Special Teams - - Our Enigma

BigBlue

1981 - 16 game schedule without the crossover rule - Saskatchewan misses the playoffs with a 9-7 record, Ottawa gets in at 5-11 and Montreal gets in at 3-13 (!).  All 5 Western teams had more wins than the second place team in the East.

btn-mini-edm.png Edmonton  16  14  1  1  

btn-mini-wpg.png Winnipeg  16  11  5  0  

btn-mini-bc.png BC  16  10  6  0  

btn-mini-ssk.png Saskatchewan  16  9  7  0  

btn-mini-cgy.png Calgary  16  6  10  0  

btn-mini-ham.png Hamilton  16  11  4  1  

btn-mini-orr.png Ottawa  16  5  11  0  

btn-mini-mtl.png Montreal  16  3  13  0 

btn-mini-tor.png Toronto  16  2  14  0  

1981 - 16 game schedule without the crossover rule - Saskatchewan misses the playoffs with a 9-7 record, Ottawa gets in at 5-11 and Montreal gets in at 3-13 (!).  All 5 Western teams had more wins than the second place team in the East.

btn-mini-edm.png Edmonton  16  14  1  1  

btn-mini-wpg.png Winnipeg  16  11  5  0  

btn-mini-bc.png BC  16  10  6  0  

btn-mini-ssk.png Saskatchewan  16  9  7  0  

btn-mini-cgy.png Calgary  16  6  10  0  

btn-mini-ham.png Hamilton  16  11  4  1  

btn-mini-orr.png Ottawa  16  5  11  0  

btn-mini-mtl.png Montreal  16  3  13  0 

btn-mini-tor.png Toronto  16  2  14  0  

That year Ottawa, with J.C. Watts, almost beat Edmonton in the Grey Cup. They were leading by 20 points or something like that at half time, but couldn't hold on and Edmonton beat them by a field goal. I remember that game - would have been one of the greatest upsets in sports history.

It seems as though the coaches/players are able to work on these problems.

against Edmonton, some bad tackling….  now, tackling is better, lot of penalties, now, penalties down, 

everything is getting better.

I predict that special teams will be a lot better next game.

Chad Owens and Gizmo Williams are 'Once in a Generation' type of players.  You can't expect every returner to live up to those lofty expectations.  Woods is a solid, if unspectacular returner.  I'd like to see him catch the ball in the air more often and get around the corner every now and then.

Chad Owens and Gizmo Williams are 'Once in a Generation' type of players.  You can't expect every returner to live up to those lofty expectations.  Woods is a solid, if unspectacular returner.  I'd like to see him catch the ball in the air more often and get around the corner every now and then.

Like when he ran for a touchdown that got called back for holding?

Yup.  Just like that, only not needing a hold to make it around the corner.

Yup...always Mr. Negative!

Yup...always Mr. Negative!

As always... complaining about the poster. :rolleyes: