Tsns Top 50 Players

17to85

Chad simpson was probably the best running back in the league last year considering the O-Line he was playing behind, and the fact he only played 14 games.

There is definitely a very good case to be made that Simpson is the top rb in the league. The fact that he was that far down the list shows that he might be the most under rated player in the league. If Crowton is as smart as everyone thinks he is Simpson is going to be a big part of whatever the Bombers do on offense. 

As much as I appreciate the coverage TSN gives the CFL and these lists can be fun, this particular type of list for CFL players is doomed to inaccuracies because of the nature of the league and how random guys can seemingly step in and become top-flight players.

I have no real issue with no one on the bombers being above number 28 since arguably our best players in reality and as judged by the voters (Turner, Matthews and Hall) haven't had success for more than a year or two so the pedigree won't win them a top 20 spot which they probably don't deserve anyway. The real crime here is Chad Owens at number one. Forgetting the fact that his MOP award was thoroughly undeserved and he's merely an average receiver made far better by an elite quarterback but in a QB driven league in which every single other year this poll has been conducted QBs have been at the top by an incredible margin, why all of a sudden does this clown take the top spot? He's a good returner but considering his fumbles and even overall productivity, was no better than Chris Williams or even Larry Taylor. I recognize that he lead the league in receiving last year and me just saying he's really not that good doesn't hold much water but it's obvious that had he just been the league's leading receiver, he would not be number one on the list. His return numbers were pedestrian last year, buoyed by the fact that he returned kicks, punts and missed field goals in high volume.  

When I think of great receivers in the CFL, I don't think of Chad Owens. But if you talk returners, he's definetly number 1. Is he the best? He had the most yardage but I still think of him primarily as a ST player. He fumbles way too many times for my liking. I think Lulay is #1.

Jamel Richardson at #18?  He doesn't belong on this list, let alone the top half of it.  Richardson is at best the third-best receiver on the Als.

Nik Lewis is underrated at #15.  Only receiver I'd take in the CFL over Nik Lewis is the imaginary non-holdout version of Chris Williams.  Maybe Dressler.

Where was Jon Cornish & Andrew Harris ranked?

Here is the full list. Don't shoot the messenger.

1. Chad Owens

2. Travis Lulay

3. Ricky Ray

4. Anthony Calvillo

5. Jon Cornish

6. J.C. Sherritt

7. Chris Williams

8. Jovan Olafioye

9. Andrew Harris

10. Adam Bighill

11. Fred Stamps

12. Weston Dressler

13. Henry Burris

14. Charleston Hughes

15. Nik Lewis

16. Keron Williams

17. Josh Bourke

18. Jamel Richardson

19. Dmitri Tsoumpas

20. Kory Sheets

21. Darian Durant

22. Patrick Watkins

23. Shea Emry

24. Korey Banks

25. S.J. Green

26. Chad Kackert

27. Kyries Hebert

28. Chris Matthews

29. Brandon Whitaker

30. Alex Hall

31. Bryant Turner

32. Joe Burnett

33. Brendon LaBatte

34. Chip Cox

35. Larry Taylor

36. Terrence Edwards

37. Drew Tate

38. Chad Simpson

39. Rey Williams

40. John Bowman

41. Jonathan Hefney

42. Brandon Isaac

44. Ryan Phillips

43. Khalif Mitchell

45. Andy Fantuz

46. Keon Raymond

47. Tyron Brackenridge

48. Ben Archibald

49. Scott Flory

50. Tim Brown

How The List Was Made

TSN's list begins with our CFL on TSN personalities and CFL writers from across Canada choosing their Top 40 players in the league.

From the list of players, they had to follow these guidelines:

- One quarterback or more, two running backs or more, four receivers or more, five offensive linemen or more, three linebackers or more, four defensive linemen or more and five defensive backs or more.

- The player had to be playing in the CFL this season.

From their list of 40 players, we gave a point ranking from each placing that went as followed:

1st - 50 points

2nd - 45 points

3rd - 40 points

4th - 38 points

5th - 36 points

6th - 35 points

7th-40th - 34 points for 7th working down by a point to 1 point for 40th place.

From there, all the names and points were compiled and the Top 50 point-getters became our Top 50 players in the CFL.

In the big picture who gives a rat's ass who the media picks as the top 50. Ultimately it is who wins the Grey Cup. Let those brainiacs pick a team's roster and see how smart they are. Let them manage a cap and see how smart they are. Easy to be an"expert" when there are no consequences for bad decisions. We'll see how smart Forde is when he trades his cushy opinion in for a real life decision.

I happen to think that Toronto could win a Grey Cup without Owens. But not without Ray. That being said, Travis Lulay carried the Lions on his back at times last season. I think in the CFL, without a great qb teams lose. Therefore picking Owens at #1 & Lulay at #2 was wrong. Where would the Als be without Calvillo? Look at us when Buck didn't play. Calgary would have been hooped without Glenn. So, a return guy & receiver at #1, don't agree.

Muamba should be on the list, and Larry Taylor being ahead of Chad Simpson is a travesty. 

Chad Simpson being the 6th ranked running back is actually a travesty in itself.

Nobody insulted the guy. Everyone knows how promising a player he is. But you also would have to say that the 5 running backs in front of him are no scrubs either ( Cornish, Harris, Whitaker, Sheets and Kackert).