Bombers sign WR/KR Austin Coleman (unannounced)

Mike

Looks to be used to getting into the end zone and great at tracking down the ball in the air. Decently fast but doesn't seem to have any Pinball Clemons, Keith Stokes or Gizmo Williams like moves. All the records he has broke seemed to be in returning but he looked like a better CFL receiver then returner.

Sounds promising- at 5'8" and 185 he's not a wisp and can catch to boot. Speed is great but not everything- I can recall one returner the Bombers had in camp in the 70's named Stan Somethingorother. He was 5'6" and 155 and could run like the wind but could not break a grab to save his life and even side winds were a problem.

i'm happy that they signed this guy. im assuming he will take the #2 jersey it's available now.

btw, i thought there's another speedy guy from the saginaw tryout, i believe he is an rb?. did they sign him also?

EDIT: cj tarver. another WR. 

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/03/saginaw_sting_receivers_austin.html

hmmm... i kinda sensing Denmark will figure in the trade for Glenn... :rolleyes:

Hard to judge him as a receiver from that highlight tape.  The average 40 time among skill players at that level is likely in the 4.8's-low 5's, and that's what you basically see in the video, he's just running by everyone, he doesn't have to work hard to get open.  In the CFL he'll be facing equals in terms of athleticism, so he'll need to have some ability to both run solid routes and play in traffic because he won't be running all by himself.

i'm happy that they signed this guy. im assuming he will take the #2 jersey it's available now.

btw, i thought there's another speedy guy from the saginaw tryout, i believe he is an rb?. did they sign him also?

EDIT: cj tarver. another WR. 

http://www.mlive.com/sports/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/03/saginaw_sting_receivers_austin.html

hmmm... i kinda sensing Denmark will figure in the trade for Glenn... :rolleyes:

or the number 4  ...  he looks like a young Arland Bruce in parts of this highlight package, maybe it's just the number  ;)

Hard to judge him as a receiver from that highlight tape.  The average 40 time among skill players at that level is likely in the 4.8's-low 5's, and that's what you basically see in the video, he's just running by everyone, he doesn't have to work hard to get open.  In the CFL he'll be facing equals in terms of athleticism, so he'll need to have some ability to both run solid routes and play in traffic because he won't be running all by himself.

I would have said something along the same lines.  This guy is not competing against players of the same caliber.  He is clearly under-matched in most of those highlights.  Some of those defenders were pretty weak.

This was my concern... almost all of his receiving highlights were just him putting the burners on and running past guys (not a single one where he fought off a jam in particular)

Looks like a guy who might be able to make use of the wider CFL field.  Seems to see the field well, as well as being able to direct blocks/choose lines.  

I don't mind his lack of East-West moves.  I find those kinds of returners haven't done as well lately in Winnipeg as the basic North-South burners who see a line, stay on that line and run really hard.