Five years ago today - how far we have come

The post game interview on 'OB with Bob & Mitch after the Montreal road game when he reamed them both out on the air was it for me. I wanted him gone after that. Guys like Burke, Reinebold & Zaleski are just inept & in over their heads as a head coach. Kelly knew what he was doing. I think his behaviour was calculated. I think he felt because he was Lyle Bauer's buddy, he could do & act anyway he wanted because he'd protect him. He showed no one any respect; players, fans & media. Unbelievable arrogance. He deserved everything he got. 

Cheap shots fired at Taman after he left was the point where I realized Kelly had no class, and since I want the head coach of my football team to have class, my desire to have him in charge of this team ended real early.

And was then reinforced a couple hundred times over the next 6 months.

It was fascinating to see people argue that this was how a coach should behave.  That he's "telling it like it is".

Coach OShea has been telling it like it is, and he's been 100% class.  In fact, I find it a bit eerie how infallible he's been to this point.  Humans make mistakes.  Is he not human?

Well things were rather shitty around here for about 5-6 years after Dunigan left for Birmingham. Granted Kelly was long gone after '96 but it was definitely some dark times are we lost Dunigan.

C'mon, we had TJ Rubley. He passed for over 713 yards in one season.   ;)

Dunigan passed for that in one game.lol

The post game interview on 'OB with Bob & Mitch after the Montreal road game when he reamed them both out on the air was it for me. I wanted him gone after that. Guys like Burke, Reinebold & Zaleski are just inept & in over their heads as a head coach. Kelly knew what he was doing. I think his behaviour was calculated. I think he felt because he was Lyle Bauer's buddy, he could do & act anyway he wanted because he'd protect him. He showed no one any respect; players, fans & media. Unbelievable arrogance. He deserved everything he got. 

Cheap shots fired at Taman after he left was the point where I realized Kelly had no class, and since I want the head coach of my football team to have class, my desire to have him in charge of this team ended real early.

And was then reinforced a couple hundred times over the next 6 months.

It was fascinating to see people argue that this was how a coach should behave.  That he's "telling it like it is".

Coach OShea has been telling it like it is, and he's been 100% class.  In fact, I find it a bit eerie how infallible he's been to this point.  Humans make mistakes.  Is he not human?

He's not Bryant Turner, but he's close.

Well things were rather shitty around here for about 5-6 years after Dunigan left for Birmingham. Granted Kelly was long gone after '96 but it was definitely some dark times are we lost Dunigan.

I know, hence the winkey smiley. That was my point. ;)

yeah that was the joke.... c'mon follow along here...  :D

The funny thing about Mike Kelly is he was actually a good football coach.... it was his arrogance, demeanour, and complete lack of class and awareness that did him in...

In fairness to Kelly... why I wouldn't put him at the absolute bottom is because the guy actually seemed to give a **** about winning.   Burke was absolutely miserable and didn't have any kind of emotion aside from droopy face.  

Kelly also had a point with Taman and napkins so he has a few *positives* to go with his massive amount of negatives..... with Burke taking the knee and giving up and making excuses every week and showing zero leadership I would put him at the bottom.

Kelly also had a point with Taman and napkins

He had no point at all.  What he had was a loyal 10 year employee leaving who had operated a team with a budget that consisted of tictacs and lint for a decade and he sneered at him on the way out.  What a classy person would do is thank him for his years of service and wish him well in his future endeavors.  And then shut up.

Mike Kelly and Mike O'Shea are vastly different coaches... That is clear..

I still to this day think Kelly strived to be the biggest.******* he could.. Either to deflect from team or players or just was his "style" but I don't think it was done to ruin himself..

That handled internally interview was the best thing Kelly did as a coach. I applaud him for hammering home to the media that he wasn't talking about it. They could have asked another question but instead they kept going back to the same thing when there was no comment forthcoming. It was the other stuff that Kelly lost me on. His raping of the NI depth and selling off the NI futures, the arrogance to not admit that his offense was broken and didn't work in the modern CFL, the combative approach with fans, guy could have been a good coach but he let his ego get in the way. 

That handled internally interview was the best thing Kelly did as a coach. I applaud him for hammering home to the media that he wasn't talking about it. They could have asked another question but instead they kept going back to the same thing when there was no comment forthcoming. It was the other stuff that Kelly lost me on. His raping of the NI depth and selling off the NI futures, the arrogance to not admit that his offense was broken and didn't work in the modern CFL, the combative approach with fans, guy could have been a good coach but he let his ego get in the way. 

Going after Irving on live radio. That was totally stupid.

Yeah that was the final straw for me too. Mitch and Bob were being very kind in their comments after the Montreal game despite what a ****-show it was, and on comes Kelly and says "I've been listening to all of the bullshit you guys have been sayin' and I'm pissed off" - on live radio. It was the most non-classy, stupid things I've ever heard from a professional coach. Just unbelievable.

Yeah that was the final straw for me too. Mitch and Bob were being very kind in their comments after the Montreal game despite what a ****-show it was, and on comes Kelly and says "I've been listening to all of the bullshit you guys have been sayin' and I'm pissed off" - on live radio. It was the most non-classy, stupid things I've ever heard from a professional coach. Just unbelievable.

The worst part was literally every single week that season there was some sort of controversy revolving Mike Kelly or the team, until they strung together 3 wins. They went those 3 weeks without a fire to put out and looked like they had turned the corner both on and off the field. Then came the Montreal game and the media bullshit comment, and it was back to square one. What a freakin clown show.

Having said that I'd still take Kelly over Burke.

Yeah there was no way the CJOB guys were going to be able to polish that turd and they rightly brought up problems they saw and Kelly's Ego wouldn't allow any criticism so he flipped out on the best CFL broadcaster in the country. Just despicable. 

The worst part was literally every single week that season there was some sort of controversy revolving Mike Kelly or the team, until they strung together 3 wins. They went those 3 weeks without a fire to put out and looked like they had turned the corner both on and off the field. Then came the Montreal game and the media bullshit comment, and it was back to square one. What a freakin clown show.

The day Kelly was fired I never thought I'd want him over ANY other coach... then along came Tim Burke...

The day Kelly was fired I never thought I'd want him over ANY other coach... then along came Tim Burke...

And the man wants a second chance? Laughable. 

He'll make one. And then the board will be all over him and calling for his firing.....

Not if the wins keeps coming