Trader Taman

Floyd

The Ticats also gave up the #8 pick in addition to Williams and Bartel, for #9 and #11.

i'd prefer that we don't make a trade like that.  The only reason the Ticats did it was that it was likely a salary dump in Williams' case and Bartel became expendable when they signed Medlock.

Taman must have been scrambling around his office and found his old napkin holder. Sounds like he's going back to his old ways when he managed here. Draft pics are something to be looked at as superfluous. Good trade by Ham. though.

The issue Taman had were was trading his picks for imports which he didn't do in this particular trade. He landed two non imports which I suppose from his point of view cancels out the two picks he just gave away. That being said, one of the players just isn't very good, the other is a kicker/punter.

I'm trying to see the benefits of this trade from Taman's point of view, but I'm struggling with the logic.

1st of all, where's the need at this time?

Where's the value in picking up a higher salary in Williams?

Better kicker? Highly debatable.

2 NIs? Yes, but as BFAddict stated, at least Bartel would have been released and probably Shomari also.

2 picks for 1? And isn't that our 2nd pick at 11?

Help me understand this one.

That's a terrible trade for Taman.

Shomari is overpaid heavily and Chamblin views him as somewhat of a replacement for Butler. Strike one.

They gave up something pretty substantial for Bartel, who had no role in Hamilton's future. Strike two.

Dealt two draft picks to move up ONE spot. Strike three.

That's a terrible trade for Taman.

Shomari is overpaid heavily and Chamblin views him as somewhat of a replacement for Butler. Strike one.

They gave up something pretty substantial for Bartel, who had no role in Hamilton's future. Strike two.

Dealt two draft picks to move up ONE spot. Strike three.

Three strikes....does this mean they are out of the CFL?

From a pure football point of view, I say the Riders won this trade.

#9 pick for #8 - Obvious win.

#11 pick for Shomari Williams, a Canadian they can rotate in on defence and great special teamer, and Josh Bartel, a proven Canadian punter, at a spot where they had to use an American last season.  That's a win too, IMO.

And they still have another pick in the second round because that was the pick they got from the Bombers in the Neufeld trade.

You trade for two players that have played in the CFL and you know exactly what you are getting. And you give up the ever popular POTENTIAL. Gee maybe you lost out on another Swiston or Pencer...heaven forbid. Just because some team at one point or another might cut or trade a player doesn't mean they don't fill a need elsewhere. You can't tell me Bartel can't out kick Renaud in his sleep.

#11 pick for Shomari Williams, a Canadian they can rotate in on defence and great special teamer, and Josh Bartel, a proven Canadian punter, at a spot where they had to use an American last season.  That's a win too, IMO.

And they still have another pick in the second round because that was the pick they got from the Bombers in the Neufeld trade.

They didn't HAVE to use an American, they used Schmitt because he was the best punter in the league last year. Bartel isn't far off, but Schmitt is better.

They didn't HAVE to use an American, they used Schmitt because he was the best punter in the league last year. Bartel isn't far off, but Schmitt is better.

Bartel is a very, very good directional punter. As a non import it'll change the ratio slightly so I can understand trading for him. The other parts of this trade I don't get. 

#11 pick for Shomari Williams, a Canadian they can rotate in on defence and great special teamer, and Josh Bartel, a proven Canadian punter, at a spot where they had to use an American last season. That's a win too, IMO.

Schmitt wasn't going to be on their roster this year so that's kind of irrelevant to the trade