Ferguson

I was discussing this with a friend this weekend and his initial response was "okay, the cop probably had a right to shoot him, but why couldnt he just shoot him in the leg?"

Your friend watches too much TV and/or movies. Police are trained to shoot at the torso. In real life, no one has the accuracy to shoot at such a small area in a situation like this - especially if either or both people are moving.

No policemen are trained to shoot for the leg... The reason the police shoot is to stop the threat immediately. So they aim dead straight in the middle of the chest.

Highest % of stopping the threat.

When I went to shoot some guns it was quite difficult for me to get a head shot.

With a moving part, different elevations and the fact that you rarelyhave time to aim its nearly impossible to hit a leg by choice

I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years as a student and found the "gun culture" to be a real eye-opener, we have nothing like it in Canada.  One thing I know is down there if the police tell you to put up your hands or drop a weapon they're only going to tell you once.  After that you're dead, doesn't matter whether you're black,  white or purple.

Re: Gun Culture.  I was involved a huge and contentious debate on another forum about that very subject.  i've always been of the believe Americans dont really understand their "right to bear arms" ammendment and I know there has been argument about the true intent related to placement of comma's etc.  I dont know why the US let it get so far.  Being a collector, hunter or even having a weapon for protection is one thing.  Owning an assault rifle because you can is completely different.

I don't really know if it's got anything to do with the constitution or if it's just the promotion and sale of weapons by a sector of the military industrial complex.  As with most things it all stems from a love of $$$ over all else.  Low prices and easy availability have made guns so common down there that it goes beyond any rhetoric about gun control.  When 6 out of 10 adults have guns are you going to feel comfortable being one of the 4 that doesn't....I'm not so sure.  Guns spawn guns and fear spawns fear.

This is a good synopsis.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/19/seven-facts-about-the-u-s-gun-industry/

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to bump a thread I posted in last but I just read something ludicrous on CNN.

The lawyer for Michael Brown's buddy (he who was in the store when Brown assaulted the woman and robbed the store and also seems to be the only witness to the 'Brown was surrending' story, claiming he was shot in the back which was proved to be a lie) was quoted in a CNN story as saying his client told police about Michael ("Big Mike") and the store but "this wasn't theft.  It was shoplifting". 

The narrative of this story by most of the mainstream media is baffling.  This cop, with zero evidence that he is either a racist or acted inappropriately, is automatically, without facts or investigation, a black-hating executioner.  But the "victim" who is caught on video assaulting a woman and robbing a store is just a misunderstood kid.  Is it bleeding heart liberalism?  Or is big media afraid of being portrayed as "racists"?

If the cop was wrong, throw the book at him.  But the one-sided, over-the-top hyperbole in this case serves no one, especially justice.

CNN is reporting that there are other witnesses and they have cell phone video of their reactions immediately after Brown was shot.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/10/us/ferguson-michael-brown-shooting-witnesses/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

LLCRAP.

The other thing i'll say is, as much as some segments of the population may not agree, a cop will not shoot a civilian unless that cop is threatened. 

Don't they have the interwebs were you live? There are lots of examples of cops shooting/killing people for nothing. maybe not in this case, but, C'mon Man! Whatever you do, don't search "police brutality" on YouTube...

Cops aren't perfect, but some of them are just out and out assholes and should never be in a position of authority, especially with a gun.

The other day I was parking at a shopping mall here in Seattle.  I saw a Jeep that had two bumper stickers:

One was about membership in the National Tactical Officers Association.  This is a training association for tactical cops -- SWAT and the like.

The second bumper sticker is one that's commonly available on the Internet.  It says in English and Arabic "keep back 100 meters or you will be shot."  Stickers like it were used in Iraq.

I can't be certain about what the Jeep's owner meant by putting that  bumper sticker on his vehicle.  Maybe they just hate tailgaters. 

But I sure don't want a cop with a "keep 100 meters back or die" mindset doing policing around me.

• 2 months later...

The people looting in Ferguson, MO have no interest in making things right in American society. I bet when they heard the Grand Jury wouldn't indict the officer they're reaction was ecstatic. Now they had a reason to go out looting & rioting.

I agree. I'm sure there are people who are thoughtfully informed and upset. But that sentiment is undermined by the mindless losers who are tearing Ferguson apart. Either way those people were going to do what they are doing.

We haven't been privy to what the grand jury was but the evidence we have seen, for me the shooting was justified. It doesn't mean it isn't a terrible senseless tragedy though.

The whole thing is sad and ridiculous.

Now there is video out of the step father screaming.... Burn this B.... Down!

Michael Brown's step father?

So sad.  frustrating. 

Ya.

right after the verdict ...  hes standing on a car telling the protesters to burn this  ***** down.

I assume he wasnt arrested even though I would be for doing the same thing.

All these people breakuing the law because they want justice will surely turn themselves into police, right?   The people making accusations of racism are the people who only care about the skin colour of those involved, not the facts of the case.

Ofcourse the real answer is, this isnt about Michael Brown.  It's about an excuse for lawlessness.  No indictment?  Riot.  Indictment? Riot.   

So sad.  frustrating. 

Ya.

right after the verdict ...  hes standing on a car telling the protesters to burn this  ***** down.

All these people breakuing the law because they want justice will surely turn themselves into police, right?   The people making accusations of racism are the people who only care about the skin colour of those involved, not the facts of the case.

Ofcourse the real answer is, this isnt about Michael Brown.  It's about an excuse for lawlessness.  No indictment?  Riot.  Indictment? Riot.   

Whats really sad is now the family is on CNN with their lawyers and are doing nothing but feeding the fire.

They dont seem to be asking for peaceful protests but are more bringing some gas to it.

This whole thing has got way out of hand IMO. And this family doesnt seem to be helping anything as sad as it is to say. 

So sad.  frustrating. 

Ya.

Whats really sad is now the family is on CNN with their lawyers and are doing nothing but feeding the fire.

They dont seem to be asking for peaceful protests but are more bringing some gas to it.

This whole thing has got way out of hand IMO. And this family doesnt seem to be helping anything as sad as it is to say. 

I wonder how much they are being manipulated by people around them.  The Sharpton types.  i wonder if they have actually reviewed the evidence themselves.  They must realise their son committed a robbery that triggered this entire thing.

So sad.  frustrating. 

Ya.

I wonder how much they are being manipulated by people around them.  The Sharpton types.  i wonder if they have actually reviewed the evidence themselves.  They must realise their son committed a robbery that triggered this entire thing.

I dont think they know whats going on. And this may sound bad but.....  These people dont sound very bright at all.

They just dont seem to get it at all. And they are only making them selves look worse.   really sad.

Well certainly the level of understanding of many people involved can be questioned.  Sharpton is actually being critical of the violent protestors but I dont trust him at all.  He criticised the DA for mentioning Brown's crimes.  Thats what started this whole thing.

Like we are to believe this cop who never used his weapon previously is a racist who was eager to kill a young black man and drove around for six years just waiting for his chance?

Well certainly the level of understanding of many people involved can be questioned.  Sharpton is actually being critical of the violent protestors but I dont trust him at all.  He criticised the DA for mentioning Brown's crimes.  Thats what started this whole thing.

Like we are to believe this cop who never used his weapon previously is a racist who was eager to kill a young black man and drove around for six years just waiting for his chance?