Deal done!

Why would anyone want to be President of a neutered & totally useless union. Guys making fifty grand, no leverage as the players are broke. Ownership knows that so they show little respect. What a thankless job. Now, having said that, Flory promised the players the moon. Trouble is, the rocket is still on Pad 19 at Cape Canaveral.

Yep - it's useless because the league isn't really a major league. It's not the 'final destination' and 90% of players are not here for the long term. They just want to play and hone their skills for the NFL. Striking won't accomplish that. 

Guess what though, you live in Canada. The CFL is indeed the major leagues here in Canada.

I'm not sure how people fail to understand that Canada is not part of the USA.

Why is the CFL not major league? because why? your reasons are flawed, 90 percent of NFL players dont last long either.

What makes the CFL not the major leagues in the country you live in? 

The fact that Canada has like 300 ++ million less people than the USA does? 

In Canada, the CFL is as big as it gets, therefore it's a major league, just cuz its not on the same level as the NFL doesn't mean it isn't.

The NFL should change its name to the AFL because  basically its the american football league. You get it now? in Canada we got the Canadian football league.

It isn't major league because of salaries. Most guys need an off season job to pay the bills. Until the CFL becomes rich enough to pay players what they're worth so they don't have to work another job then it will never be a major league. But I still love it. I follow it  more closely than the NHL. It is unique & it belongs to Canada so it's ours. But it isn't major league. Mom & Pop in every way with one guy owning two teams calling the shots. 

Why would anyone want to be President of a neutered & totally useless union. Guys making fifty grand, no leverage as the players are broke. Ownership knows that so they show little respect. What a thankless job. Now, having said that, Flory promised the players the moon. Trouble is, the rocket is still on Pad 19 at Cape Canaveral.

Yep - it's useless because the league isn't really a major league. It's not the 'final destination' and 90% of players are not here for the long term. They just want to play and hone their skills for the NFL. Striking won't accomplish that. 

Guess what though, you live in Canada. The CFL is indeed the major leagues here in Canada.

Why is the CFL not major league? because why? your reasons are flawed, 90 percent of NFL players dont last long either.

In Canada, the CFL is as big as it gets, therefore it's a major league, just cuz its not on the same level as the NFL doesn't mean it isn't.

The NFL should change its name to the AFL because  basically its the american football league. You get it now? in Canada we got the Canadian football league.

As much as you may want to think that, the CFL is most definitely a 2nd tier league. Name me one American player who dreams of playing in the CFL. Hell, name me one Canadian player who would pick the CFL over the NFL. It's the best we have in Canada and I love it, but in no way is the the #1 football league. The major leagues are where the best players go and they don't go to the CFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_professional_sports_teams_of_the_United_States_and_Canada

Yup, it's wikipedia but...

The CFL is considered one of the 6 major league sports leagues in north america

along with

MLB, NHL,NFL,NBA AND MLS

IF MLS is major leagues, then so is the CFL. 

Oh, for the record, you can't and will not change my opinion or mind on this so probably shouldn't bother trying too.

When did Canada become the 51st state though is what i wonder.

As much as you may want to think that, the CFL is most definitely a 2nd tier league. Name me one American player who dreams of playing in the CFL. Hell, name me one Canadian player who would pick the CFL over the NFL. It's the best we have in Canada and I love it, but in no way is the the #1 football league. The major leagues are where the best players go and they don't go to the CFL.

Well said, bang on, on all points.

do minor leagues get a 45 million/yr  tv contract? do they get 20 30 40 even 50,000 people out to watch games?

do they get huge ratings on tv like the CFL does? 

It's not as night and day as some of you are making it out to be.

OMG - I love the CFL. It's not major league because if you look at the revenues that the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL generate you'd see it not even close. In fact, MLS has much higher revenues' than the CFL. The players that come here, including our own (like Henoc Muamba - ever hear of him?) are willing to do 'anything' for a shot at the NFL - the 'big leagues'. Why is the CFL not a 'major league'? REVENUE! 

You gotta face facts my friend. Me, I grew up on the CFL and I love the game. But by no means have I ever considered the CFL major league. I don't fool myself that way. If it were, we'd have a lock out / strike guaranteed. Don't be so sensitive. 

Compared to the juggernaut that is the NFL not much is major league. Cfl is the second best football league in NA. Nothing wrong with that and it's a silly deBate.

Yes it's a silly debate. The CFL is what the CFL is. My biggest fear though, still, is Toronto getting an NFL team. If that ever comes to pass, in a few years, you can kiss that big TV contract goodbye. 

Compared to the juggernaut that is the NFL not much is major league. Cfl is the second best football league in NA. Nothing wrong with that and it's a silly deBate.

Yes it's a silly debate. The CFL is what the CFL is. My biggest fear though, still, is Toronto getting an NFL team. If that ever comes to pass, in a few years, you can kiss that big TV contract goodbye. 

Why would that be?  Arent ratings for the CFL higher in places like Sk than Toronto?  And in Canada, rating for the CFl are higher than ratings for the NFL.  Certainly, losing the largest TV market would be a negative and probably impact the TSN TV deal, but Im not sure it would kill the CFL.  The NFL also seems to be very responsible on this issue, insisting that any owner of a Toronto NFL team also own the CFL team to ensure it's continued survival.

Why would that be?  Arent ratings for the CFL higher in places like Sk than Toronto?  And in Canada, rating for the CFl are higher than ratings for the NFL.  Certainly, losing the largest TV market would be a negative and probably impact the TSN TV deal, but Im not sure it would kill the CFL.  The NFL also seems to be very responsible on this issue, insisting that any owner of a Toronto NFL team also own the CFL team to ensure it's continued survival.

An NFL team in Toronto would be a hard blow for the CFL.  The reason the TV deal is so high is that TSN thinks they can recoup their investment via advertising dollars.  Most corporations, not all, but most try and link their brand to one major advertising push at a time.  Some will stay with the CFL.  Some will try and hitch their wagon to the NFL.  Few will do both.

In terms of overall dollars the NFL would have a minimal affect on gate revenue.  The big blows would come in TV and sponsorship revenue.  Many of the corporations branding with the CFL are Ontario based.

The CFL wouldn't shut down just because a NFL team moves in to the dome.  It would definitely big a noticeable blow though.

ps - the Bills aren't moving to Toronto.  Toronto might want a team; Toronto doesn't always get what it wants.  see: Cups, Stanley.

@TSNScianitti: Returned from #Ticats practice, hearing #CFLPA execs are travelling to select #CFL cities not to convince but "open dialogue" with players

@Foley4Real: @TSNScianitti Just wasting more of our Union Dues...Ain't nobody in Saskatchewan wanna see them, hope they bring their own security.

@Foley4Real: I am voting YES to accept the deal & NOT strike...cause we've been backed in2 a corner & I have no confidence in our execs or legal counsel

Just curious

Pete Dyakowski is the ticat player rep

January is ours

Im assuming foley is sasks? how come the other player reps are way more professional and classy than ricky foley?

Although foley has never been accused of being classy and professional has he.

or is labatte sasks rep? 

Just curious

January is ours

Im assuming foley is sasks? how come the other player reps are way more professional and classy than ricky foley?

Mike McCullough and Labatte

Just curious

January is ours

Mike McCullough and Labatte

oh. interesting, he's been rather quiet actually. judging from some tweets by foley, i was certain he was. has mcCullough done a good job explaining it to foley and his team mates? cuz foley seems to think they are gaining nothing, completely ignoring the 600,000 plus increase in the cap. 

guess gbill was right and players were just blowing off some steam.

Some of these guys should be careful what they say though, seen it in other sports where if you are too  pro union, you kind of get blacklisted.

the name ron hainsey comes to mind. 

@JeffHecht24: You hire a bunch of clowns and you are probably going to get a circus.

@HerbZurkowsky1: Josh Bourke on Jeff Hecht tweet: "That was 100 inappropriate. I think that was a classless move on his part."

Google Jeff Hecht and check his picture.  Then ask who the clown is.  LOL.

@JeffHecht24: You hire a bunch of clowns and you are probably going to get a circus.

@HerbZurkowsky1: Josh Bourke on Jeff Hecht tweet: "That was 100 inappropriate. I think that was a classless move on his part."

Google Jeff Hecht and check his picture.  Then ask who the clown is.  LOL.

crop_19509592307.jpg

His hair looks like it's trying to run away from his head.