Is Bob Wetenhall The Worst Owner In CFL History?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Als Fans Be Angry At The Ws?

• Yes
    • No

Don't forget Nelson Skalbania's disastrous ownership of the Als/Concordes. He brought in a bunch of expensive NFL guys (most notably Vince Feragamo who failed spectacularly) and the team was a disaster. You can lay the blame for the franchise folding at his feet.

Mentioned previously in the thread, Horn Chen was a disaster as the final owner of the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Damn, this little league has survived a lot.

My take is that Skalbania is the worst of all time. He ran the Concordes into the ground and abandoned the Lions the day after he bought them. Runner-up is Feterik, who made the Stampeders a joke but at least he paid his bills.

The Glieberguys were buffoons, but they came closer than anyone else to turning the Riders around, producing the only .500 record in the team's final 15 years (1992).

Don't forget Nelson Skalbania's disastrous ownership of the Als/Concordes. He brought in a bunch of expensive NFL guys (most notably Vince Feragamo who failed spectacularly) and the team was a disaster. You can lay the blame for the franchise folding at his feet.

Mentioned previously in the thread, Horn Chen was a disaster as the final owner of the Ottawa Rough Riders.

Yeah, I was wrong. Skalkbania owned the Als not the Lions. And yes, he brought in Ferragamo, Billy "White Shoes' Johnson & running back David Overstreet in 1981. It's hard to keep track of all these carpetbagging, tire kicking, slick used car type owners that the CFL used to attract. In for a quick buck but always lost money. 

Yeah, I was wrong. Skalkbania owned the Als not the Lions. And yes, he brought in Ferragamo, Billy "White Shoes' Johnson & running back David Overstreet in 1981. It's hard to keep track of all these carpetbagging, tire kicking, slick used car type owners that the CFL used to attract. In for a quick buck but always lost money. 

No you weren't. Skalbania did own the Lions briefly.

I felt kind of sorry for Johnson. Coming to the CFL must have caused quite an identity crisis for him since all CFL players at that time wore white shoes.  ;)

Despite his money, I'd even put Lord Braley on the list just for his limitless corruption and treating the league like his own personal play thing....

I disagree. He saved the Lions after Skalbania's time there and he saved the Argos as well. He's pretty much responsible for Hamilton getting a new stadium from his position on the Pan-Am Games committee. He's done much more to help than hurt the League.

Despite his money, I'd even put Lord Braley on the list just for his limitless corruption and treating the league like his own personal play thing....

I disagree. He saved the Lions after Skalbania's time there and he saved the Argos as well. He's pretty much responsible for Hamilton getting a new stadium from his position on the Pan-Am Games committee. He's done much more to help than hurt the League.

His money has been great for the league, I'm not so sure he has been all that great. 

Been following the league for about 25 years now and lots of these names some of you are mentioning, NO CLUE.

Guess I'm one of the younger ones on the forum?? I dunno but honestly no clue, In my time, i'd have to say the Gliebermans were the worst owners...

I've heard some of the names (skalbania is one), Not sure why that name seems familiar though, Maybe from some of you guys mentioning it before? I dunno, Did he do something else also? 

But yeah Gliebermans in Ottawa by far... Just a gong show there with them from what i remember, Very very young at that time though, Don't really consider having on field success (their only .500 season in 15 years) because of the owners, the owners are the reason that team went under from my recollection... Can't put Braley up there for that reason, Dude saved a couple teams from going under so for that and that alone, he's not one of the worst, He might be one of the best actually, from all accounts he's very hands off...

Can i nominate the Bombers BOD from about 10 years ago to about 1 year ago? LOL, they were pretty much a joke for a long time, seemed to have turned the corner a bit though this season but it's still early but they seemed very very hands on for a long time. 

I've heard some of the names (skalbania is one), Not sure why that name seems familiar though, Maybe from some of you guys mentioning it before? I dunno, Did he do something else also? 

Back in the WHA days, Skalbania owned the Oilers. He added Peter Pocklington as a partner and later sold his interest to Pocklington. He later bought the Indianapolis Racers and signed Wayne Gretzky to a personal services contract when Gretzky was 17. He later sold Gretzky's contract to the Oilers. There is a story that Skalbania and Barry Shenkarow had been flying somewhere together and Skalbania challenged Shenkarow to a game of backgammon - if Skalbania won then Shenkarow would have to give Skalbania a half interest in the Jets and if Shenkarow won he would get Gretzky's contract. Shenkarow turned him down but they still played a number of games of backgammon. Purportedly Shenkarow won the first game and then lost every other game they played. 

the story I heard was that Skalbania offered to sell Gretzy to Pocklington or Shenkarow, and the one who won the game of backgammon would get the right to buy the contract. Pocklington won the game, and so got Gretzky.

Shenkarow said he was offered Gretzky but that the cost was too high as the team was in financial difficulties.

Patrick Roy was drafted using a pick we sent to Montreal.

Oh and numb-nuts Paddock traded Teemu. If we really want to get into us being the worst NHL franchise ever and I didnt even bring up the unis or record of consecutive losses.

I think I would put Skalbania at the tops with the Gliebs in 2nd place. They should not have been allowed a 2nd chance.

Oh and numb-nuts Paddock traded Teemu.

It was the new owners of the team that forced Paddock to make the trade:

That's because the team's new owners and their then-hockey-adviser-turned-failed-GM Bobby Smith couldn't afford an expensive team in Phoenix, either.
"It wasn't a very good time, not a fun thing," said Paddock, now the Philadelphia Flyers' assistant GM. "It was somewhat worded to me that we couldn't have three $3-million forwards on the team.
"That's how times have and haven't changed. It was a financial decision; we had to change the money around and it still happens today."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/teemu-trade-still-galls-135787458.html

Absolutely.  Paddock was a good guy (went to my parent's Chuch).  Imagine the pressure on him during that time.  New owners wanted ONE marquee player and decided they should keep the American (Keith Tkachuk) over the Fin (Selanne).  Paddock did okay in the trade considering he really had limited options and couldnt take back any real contracts.  If Kilger had panned out, it would have been a lot better.  When you talk worst owners in Sports history, I dont know where the Coyotes' owners rank but it must be up there.

if we are going to talk about the worst trades made by the Jets then you have to mention the Dave Babych for Ray Neufeld trade. Just the absolute worst, dumbest move in Jets history. Teemu was bad but it was made due to money issues. The Babych trade was just a massive brainfart by Fergie.