CFL cuts

Can we either make a 2009 thread or go to a forum that was around in 2009 to discuss Mike Kelly and his battles with players?  This is the cuts thread.

All of a sudden this is about Romby Bryant quitting on his team in 2009 which is so long ago, who really cares? Both he & Kelly aren't in the CFL anymore. Besides, if this thread got a little off kilter then just scroll through the comments you don't like.  

Wow. Ticats really knows how to keep their Nationals.

Starting three CDNs on defense for week 1.

Would that be Bulcke, Laurent, and Butler?  Is Courtney Stephen not a starter at the moment?

Plesius is still in the mix at MLB too

Kromah and Bowman out so Plesius in making 4 with Bulke, Butler, Stephen. I think this is a franchise first .

Here are the guys I consider plucking from someone else's PR.
- CGY's Nat'l OL PEACH or Nat'l OL ERDOS
- OTT's Nat'l OL DESMARAIS
- EDM's Nat'l DT ALEXANDRE or Nat'l DB Hartmann
- BC's Nat'l DL ANTWI or Nat'l DL THORN
- MTL's Nat'l LB/DE TUCK

I am not opposed to see RB WOODSON back am not sure if he will be willing to come back here, plus we dont really utilize our Nat'l RBs much.

I will also look for a good WR out there that can challenge WR KELLY.

Calgary has the following players on their suspended list: 

49 Marshall, Brian FB Non-Import 6.00 210 1991-02-24 Western 61 Circelli, Joe OL Non-Import 6.03 296 1991-03-22 Western 71 Crapigna, Tyler K Non-Import 5.07 166 1992-08-04 McMaster 97 Wiggan, Derek DL Non-Import 6.01 250 1992-07-27 Queen's

Is it safe to assume these guys are going back to school? Can you "hide" guys on the suspended list like teams do with the IR?

Calgary has the following players on their suspended list: 

49 Marshall, Brian FB Non-Import 6.00 210 1991-02-24 Western 61 Circelli, Joe OL Non-Import 6.03 296 1991-03-22 Western 71 Crapigna, Tyler K Non-Import 5.07 166 1992-08-04 McMaster 97 Wiggan, Derek DL Non-Import 6.01 250 1992-07-27 Queen's

Is it safe to assume these guys are going back to school? Can you "hide" guys on the suspended list like teams do with the IR?

Basically these guys could force Calgary to activate them and remove them from the suspended list by "reporting" - So they are choosing to be allowed to be hidden like this.

However it does mean that other clubs can't talk to them

It's kind of an unwritten rule in the CFL that you don't pluck first year Canadians off a practice roster.

Is what you're saying that for this reason, you don't expect Walters to make a play for Peach?  I'm assuming he's a first year guy.

He is actually second year player.... that's the first thing I looked up after reading Mike's post   ;)

Peach is a second year player, I'd say he's fair game. I'll be really surprised if nobody puts in a claim.

Victim of the absolute glut of national OL's Calgary has then.  Speaks to how highly they valued Lavertu that they'd deal with Ottawa to take him, leaving vulnerable a guy like Peach that we and probably a couple of other teams are salivating over.

The thing with Peach, and I'd definitely like to see Walters go after him is that no GM likes it when another GM takes a player off their PR.  Sure it can be done, but it can created strained relationships.  Walters is a new GM and he needs to maintain good relationships with all GMs, which it appears so far he has done.  I'm sure this is also going to factor into Walters thought process when considering what to do with Peach.  Might be a better move to offer up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for Peach instead. 

And remember, if we take Peach, the player has to agree to come to Winnipeg, and then we need to find a spot on our roster for him, which means someone else comes off.  Stamps can do the same if they want to keep Peach, just add him to their roster. 

The thing with Peach, and I'd definitely like to see Walters go after him is that no GM likes it when another GM takes a player off their PR.  Sure it can be done, but it can created strained relationships.  Walters is a new GM and he needs to maintain good relationships with all GMs, which it appears so far he has done.  I'm sure this is also going to factor into Walters thought process when considering what to do with Peach.  Might be a better move to offer up a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for Peach instead. 

And remember, if we take Peach, the player has to agree to come to Winnipeg, and then we need to find a spot on our roster for him, which means someone else comes off.  Stamps can do the same if they want to keep Peach, just add him to their roster. 

Roster spot is probably the least of our concerns. We're likely going to have 2 import OL on the 46 this week, so we could easily just take one of them off.

Roster spot is probably the least of our concerns. We're likely going to have 2 import OL on the 46 this week, so we could easily just take one of them off.

But I think gbill hit on a salient point, the player has to agree to come here (or go to another team as well) .. and let's face it .. Winnipeg isn't the most attractive location league wide at the moment .. yes .. there are some positive things going on but .. when you are part of a perenial contender like Calgary .. Winnipeg is a hard sell.

As for managing relationships amongst member teams .. it's a business .. and I wouldn't be in the business of offering up assets for a player I could potentially get for "free".

But I think gbill hit on a salient point, the player has to agree to come here (or go to another team as well) .. and let's face it .. Winnipeg isn't the most attractive location league wide at the moment .. yes .. there are some positive things going on but .. when you are part of a perenial contender like Calgary .. Winnipeg is a hard sell.

As for managing relationships amongst member teams .. it's a business .. and I wouldn't be in the business of offering up assets for a player I could potentially get for "free".

It's a very good point but at the same time ... if you're a young OL, I'm selling you on three things in Winnipeg - game cheque, brand new facility, Bob Wylie.

It's a very good point but at the same time ... if you're a young OL, I'm selling you on three things in Winnipeg - game cheque, brand new facility, Bob Wylie.

Not disagreeing with you .. but I do feel a lot of people look at a PR and think it's as simple as plucking a guy off it and raise hell when we don't (or appear not to) make a play for a guy .. there is a song and dance and ultimately the player decides his worth .. (and what's in his best interest) ..

I'll add a 4th: Playing time.  There's 6-7 guys ahead of him on Cowtown for 4 starting spots.  In Winnipeg, he's likely going to slot in immediately as a 4th national OL behind Greaves, Neufeld, and Morley.  Best case scenario for us is that if he is game ready mid-way through the year, we could be starting 4 nationals on the OL.  Import T, Greaves, Goossen, Peach, and Neufeld.  Morley and Swiston rostered to back up.

Best case for him:  Neufeld and Morley aren't necessarily locked in for the year.  That's big-time opportunity that he'll only find in Calgary if the injury bug hits multiple guys.

Missing 12 pages of posts makes for a lot of catchup reading:

- We desperately need a NI who can rotate with Thomas.  That has to be the top priority.  Finding uber-talented NIs at other positions is unlikely.  Finding someone of equal talent to Thomas is very doable.  Do it.

- To a lesser extent we also need a NI backup receiver.  Of the players cut loose we're obviously most familiar with Etienne.  I'd bring him back if he's the best one out there, but I'm not really the best judge of how good guys like Morin-Plante, Bamba, Sisco, etc have been so far in their CFL careers.  Sisco I've seen more of than the other guys, I'd have Etienne ahead of him for sure.

-  All other positions are of course NI desirable as well.

- Lots of talent shook loose this year.  I think we could easily put together another team that is a QB away from being able to beat Ottawa.

- Every Marcel Desjardins comment made me laugh.

- Mike Kelly was a boob(scratch that, I like those) an onion (I really hate onions).  Here are the list of "bad players" from the Kelly era:  Armstrong, Bryant, Simpson, Bates, Franklin, Brown (?) help me out here, there is at least one more.  In short, all aspersions cast upon players on our roster in 2009 are null and void in my books.  That colostomy bag of a coach bad-mouthed people every chance he had.  Ten years of service to this club and what does Taman get on the way out?  Insults.  He was a ****** of the highest order.  When guys like Bobby Dyce and Richard Harris - two of the nicest people in the CFL -  are getting squeezed out as being impossible to work with, that really says it all.

- Peach, Etienne and Alexandre would be very nice additions.

It's kind of an unwritten rule in the CFL that you don't pluck first year Canadians off a practice roster.

It's such a small league, if all teams agree on a practice any "unwritten rules" should be quickly turned into "written rules".  Avoids confusion and misunderstandings.

Not only that, teams should be afforded protections over recent draft picks no matter where they go.  Back to school for a year, whatever.

If Etienne was cut I would definitely be picking him up as a backup NI receiver.

SSK has some pretty damn good NI receivers... I don't think it shows so terribly on him that he was cut (especially considering they essentially got him for free)

We don't have any vacant on the PR right now. I guess we could pick him up shortly after the game 1 if we got some injuries .