Bomber Drafting Trends

Rids

Over the last 5 years the Blue Bombers have had an average of 5 draft picks per year. Now that is a little slanted as this is the second year of a return to 7 Rounds but that's where they've been in the past.

2014 they currently have 6 picks. 

Draft Yield on Average:

WR - 1

DL - 1

OL - 1

LB - 1

RB - 1

Sixth pick based on percentages:

DB/K - 1

In the past 5 years they have selected 1 DB and 1 K so it's a toss up.

Of course this being the first year of the new front office you can likely take the old stats and toss them out the window but these are the numbers as they sit.  

I don't follow, Rids. What exactly are you saying here? I'd like to know how many drafted players actually played & got on the field as Bomber starters, backups & special teamers. How many of  our draft picks are still with us & if gone where they are now, are they starting elsewhere & what we got for them.... 

25 selections in the past 5 years. 

8 currently on the Bombers roster - 32%

2 traded to other CFL teams - 8%

3 in the NFL - 12%

2 signed with another CFL team - 8%

Total still in CFL - 48% (which is high for a 5 year average) 

Total still in football - 60% 

25 selections in the past 5 years.

8 currently on the Bombers roster - 32%

2 traded to other CFL teams - 8%

3 in the NFL - 12%

2 signed with another CFL team - 8%

Total still in CFL - 48% (which is high for a 5 year average)

Total still in football - 60%

How does that compare to other CFL teams?

Ok here's some numbers.

In the past 5 years there have been 250 players drafted in the Canadian College Draft. 

Of those 250 there are 148 still in football (59.2%). Keeping in mind that we are still in the extended roster time so that number will drop down a bunch in 2 months. 

Those 148 still in football the break down is 135 in the CFL and 13 in the NFL (or up for the NFL Draft - Bo Lokombo, Brent Urban, Jesse Joseph for example)

Those 135 break down to 87 on the roster of the team that drafted them and 48 moved on to other teams. That number includes individuals that left the team that drafted them and then re-joined. 

Winnipeg sits pretty much right in the middle of the CFL for percentage of drafted players still with the team (32%). 

Still with Draft Team:

Saskatchewan - 50.0%

Calgary - 44.7%

Montreal - 33.3%

Hamilton - 32.4%

Winnipeg - 32.0%

Edmonton - 30.8%

Toronto - 26.5%

BC - 25.8%

Here's how it breaks down for players draft still in football (regardless of what team):

Saskatchewan - 72.7%

Calgary - 68.4%

BC - 61.3%

Winnipeg - 60.0%

Hamilton - 58.8%

Edmonton - 57.7%

Montreal - 50.0%

Toronto - 47.1%

BC doesn't retain a lot but the guys they draft are all over the League. They are the only team with more players on the other 8 teams in the CFL than on their roster. 

Here's how it breaks down for players draft still in football (regardless of what team):

Saskatchewan - 72.7%

Calgary - 68.4%

BC - 61.3%

Winnipeg - 60.0%

Hamilton - 58.8%

Edmonton - 57.7%

Montreal - 50.0%

Toronto - 47.1%

BC doesn't retain a lot but the guys they draft are all over the League. They are the only team with more players on the other 8 teams in the CFL than on their roster. 

Ok here's some numbers.

In the past 5 years there have been 250 players drafted in the Canadian College Draft. 

Of those 250 there are 148 still in football (59.2%). Keeping in mind that we are still in the extended roster time so that number will drop down a bunch in 2 months. 

Those 148 still in football the break down is 135 in the CFL and 13 in the NFL (or up for the NFL Draft - Bo Lokombo, Brent Urban, Jesse Joseph for example)

Those 135 break down to 87 on the roster of the team that drafted them and 48 moved on to other teams. That number includes individuals that left the team that drafted them and then re-joined. 

Winnipeg sits pretty much right in the middle of the CFL for percentage of drafted players still with the team (32%). 

Still with Draft Team:

Saskatchewan - 50.0%

Calgary - 44.7%

Montreal - 33.3%

Hamilton - 32.4%

Winnipeg - 32.0%

Edmonton - 30.8%

Toronto - 26.5%

BC - 25.8%

Having a lower percentage doesn't necessarily mean your team lacks in overall draft success. As one of your findings show, some of these players who pan out ended up playing for other teams/leagues (or other reasons of not playing with your team that had nothing to do with talent) which can be a separate issue other than pure draft ability/success. My educated guess would tell me BC would be a good example of this, no? Or is my line of thinking flawed which has happened before and will happen again :)  

Saskatchewan - 72.7%

Calgary - 68.4%

BC - 61.3%

Winnipeg - 60.0%

Hamilton - 58.8%

Edmonton - 57.7%

Montreal - 50.0%

Toronto - 47.1%

Ok here's some numbers.

Still with Draft Team:

Saskatchewan - 50.0%

Calgary - 44.7%

Montreal - 33.3%

Hamilton - 32.4%

Winnipeg - 32.0%

Edmonton - 30.8%

Toronto - 26.5%

BC - 25.8%

Having a lower percentage doesn't necessarily mean your team lacks in overall draft success. As one of your findings show, some of these players who pan out ended up playing for other teams/leagues (or other reasons of not playing with your team that had nothing to do with talent) which can be a separate issue other than pure draft ability/success. My educated guess would tell me BC would be a good example of this, no? Or is my line of thinking flawed which has happened before and will happen again :)  

I agree.  There are too many variables to just look at the percentage and say good or bad.

IMO, we'd be closer to the bottom overall than that might indicate.  We used a 2011 1st on Etienne, 2012 1st on Poblah, who did very little for us and won't do anything for us in the future.  Having Swiston, Stephan, Volny, Thomas, Greaves and Pencer still on our roster doesn't really indicate a good draft history.

No it's true that the percentages are just a piece of the pie. Eventually I'll have everything up to date regarding player production.

Part of that delay is sorting out a cut off point (1 year, 2 years, 3 years or career?). Do you only take into account drafts conducted by the current staff? 

Ultimately there are going to be differing ideas of what draft success looks like. 

The bottom line is that numbers like this are just numbers, it's how they get interpreted and whether that interpretation is correct or not that matter the most. I would suggest that what these numbers show is that the Bombers drafting history is on par with the other teams in the CFL. 

I wonder what the percentage is for the joe mack tenure, Everyone seems to think his drafting sucked... but i wonder if you just took the last 3 years and did percentages, where the bombers would rank overall

I'll bet its probably closer to the top.

5 years means we are looking at mack kelly and 1 year of taman no?

Remove kelly and taman and see what happens. 

Interesting info.  Thanks Rids.

'In the CFL' isn't a very good indication of how good the draft pick is.  What's the % of starters from each teams drafts?  For example: Swiston, Pencer, Jade and Kito all show as in the CFL, but none are starters.