Bombers At Lions - Gameday Thread

Atomic

I saw some positive steps taken last night. If they can just keep building and getting better each week, I'd take it at this point...

They make a lot of changes to players on the defense for reasons other than injury, I want to see them take the same steps on offense and just see what happens before we start firing people higher up the food chain. I'm very much against mid season firings unless they're doing serious damage to the roster long term, so in the situation we're in now let's have a look at what we really have for depth on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of the people starting there now are obviously not getting the job done, let's see what's up next. Put Swiston on the o-line, put someone else at RT, see if that changes anything. Let's get a good long look at someone like Doug Pierce without other guys being injured. They've stuck with the same under achieving bunch of offense for so long time to see if new players don't help. Once you see what you've got for players then let's make some decisions about the rest. Going with the backup qbs like they did is a great first step but there's other positions that they need to take the same approach with. 

Simpson was running well, even know the O line wasn't giving him many holes to run through, but we went away from him in the second half.

No we didn't.

11 carries in the first - 8 in the second (we had less offense overall in the second half).  Statistically, we were less effective running the ball after the break ..  8 carries for 28 yards for a 3.5 yard average whereas in the first we were averaging 5 yards a tote and putting ourselves in a more manageable situation from a down and distance perspective.

They make a lot of changes to players on the defense for reasons other than injury, I want to see them take the same steps on offense and just see what happens before we start firing people higher up the food chain. I'm very much against mid season firings unless they're doing serious damage to the roster long term, so in the situation we're in now let's have a look at what we really have for depth on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of the people starting there now are obviously not getting the job done, let's see what's up next. Put Swiston on the o-line, put someone else at RT, see if that changes anything. Let's get a good long look at someone like Doug Pierce without other guys being injured. They've stuck with the same under achieving bunch of offense for so long time to see if new players don't help. Once you see what you've got for players then let's make some decisions about the rest. Going with the backup qbs like they did is a great first step but there's other positions that they need to take the same approach with. 

The problem with the offensive line is that I don't see anyone on our current roster as a guy who has a mean streak .. who can, hat on hat, drive a guy off the line .. Pencer may be that guy but we won't seem him at all this year .. and who knows if he'll hold up physically ..

No we didn't.

11 carries in the first - 8 in the second (we had less offense overall in the second half).  Statistically, we were less effective running the ball after the break ..  8 carries for 28 yards for a 3.5 yard average whereas in the first we were averaging 5 yards a tote and putting ourselves in a more manageable situation from a down and distance perspective.

if anything they stuck with the run too much. BC was keying in on it and then sitting back waiting for the short pass on 2nd down and then the bombers punted. 

The problem with the offensive line is that I don't see anyone on our current roster as a guy who has a mean streak .. who can, hat on hat, drive a guy off the line .. Pencer may be that guy but we won't seem him at all this year .. and who knows if he'll hold up physically ..

so much this. I want someone on there who will just go out and rip someones head off. 

if anything they stuck with the run too much. BC was keying in on it and then sitting back waiting for the short pass on 2nd down and then the bombers punted. 

Same MO of every defence that will face us .. stop the run and make the QB beat you with his arm .. Goltz is still too eratic at this point (and I don't advocate pulling or sitting him because he needs reps to improve and develop) but you shut down Simpson .. you shut down this offense.

if its not a show about how to make your own granola it won't be televised in Tofino.

We don't even have a tv in our room. Not that I was going to watch anything but the game. I couldn't even hit the chat room cause the Internet was so crappy due to cloudiness. I guess I didn't miss much.

Every game they play we should expect a win. Otherwise why play?

I asked you a direct question and you answer with a stock answer.

I pretty well hoped we would do what we did; 

Play a better defensive game and force them to play well. We accomplished this and JJ and Wild, specifically played feel.

ST teams had to step up. Pretty well a saw off here, save for a coffin corner kick (later bungled) We punted well.

Our offence was again non-imaginative (for Goltz to manage) but they really shold have trusted him more and spread that defence more. Goltz gained experience and looked more than alright, save for a few misses.

Do I have to mention the drops?

Too bland an offence for my liking, but....right up to the end, we had a chance to win.

Soon, we're gonna turn that corner.

Honestly though (and this is me looking for a silver lining more than anything else), Matthews makes a couple of plays .. squeezes the ball .. the outcome of that game could be much different.  A catch inside the redzone to move the chains .. a catch coming out of the shadow of our own endzone helps us manage field position ..

Spot on...these are my choices for non-catches at the very wrong time.

People have to realize, BC made their catches when they had to...we didn't.

I'm sure no one wants to hear it but if Buck Pierce played last night... we probably win.

Not with version of Buck...remember he's the guy who couldn't hook up with C Matthews for crying out loud!

We forced a turnover (Lulay fumble) and had one given to us (Dropped Punt) and turned both into points or else this one wouldn't have even been close.

Each team got ten points off turnovers....still a 7 point game.

This is becoming a concern for me. Seems like every week other teams receivers do more to help their qbs than ours are doing. Too many passes hitting the dirt that should be caught. 

This is becoming a concern for me. Seems like every week other teams receivers do more to help their qbs than ours are doing. Too many passes hitting the dirt that should be caught. 

Bad teams always find ways to lose. Also, in a football game 4 or 5 plays change the outcome of a game. Winning teams make those plays & losing teams don't.

WHY OH WHY do we keep accepting mediocrity from guys like Morley, Boatman and Denmark when the defense is a freakin revolving door if you aren't in top form.

It's pretty obvious that the guys that just tow the line and don't rock the boat are rewarded, not for their play on the field, but for their loyalty. Anyone who has spoken up against the company line has been removed from the team. Mack is a dickhead.

One reason is on the OL it is harder to find starters because it is mostly a Canadian position. So, they have to be drafted & brought along. On the DL it is an American position so more game ready players can be brought in. One area Mack is terrible at is free agency. He won't sign any CFL free agents. If a Canadian OL is available he ain't coming here through a trade or free agency because Mack doesn't want him. We always hear how he likes our guys better & not other team's players. Well, we are seeing the fruit of that moronic philosophy now. Doesn't help he drafts a Canadian OL who has been out of football a year & has shoulder issues. Drafting is great but these players take time. A great GM builds his team by trades & CFL free agency as well. Mack doesn't do that. Talent is talent. Mack doesn't go out & get it.

One reason is on the OL it is harder to find starters because it is mostly a Canadian position. So, they have to be drafted & brought along. On the DL it is an American position so more game ready players can be brought in. One area Mack is terrible at is free agency. He won't sign any CFL free agents. If a Canadian OL is available he ain't coming here through a trade or free agency because Mack doesn't want him. We always hear how he likes our guys better & not other team's players. Well, we are seeing the fruit of that moronic philosophy now. Doesn't help he drafts a Canadian OL who has been out of football a year & has shoulder issues. Drafting is great but these players take time. A great GM builds his team by trades & CFL free agency as well. Mack doesn't do that. Talent is talent. Mack doesn't go out & get it.

This has been my biggest beef with Mack.  While I fundamentally agree that drafting and developing players in your system .. within your organization .. is key to long term success .. it does nothing to address immediate need.  We were a team that lacked quality non-import depth .. we needed bridge players .. guys who could come in for a few seasons while we replenished draft picks and allow those picks to go through a few camps .. it's pricey in the short term but it's a balanced approach to building a team that's competitive now and in the future.

Using Joe Mack's philosophy... If Brendan Labatte had been drafted by another team & becams a free agent  he wouldn't be interested in him because he already likes what he has now & doesn't like other teams free agents. So  when a guy like that is available he isn't even on Joe Mack's radar. It is ridiculously short sighted & stupid & why he has to go.

we use 2 americans on the offensive line, I don't buy that nonsense about it's because we are drafting and developing NIs. Boatmen isn't good enough, why aren't we replacing him like we would a defensive lineman who isn't producing? Swiston developed enough to start earning playing time last season, why isn't he in the games now when it's obvious that some guys there are struggling? this isn't about lack of options, it's about not actually making changes at the position for whatever reason. 

we use 2 americans on the offensive line, I don't buy that nonsense about it's because we are drafting and developing NIs. Boatmen isn't good enough, why aren't we replacing him like we would a defensive lineman who isn't producing? Swiston developed enough to start earning playing time last season, why isn't he in the games now when it's obvious that some guys there are struggling? this isn't about lack of options, it's about not actually making changes at the position for whatever reason. 

Nonsense? Then Mr GM go out & find three new Canadian starters on the OL today, sign them & bring them here in time for the next game? Can't? Really??? ;)

Nonsense? Then Mr GM go out & find three new Canadian starters on the OL today, sign them & bring them here in time for the next game? Can't? Really??? ;)

but we don't need 3 new NIs, one of the biggest issues on the line is the RT which is an american, but we haven't even thought about replacing that guy. We have a backup NI who from all accounts was neck and neck to be a starter coming out of camp, why hasn't he been put in? You see why it's nonsense? There are options to make changes there and they simply aren't taking them. 

but we don't need 3 new NIs, one of the biggest issues on the line is the RT which is an american, but we haven't even thought about replacing that guy. We have a backup NI who from all accounts was neck and neck to be a starter coming out of camp, why hasn't he been put in? You see why it's nonsense? There are options to make changes there and they simply aren't taking them. 

My point is, finding American players to play NOW isn't a problem. But to find Canadians ready to play that are of any quality & unsigned, especially  on the OL is next to impossible. That's my point & why our OL is a mess. We heard Labatte wanted to leave. Maybe he did & maybe he didn't. We can speculate but as we were never in on any meetings we'll never know for sure what really happened. We have lost other Canadian free agents. We don't sign quality Canadian guys to replace them. It never balances out so we continually suffer.