Bombers Reject Rabb for Board of Directors

Nasty Nate

According to several sources Bauer had a pre-existing offer from Ted Hellard in Calgary. When Mike Kelly appeared on a police blotter in pennsylvania the board had an emergency meeting which resulted in Kelly being fired (or relieved of duties as they say). Reports say Bauer refused to fire his buddy Kelly himself.

Knowing that this was an act of defiance against the board Bauer triggered the offer from Calgary and ran out of the bomber offices like a scalded dog.

If Bauer didn't have that offer I suspect his actions might have been different. He would have faced pure unemployment so he might have abided by the board's decision to fire Kelly. 

To me, the simple fact he brought Kelly back into the program was a firing offense.

According to several sources Bauer had a pre-existing offer from Ted Hellard in Calgary. When Mike Kelly appeared on a police blotter in pennsylvania the board had an emergency meeting which resulted in Kelly being fired (or relieved of duties as they say). Reports say Bauer refused to fire his buddy Kelly himself.

Knowing that this was an act of defiance against the board Bauer triggered the offer from Calgary and ran out of the bomber offices like a scalded dog.

If Bauer didn't have that offer I suspect his actions might have been different. He would have faced pure unemployment so he might have abided by the board's decision to fire Kelly. 

To me, the simple fact he brought Kelly back into the program was a firing offense.

Another attempt to re-write history. Kelly wasn't arrested until after the press conference where Bauer announced he had resigned. 

The day started out ominously for Kelly as Bauer, his greatest champion, informed club staff via conference call that he was resigning. Kelly participated in the conference call but was detained by police just an hour later.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Bomber-coach-Kelly-charged-with-assault-79557357.html

And there had been rumours for weeks that Bauer was going to resign and go to Calgary:

The pending resignation has been rumoured for weeks now, with rampant speculation that Bauer will join the Calgary Stampeders organization.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bombers-president-bauer-resigns-1.823329

Another attempt to re-write history. Kelly wasn't arrested until after the press conference where Bauer announced he had resigned. 

The day started out ominously for Kelly as Bauer, his greatest champion, informed club staff via conference call that he was resigning. Kelly participated in the conference call but was detained by police just an hour later.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Bomber-coach-Kelly-charged-with-assault-79557357.html

And there had been rumours for weeks that Bauer was going to resign and go to Calgary:

The pending resignation has been rumoured for weeks now, with rampant speculation that Bauer will join the Calgary Stampeders organization.

By that time everyone had been given a heads up.

By that time everyone had been given a heads up.

"Given a head's up" to what? Kelly was arrested AFTER Bauer announced he was resigning. Bauer's resignation was effective the day it was announced. 

Jacquie, I've lived in Calgary for nearly 25 years. I follow the Stamps quite closely here & there were no rumours that Bauer was coming to the Stamps before he resigned. Maybe the CBC in Winnipeg felt that there was rampant speculation he was going to the Stamps but out here there were no stories. Besides, he didn't leave the Bombers & go right to Calgary. He was hired weeks or even months later as I recall. If he had a job with the Stamps to go to he didn't do it right away. If there were stories in the Calgary media BEFORE he resigned, I don't recall them. 

Most Stamps fans & especially the ones at the old Go Stamps Go (now CFL Horseman) site were very concerned that Bauer would gain control of the team from Huff had Hellard stayed as owner. Stamps fans at that time couldn't understand Bauer's hiring given all that happened in Winnipeg under his tenure.... The firing of Ritchie, Daly, Berry & the hiring of Kelly, the subsequent firing of Kelly by the Bomber board & Bauer's sudden departure from the Bombers all in one day. It was not a popular hire here in Calgary. There was a real concern that if Bauer ever got control of the entire team like he had in Winnipeg, he'd run the Stamps into the ground. Especially  the comment  he made after he joined the Stamps that he believed in Mike Kelly & would hire him again if he had the chance. Luckily, he stayed on the business side as we thought eventually there'd be a power struggle between Huff & Bauer. I think a lot of fans heaved blew a sigh of relief when Bauer left the Stampeders organization.

Personally, I hope he never gets any kind of control with the Bombers again. Others may feel differently but I think it's best he stay away.

Bauer had no previous deal or offer in place prior to resigning from the Bombers. Huff and Bauer had and have an excellent relationship going back to their playing days in Winnipeg. Huff and Bauer remain in contact with each other. My source.....Bauer.

Bauer had no previous deal or offer in place prior to resigning from the Bombers. Huff and Bauer had and have an excellent relationship going back to their playing days in Winnipeg. Huff and Bauer remain in contact with each other. My source.....Bauer.

From the media stories in Calgary at the time of Bauer's resignation, when the Flames bought the Stamps they wanted a Team President who answered to Flames President Ken King. Bauer did not like that arrangement so he walked as he wanted total autonomy. I don't know if he left the Flames organization on good terms but from all accounts Lyle wasn't very happy. 

Jacquie, I've lived in Calgary for nearly 25 years. I follow the Stamps quite closely here & there were no rumours that Bauer was coming to the Stamps before he resigned.

Written by Ed Tait in the FP in the November 21, 2009 edition:

There may be smoke, but Lyle Bauer insists there's no fire to one of the hottest rumours circulating through the CFL -- that he is leaving the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after a decade of service.

The Bombers president and CEO denied Friday the growing speculation that has come with two variations: 1. He was leaving the club for a job in the business world and 2. He was leaving to join the Calgary Stampeders organization.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/is-lyle-leaving-to-join-stampeders-70690087.html

It may have not been reported in Calgary but the rumours were there.

There was nothing in Calgary immediately before or after his resignation. The rumours started a few days before his actual hire. Not anytime before.

You've complained about the media coverage of the Stamps in Calgary so is it surprising they didn't report it but the Winnipeg media did. Ed Tait said there were rumours so you can bet there were rumours.

Nate do your stories happen to come from your brother's friend's uncle's next door neighbor's sister's cousin's ass by any chance?

That.. And it all happens inside his head no less! Theres alot goin on up there..

Kelly was not even charged eventually and yet people STILL say he beat the chick, blah blah blah...

If he truly beat her up like people keep claiming, anger management wouldnt have been his only real punishment..

Juas sayin' villify him for his on field failures but cut the guy some slack, crazy broad cried foul and the justice system managed to put 2 and 2 together..

There was nothing in Calgary immediately before or after his resignation. The rumours started a few days before his actual hire. Not anytime before.

You've complained about the media coverage of the Stamps in Calgary so is it surprising they didn't report it but the Winnipeg media did. Ed Tait said there were rumours so you can bet there were rumours.

Sure Jacquie whatever you say. 

Sure Jacquie whatever you say.
It's not what I say. It's what Ed Tait (one of the all-time great Bomber beat reporters) and every other media outlet in Winnipeg said at time.

And contrary to what you say, it was reported by the Calgary media weeks before Bauer was hired. From the Calgary Herald - Dec 14, 2009:

Speculation has current Winnipeg Blue Bombers president Lyle Bauer possibly moving into the Calgary job but Forzani wouldn't say who he's been talking to.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/sports/football/story.html?id=2338648