Scouting, Tweaking or Changing

BigBlue

What are the chances the bombers will be bringing in some new bodies this week?

I'm betting the number will be zero or so close to zero as to be indistinguishable from zero. What you see is what we got for the rest of the season.

I guarantee we see new bodies in the coming weeks.  They might not see the active roster until next season, but when the practice roster expands shortly, there will be new bodies brought in.  Mostly to be evaluated for next year.

The question then becomes how long do the Bombers wait if the poor play of the Dline rests on Etch? Seems it's a pretty steep price to pay. If they won't bring in guys who don't fit in Etch system maybe he should revise it to accommodate these guys.  

There were two things that happened Sunday that had me wondering:

1 - During the early part of the game we had great success with the short game. Then we went to the long plays and were 2 and out most times. 

2 - Up to the late part of the fourth quarter we seem to have the running game managed. According to Brown who I think knows defence we changed our game plan and they exploited that.

In their glory days, Edmonton got let off with all kinds of penalties, they were treated differently than other teams. I don't know why.

It looks like these days, Sask is getting the same privileged treatment.

My question, 

on the last sask drive, why was durant allowed to run for 30 yards, and three first downs? we know he's going to do that.

The question then becomes how long do the Bombers wait if the poor play of the Dline rests on Etch? Seems it's a pretty steep price to pay. If they won't bring in guys who don't fit in Etch system maybe he should revise it to accommodate these guys.  

1 - During the early part of the game we had great success with the short game. Then we went to the long plays and were 2 and out most times. 

2 - Up to the late part of the fourth quarter we seem to have the running game managed. According to Brown who I think knows defence we changed our game plan and they exploited that.

- Bellefuile started stretching the field on our fifth pass... and we had a really nice drive - all short passes - for the TD in the 3rd

- Etch does seem to have difficulty adjusting to Cortez' game, going to be in tough against Dickenson too

In their glory days, Edmonton got let off with all kinds of penalties, they were treated differently than other teams. I don't know why.

It looks like these days, Sask is getting the same privileged treatment.

My question, 

on the last sask drive, why was durant allowed to run for 30 yards, and three first downs? we know he's going to do that.

Kuale does not have football sense.

The logic behind it is pretty straightforward.... passing wins and loses in the CFL, Etch is gambling that his D will stop the run enough times overall to be effective because if you are good against the pass chances are you will win more than lose. There is some logic there, it's worked in other games this year, but the Riders are the team in the CFL that is most committed to running the football. I even said about their earlier losses they could have probably won those games if Chamblin hadn't been an idiot and benched his runningbacks and abandoned the running game that was working for them. It's the worst matchup for an Etchevary defense. Cornish will also likely prove to be a real big challenge for them as well but against everyone else they seem to do fine. Too bad the playoffs in the west likely involve both Calgary and Saskatchewan. 

What are the chances the bombers will be bringing in some new bodies this week?

I'm betting the number will be zero or so close to zero as to be indistinguishable from zero. What you see is what we got for the rest of the season.

I guarantee we see new bodies in the coming weeks.  They might not see the active roster until next season, but when the practice roster expands shortly, there will be new bodies brought in.  Mostly to be evaluated for next year.

Same as every year really.  Unless there is a player who has been here before and would have a minimal learning curve, like Phillip Hunt, it takes an injury or high levels of incompetence before the couple of guys added to the PR have a crack at moving up to the 46.  For most of them it's an early audition for next year's training camp.  The amount of catch up an offensive player has to do learning the playbook, learning the CFL, and establishing some kind of rapport with our QB makes adding impact players pretty remote.  Same as every year.

And we'll see this same "airlift in new players" thread show up 365 days from now.

- Bellefuile started stretching the field on our fifth pass... and we had a really nice drive - all short passes - for the TD in the 3rd

- Etch does seem to have difficulty adjusting to Cortez' game, going to be in tough against Dickenson too

Stretching out the field helps keep the underneath stuff open.  We don't have to connect on all of them for it to have value.  It was a bit odd that we failed to connect on any of them, but Saskatchewan still had to respect the deep game.

And just like in the last Rider game, their Oline blew up massive holes in our Dline.  More often than not their RBs went untouched until they were 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.  4 Riders in the top 15 in CFL rushing?  Behind an Oline like that, I don't know why they waste plays passing.

And the similar quality of Calgary's Oline will create similar problems.  Compounding that, Calgary has a solid passing game, while the Riders passing attack kinda sucks this year.  We were in a position to win both games against the Riders so far and made at least one too many mistakes to earn a W.  The games against Calgary will have to be nearly mistake-free.  They are the class of the CFL.

As much as it chokes me to lose a game like that, it reiterates a few things.  This team is vastly improved over last years team and is moving in the right direction.  But the Bombers just arent good enough and dont have the talent it takes to be a top team yet.  They are good enough to compete and potentially win against any team if the stars allign, but they are just good enough to lose those games too.

We'll get there. 

Weren't folks saying that Messam wouldn't do anything for the rest of the season and we'd handle him this game because we knew it was coming?  Wrong and wrong.  Just as wrong to say he wouldn't have been useful to us. 

Agree. Walters miss the boat on Messam. I dont agree that Volny can make the same production  as his.

With Messam instead of Volny, pretty sure OShea goes for that 3rd and 1...

Irrelevant... that play would be QB sneak or nothing...

Stretching out the field helps keep the underneath stuff open.  We don't have to connect on all of them for it to have value.  It was a bit odd that we failed to connect on any of them, but Saskatchewan still had to respect the deep game.

And just like in the last Rider game, their Oline blew up massive holes in our Dline.  More often than not their RBs went untouched until they were 7 yards past the line of scrimmage.  4 Riders in the top 15 in CFL rushing?  Behind an Oline like that, I don't know why they waste plays passing.

And the similar quality of Calgary's Oline will create similar problems.  Compounding that, Calgary has a solid passing game, while the Riders passing attack kinda sucks this year.  We were in a position to win both games against the Riders so far and made at least one too many mistakes to earn a W.  The games against Calgary will have to be nearly mistake-free.  They are the class of the CFL.

I agree you have to stretch the field but wouldn't you want to wait until they had stopped the short stuff. Both the running and the short passing game were giving them troubles so why keep doing it. Throw long once just to keep them honest but on every second down. I know that game is done but the season isn't. 

That's football 101. The assumption I'm making is Etch is devising defensive packages to fit with the players he has not trying to fit his existing players into a scheme he believes would work . I would hope this assumption is true..

I agree you have to stretch the field but wouldn't you want to wait until they had stopped the short stuff. Both the running and the short passing game were giving them troubles so why keep doing it. Throw long once just to keep them honest but on every second down. I know that game is done but the season isn't. 

No, keep the opposing defense off balance and your day as an offense is a lot easier. Make them cover everything from the get go, give yourself the most options. 

The game was far from done.

I'm not going to watch the game again but from what I remember only one of the deep passes you are referring to had more than one receiver going deep.  In other words, most of the time the deep ball was Willy's option rather than a called play, probably based on a) matchup he liked/ pre-snap coverage read he thought he saw, or b ) all of the underneath routes were well covered.  Only one pass looked like going deep was the original playcall.  Of course it's hard to know what the order of the receiver reads are on any given play.

Messam has had 2 good games this entire season, both vs the bombers, i wish people would actually look at the bigger picture and realize that our team is very vulnerable to the run, it's not just messam and the riders that have run on us, it's the entire league. Doesn't matter what team we play, they all run on us. 

says one of the guys who just cant admit he was wrong

wrong about what exactly? that we shouldn't have signed messam? If you think for one second that Messam does the same behind our oline as he has done behind sask oline, you are kidding me, he's not even their number 1 running back, THe guy sat unsigned for 2 3 weeks. Should we have signed him? I don't think so cuz i don't think he'd make that much of a difference behind our oline. Messams stats for this season 38 rushing attempts for 258 yards. Messams rushing against the bombers... 25 carries 190 yards... Meaning in his other games he has had 13 carries for 68 yards. He's not as good as you think. Would he have made a difference if he was playing for us? No, he wouldn't have because then he wouldn't be playing against us. He's put up all his numbers vs the bombers.  7.6 yard average vs the bombers. 5.2 vs the rest of the league on way way less carries.. THe guy has had 75 percent of his carries this season vs the bombers. He'd make no difference to us at all.  Fun fact though : bombers lead the league in giving up the most rushing yards, don't matter who  we play or what running back it is, they all RUN on us. 

Unless the argument is we should have signed him so then he wouldn't be playing against us. But even if that's the argument, why sign a guy just so he doesn't play against you, guess we should sign john chick and everyone else who gives us problems too, just so they wouldn't play against us. 

Messam has had 2 good games this entire season, both vs the bombers, i wish people would actually look at the bigger picture and realize that our team is very vulnerable to the run, it's not just messam and the riders that have run on us, it's the entire league. Doesn't matter what team we play, they all run on us. 

says one of the guys who just cant admit he was wrong

wrong about what exactly? that we shouldn't have signed messam? If you think for one second that Messam does the same behind our oline as he has done behind sask oline, you are kidding me, he's not even their number 1 running back, THe guy sat unsigned for 2 3 weeks. Should we have signed him? I don't think so cuz i don't think he'd make that much of a difference behind our oline. Messams stats for this season 38 rushing attempts for 258 yards. Messams rushing against the bombers... 25 carries 190 yards... Meaning in his other games he has had 13 carries for 68 yards. He's not as good as you think. Would he have made a difference if he was playing for us? No, he wouldn't have because then he wouldn't be playing against us. He's put up all his numbers vs the bombers.  7.6 yard average vs the bombers. 5.2 vs the rest of the league on way way less carries.. THe guy has had 75 percent of his carries this season vs the bombers. He'd make no difference to us at all.  Fun fact though : bombers lead the league in giving up the most rushing yards, don't matter who  we play or what running back it is, they all RUN on us. 

Unless the argument is we should have signed him so then he wouldn't be playing against us. But even if that's the argument, why sign a guy just so he doesn't play against you, guess we should sign john chick and everyone else who gives us problems too, just so they wouldn't play against us. 

Your really reaching... its time to admit it now