The TV Thread

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

any Lasso fans here? This week's episode, IMHO, is arguably the best in the entire series so far. Two weeks ago, after watching the Succession ep that we've all been waiting for, I said "this is the best episode of TV I've ever seen in my life", and after watching this week's Lasso I said "I've never enjoyed an episode of TV as much as I have this one"..... we're really in a golden age of prestige TV. 

And then there's people watching ******* reality shows........

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Absolutely fantastic!!!

7 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Singin': "Don't worry 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Singin': "Don't worry (don't worry) 'bout a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

Absolutely fantastic!!!

From writing to acting.... One of the best episodes of TV I've ever watched. To have had this and the recent Succession ep within weeks of each other... My goodness we are blessed. 

Also great: the first two eps of Barry final season. NoHo Hank is a gift to us all. 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

From writing to acting.... One of the best episodes of TV I've ever watched. To have had this and the recent Succession ep within weeks of each other... My goodness we are blessed. 

Also great: the first two eps of Barry final season. NoHo Hank is a gift to us all. 

I've been disappointed with Ted Lasso (extremely high expectations) since season 2, but there is always something really good in each episode.  Last night's ep was definitely the best of the last 2 seasons.

Nothing touches Barry as far as pure craftsmanship goes IMHO, but I admit to not getting into Succession yet.  RezDogs is still my favorite show of the last few years, and yes - there are so many high-end options (Bad Sisters, Yellowjackets, Fargo, Derry Girls, Better Call Saul etc etc) available that I haven't even looked at a network offering in years.

3 hours ago, Wideleft said:

I've been disappointed with Ted Lasso (extremely high expectations) since season 2, but there is always something really good in each episode.  Last night's ep was definitely the best of the last 2 seasons.

Nothing touches Barry as far as pure craftsmanship goes IMHO, but I admit to not getting into Succession yet.  RezDogs is still my favorite show of the last few years, and yes - there are so many high-end options (Bad Sisters, Yellowjackets, Fargo, Derry Girls, Better Call Saul etc etc) available that I haven't even looked at a network offering in years.

wife and I still have network shows.... all 3 Law and Order's, Young Sheldon, Young Rock, Son of a Critch.... but those are far outweighed by the streaming shows we watch. Once the technology catches up, and I'm able to record/save live sports without a set-top-box PVR, we'll likely ditch "cable". But I need to be able to record and save Bombers games for review during the off season. That's my sole reason for having cable at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

wife and I still have network shows.... all 3 Law and Order's, Young Sheldon, Young Rock, Son of a Critch.... but those are far outweighed by the streaming shows we watch. Once the technology catches up, and I'm able to record/save live sports without a set-top-box PVR, we'll likely ditch "cable". But I need to be able to record and save Bombers games for review during the off season. That's my sole reason for having cable at this point. 

Just switched to Shaw which uses the cloud to store recordings.  They claim no limit, but I find that hard to believe.  No idea how the Roger's takeover will effect all that.

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Just switched to Shaw which uses the cloud to store recordings.  They claim no limit, but I find that hard to believe.  No idea how the Roger's takeover will effect all that.

Yeah, my local "fibre to the premises" company here in AB (one of the only local ones in Canada) is getting all new hardware and is trying to ween people off set-top boxes and strictly use their app and stream it to the TV, which is fine for streaming shows or live sports, but I'm not sure how it'll work for saving things to the cloud (which their set-top boxes do)... hoping to find out more on that soon. If that's possible, then we may be getting somewhere...

20 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

The 6th and final season of Snowfall just wrapped up this week, not often mentioned but has to rank in the top 10 of all long term series IMO.  Highly recommend binge watching based on the 80's  L.A. crack epidemic with ties to the CIA and Iran-Contra drugs for weapons fiasco.

Have heard good things about it.  Thanks - will put it on my ever-growing list.

On 4/9/2023 at 11:27 AM, Super Duper Negatron said:

Highly recommend Beef on Netflix.

Finished this last night, still trying to wrap my head around all that I saw. Incredibly well written, directed and acted just having a hard time with the story as a whole. To think of how it started to how it finished is a little mind blowing, absolute kudos for telling this story as a Korean/Asian societal series not many would be brave enough to do that but it works so well. Will likely download it and watch it again the next time I travel, I am sure there are things that I missed that would have made it better. As it is I replayed the last scene of episode 9 several times while my wife and I argued about what we saw.

8 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

Finished this last night, still trying to wrap my head around all that I saw. Incredibly well written, directed and acted just having a hard time with the story as a whole. To think of how it started to how it finished is a little mind blowing, absolute kudos for telling this story as a Korean/Asian societal series not many would be brave enough to do that but it works so well. Will likely download it and watch it again the next time I travel, I am sure there are things that I missed that would have made it better. As it is I replayed the last scene of episode 9 several times while my wife and I argued about what we saw.

I have replayed the last scene of the series a ton. The choice of song (deliberately I am sure) got me right in the feels. That whole last episode was incredible.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

10 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Not sure I see Tucker leaving Fox news as "actions have consequences". No doubt he will be just as, if not more, successful touring the country spreading his own specific brand of idiocy.

The only thing that gives me hope is that Bill O'Reilly and Megyn Kelly have really lost the spotlight after leaving Fox.  

'Suddenly silent' Tucker Carlson lawyers up: report

Tucker Carlson, after parting ways with Fox News Monday morning, has reportedly retained a powerful and “aggressive” entertainment attorney, which could mean the right-wing cable channel might be facing yet another lawsuit, or at least a likely legal battle.

A Fox News statement said, “FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways,” but reports throughout the day have increasingly described the breakup not as a resignation, nor as a mutually agreed split, but as a firing, although that has not been confirmed.
Carlson, who promoted conspiracy theories and lies, racist, sexist, anti-LGBTQ, white nationalist, and Christian nationalist views, and falsehoods about the January 6 insurrection, was the networks’s top star.

Brian Stelter, the former CNN media reporter, tweeted that Carlson has “retained the famously aggressive entertainment lawyer Bryan Freedman.” (He also notes now-former CNN anchor Don Lemon has also retained the same lawyer.)