Mulumba

Floyd

I stand by the fact that since all of the top prospects in the draft had NFL ambitions AND with the Ottawa expansion draft looming taking a flyer on a guy going to the NFL was not a bad move. 

Hey that's true!  It was a brilliant move.  Mack successfully prevented Ottawa from stealing a talented non-import from our roster.  Kudos.

I stand by the fact that since all of the top prospects in the draft had NFL ambitions AND with the Ottawa expansion draft looming taking a flyer on a guy going to the NFL was not a bad move. 

Hey that's true!  It was a brilliant move.  Mack successfully prevented Ottawa from stealing a talented non-import from our roster.  Kudos.

Huff was the same way drafting guys and then cutting them at training camp what a genius!!

It's too bad that Gaydosh went first overall, as if we had gotten him he would have made a big impact for us....almost as big as Mulumba.

Lol zing. Is Gaydosh still rostered down south?

It's too bad that Gaydosh went first overall, as if we had gotten him he would have made a big impact for us....almost as big as Mulumba.

Lol zing. Is Gaydosh still rostered down south?

He's on Carolina's IR.

I was never in the Gaydosh fanclub... that pick was too risky for us as well.  Same with Sewell and Charles.  I wanted any of Edem, Jones, Watman, D'Aguilar or Prime.  Of course, this also brings up the Robertson pick since Jones and D'Aguilar were still available in the 2nd round...

Twist thing however you like... OL was our weakest position and we picked zero OL...  we desperately needed depth behind Muamba and picked zero LB.

I just hope Walters places a priority on conventional scouting reports and drafts guys that are likely to play in the CFL instead of going with hunches...

Rene stephan and pierre luc labbe ask you to reconsider the lb depth part and our oline (i assume) was expected to be pushed by our developmental and backup guys... which failed miserably.. Also FA attempts to bolster it proved crap as well..

I remember when people laughed at Jim Barker for taking Cory Greenwood and now, a few years later after an NFL stint for Greenwood, Barker gets applauded for the approach he took with that pick. His NI depth was crap at the time too.

Just something worth thinking about.

A draft is always about improving your club in the future. If you are relying on the draft to make you better right now you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Case in point: Henoc Muamba. Yeah he was on the roster in his rookie year but it wasn't until closer to the end of his second year that he really developed into a starter.

I remember when people laughed at Jim Barker for taking Cory Greenwood and now, a few years later after an NFL stint for Greenwood, Barker gets applauded for the approach he took with that pick. His NI depth was crap at the time too.

Just something worth thinking about.

Barker is getting applauded?  Where?  Greenwood is coming off major shoulder surgery...

Besides, Barker had the luxury of two first round picks in 2010 and a bunch more thru the draft.  Eppele was the safe pick.

Still, not a fan of the Greenwood pick in the first though - there is a real argument that Spencer Watt was a better pick than Greenwood - they've already got three decent seasons out of him...  Greenwood has yet to play.

When I say help your team 'now', I mean drafting a player that is on the roster and contributing to ST or practicing with the team - not necessarily pencilled into a starting role... that's just a bonus.

If reports are accurate, Walters' draft chart was very different from Mack's and Mack's opinion won out.

I think we know that Mike Edem would be wearing Blue and Gold right now if it were up to Walters, and that probably would have meant Cauchy would have spent most of the season on ST, if he had started at all.

If reports are accurate, Walters' draft chart was very different from Mack's and Mack's opinion won out.

I think we know that Mike Edem would be wearing Blue and Gold right now if it were up to Walters, and that probably would have meant Cauchy would have spent most of the season on ST, if he had started at all.

Mike Edem would be a Bomber. Henoc Muamba wouldn't.

Walters isn't invincible. I like him but he's not bulletproof with his drafting approach either. Nobody is.

Walters isn't invincible. I like him but he's not bulletproof with his drafting approach either. Nobody is.

Right now people are just still riding the anti-Mack hate train so therefore Walters is the greatest thing ever and Mack the devil himself. We'll see just how good Walters does in the next couple seasons. 

Right now people are just still riding the anti-Mack hate train so therefore Walters is the greatest thing ever and Mack the devil himself. We'll see just how good Walters does in the next couple seasons. 

Actually, only you and Spuds seem to be taking this to an extreme...  I'm just hoping that Walters performs better...

No one said Mack was the devil... just a bad combo of incompetence and ego.

Is this actually true? What are we basing this on? That Henoc will only play on a team that has Cauchy on it? I'm not sure that's cast in stone.

Word is that Walters didn't want Muamba #1 overall Mack did and Mack won out. 

To be fair to Walters, if our draft strategy had been left entirely in his hands, our first and second round picks over the past couple of years would have looked a lot like Edmontons. Walters liked Mitchell, Coehoorn, Chambers over Muamba, Etienne and Pencer. Probably would've been Edem/Urban or D'Aguilar in 2013. Not a bad end result. Does missing on Muamba get made up for with the rest of those picks though?

People get so focussed on drafts thinking that it's all set in stone because of rankings. Well Winnipeg fans should take a step back and realize that drafting is not an exact science. The Jets are a good example, they've gone off the board to varying degrees with all their top picks so far and I don't know anyone that's really unhappy with the end results of that so far, and NHL prospects are scouted in advance a hell of a lot more than CFL prospects. Walters seems to prefer a lot of the more "safe" picks based on what we know while Mack liked the most athletic guys a lot. Ultimately with the way Mack brought in players you need a real good coaching staff because they need some fine tuning in a lot of cases and he never put that staff in place. 

Is this actually true? What are we basing this on? That Henoc will only play on a team that has Cauchy on it? I'm not sure that's cast in stone.

No, Walters is believed to have wanted Mitchell, and that it was Mack that opted for Henoc instead.

Oh ok - I didn't know that. Well score one for Mack then because Mitchell has sucked big time.