRiderFan

I think the first instrument i ever owned was a drum kit but i got no rhythm so i quickly traded it for a guitar and amp (which bigg jay ended up selling on me for beer or weed money when we were kids... <_<) but I love watching drum vids on youtube. there is one korean chick named A-Yeon that sometimes plays drums in lingerie... i could watch her all day

then there's this girl Brooke C. I think she's 14 in this video (17 now) she does a lot of metal/hard rock covers but she's pretty good,  wouldn't be surprised to see her in a famous band someday

On 7/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, MOBomberFan said:

Been on a July Talk kick lately. I love both their voices. The guy sounds like heavier gravelly Tom Waits/Leonard Cohen type.

I was initially skeptical about this band... their radio hits felt very fabricated... almost like the record company put together a pop band and gave them a bit of an edge so they could get rock radio play... I couldn't picture them starting out as a garage band...

then one day, I turned on my TV and the last thing I was watching was hockey playoffs so my TV was on CBC... and on the tube was this:

And this gave me a different impression of them... they felt and seemed more like a true working rock band... I wouldn't say that I'm a huge fan of the band, but I have a new level of respect for them as a rock band...

34 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Bran Dailor is f****n amazing... here the full "cover" of that clip:

Thanks!

I agree, about Bran.

Not many people that can play that many notes, and still have it completely musical.  Usually ends up as noise.

Not with Bran.

have you heard him talk about his life? Some extremely tough times for him growing up.

Johnzo has seen Mastodon a few times.  They were in the peg but that was before I had heard them, so did not go.

Edited by Mark F

On 8/13/2017 at 2:47 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think the first instrument i ever owned was a drum kit but i got no rhythm so i quickly traded it for a guitar and amp (which bigg jay ended up selling on me for beer or weed money when we were kids... <_<) but I love watching drum vids on youtube. there is one korean chick named A-Yeon that sometimes plays drums in lingerie... i could watch her all day

then there's this girl Brooke C. I think she's 14 in this video (17 now) she does a lot of metal/hard rock covers but she's pretty good,  wouldn't be surprised to see her in a famous band someday

I was promised a white tshirt and did not get it :(

A few years ago I saw a youtube of Bran playing the Last Baron live, with the sound 80% drums and 20% other.  Wish I could find it again.  It was unbelievable how underneath this gigantic metal song there was this crazy ass swinging beat. Loved it.

He can sing a bit too.  Singing drummers are excellent.

Speaking of crazy ass swinging beats, gotta link to Nicko McBrain soloing my favorite Iron Maiden song.  Guy plays those triplets on a single pedal.  Just sick.

Edited by johnzo

While we're talking about metal drummers -- here is Sabbath playing War Pigs in 1970 in Paris.  The whole band is fantastic, Ozzy hasn't melted his brain yet and Tony Iommi's heavy guitar sound shakes the foundations of the earth -- but the star here is Bill Ward. He is a true beast.  When he passes, there had better be a new constellation in the sky.

22 hours ago, Mark F said:

Thanks!

I agree, about Bran.

Not many people that can play that many notes, and still have it completely musical.  Usually ends up as noise.

Not with Bran.

have you heard him talk about his life? Some extremely tough times for him growing up.

Johnzo has seen Mastodon a few times.  They were in the peg but that was before I had heard them, so did not go.

You know what I think is the most impressive part of that video?... the fact that he's playing with a recording... so not only does he hit all those notes with speed and precision... but he also keeps in perfect time the whole way through... 

20 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Anyone looking to buy some equipment?

What kind of equipment?... I'm always looking for stuff... nothing drums right now though.... looking for modulation and compressor pedals....

or if you happen to have an American made strat that you want to sell for like $500...I'd be all over that too ;)

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

You know what I think is the most impressive part of that video?... the fact that he's playing with a recording... so not only does he hit all those notes with speed and precision... but he also keeps in perfect time the whole way through... 

There's a click track.... I think......  I heard a high hat going throughout.     If not, yeah, he would need perfect metronome time.

which he probably does have anyway.

Heard some musicians from India, with Zakir Hussein, two violin players were in the band. they played long melodies in unison with very odd time signatures. fast. at one point they all just stopped playing. total silence. for quite a while.

Then with no cue, BANG, all started again in perfect time. never heard anything like it. I thought at the time , one billion people there , some of them are bound to be on another level altogether

Tony Williams was the absolute master of that kind of thing I think. There's a live miles davis album he's on, where he leads them all around by the nose with his cross rhythms, tempo changes, stops and starts.

Edited by Mark F

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...