Main Camp Day 1 (Reports and Discussion)

also gotta keep in mind, smith,brescanin,the rifles receiver and briggs were all at rookie camp so this isn't their first time out on the field either.

Sometimes, injuries just happen. It's day one of main camp, probably better to be safe than sorry, noone has been carted off tho right? so maybe they are just being cautious a bit with a few of them.

no vets have been injured, just the guys who already had 3 practices already.

if Swiston's injured already, his career is pretty much done.  bummer.

really hoping Neufeld grabs that RT job.

My guess is Swiston didn't pass his physical as he was on the sidelines both practices today (I was at both). No idea what the injury/issue is.

if Swiston's injured already, his career is pretty much done.  bummer.

lol wut? It's the first bloody day of Training Camp.

he's been injured for three years now...  hard to win a spot standing on the sidelines

@PentonKirk: Bob Wylie is not at camp because he's away at a coaching clinic. He'll be gone a few days at a time throughout the season. #Bombers

@PentonKirk: Paul Charbonneau, a Wylie protege, is the #Bombers assistant offensive line coach and will run things when Wylie is away.

In terms of punting, Hajrullahu and Renaud look even in terms of distance. Both consistently around 60 yards. My early prediction is Renaud is our punter and Hajrullahu is our PK this season. Maher hasn't stood out enough to me to warrant using an import spot.

I was at rookie camp (day 2) and both sessions today and Hajarulahu looked awful both days.  I mean awful, wide-right more often than not.

In terms of punting, Hajrullahu and Renaud look even in terms of distance. Both consistently around 60 yards. My early prediction is Renaud is our punter and Hajrullahu is our PK this season. Maher hasn't stood out enough to me to warrant using an import spot.

I was at rookie camp (day 2) and both sessions today and Hajarulahu looked awful both days. I mean awful, wide-right more often than not.

Today I was specifically commenting on punting, not FGs. I agree that Hajarulahu has had difficulty with FGs beyond 40 yards to date.

Penton seems to agree with me re punting today:

@PentonKirk: The #Bombers kicking battle looks like it's going to be a good one. All three hoofing them pretty good today.

Did Wylie tell O'Shea and the GM kid the Bombers would come second to his 'clinics' this year?

no he bs'd them cuz bob wylie is an unprofessional ass. Ofcourse they knew. Geez man.

Bob Irving confirms the obviousness

O-line coach bob Wylie of bombers has unique deal--he can leave for a few days at a time to conduct coaching clinics--okayed by mike O'Shea

again Iriving quote off the twitter feed to the right...

Bomber o-line coach bob Wylie so highly regarded he's allowed to take days away to conduct previously arranged coaching clinics

I was at rookie camp (day 2) and both sessions today and Hajarulahu looked awful both days. I mean awful, wide-right more often than not.

Today I was specifically commenting on punting, not FGs. I agree that Hajarulahu has had difficulty with FGs beyond 40 yards to date.

Penton seems to agree with me re punting today:

@PentonKirk: The #Bombers kicking battle looks like it's going to be a good one. All three hoofing them pretty good today.

Yeah I was definitely pulling for the Canuck in the FG battle.  You can't have an import only do one of the two, and you can't have any kicker not placekick well.

Just out of nothing but curiosity but for the folks that were actually there in person...

Which media guys were there, i know irving penton and i'm pretty sure tait was there.. darren bauming also (who is actually a pretty darn good media person)

Anyone else tho? friesen specifically? not that i overly care but... just curious is all.

I didn't notice any of the usual journalists, but I wasn't in the thick of the crowd.

When you see Aaron Kelly practice it becomes easier to understand why the coaches are keeping him around. He looked smooth in the one on ones and went up a couple times to make some tougher catches. I can also see why people have been excited about Mario Urrutia. He's got a large frame and some speed to go along with it. I didn't see him drop anything. Watson looks like a stud... if he can put together a full season I could easily see him being a 1000yd receiver, but we've been saying that for a couple years now... Taylor Renaud was making the most of it. Aaron Woods is still quick and shifty, I'm pumped to see him back for another go of it.

Hall and Willy both looked sharp, with the edge going to Willy; he really does put some zip on his throws, and he seemed to be getting them off quickly enough. Brohm was underwhelming and often inaccurate from what I could tell, and I didn't get to see Marvelous do anything special but at least his throws were on target. My first impression is that Hall is in no real danger of losing his #2 spot at this point.

I showed up for the 11:05 session.... I was kinda trying to watch a little of everything so I didn't pick up on too much specifically.... The crowd was pretty thin.... I recall much bigger numbers in previous years....

a few observations:

-Drew Willy looks strong and accurate

-Jordan Yantz can throw as well as anyone, didn't look too out of place

-A lot of big, athletic D-linemen should hopefully make life tough for opposing QBs

-Turner, Anderson, Vega look great. I believe I saw Ryan Lucas in street clothes not practicing, but there's been no injury reports that I know of

-Aaron Kelly looked to be running nice routes and catching everything

-Bucknor looks like he belongs in the secondary (from only seeing him in a couple plays)

Overall pretty positive...which is the usual for the first day of TC... probably just the euphoria of being around football again!

Oh, and I agree with MOBomber Fan about Max Hall.... he looked good, definitely coming out strong as the back up or even pushing Willy

I'm interested to see what Hall can do this year. He was improving as the year went on.