Tsns Top 50 Players

17to85

Nobody insulted the guy. Everyone knows how promising a player he is. But you also would have to say that the 5 running backs in front of him are no scrubs either ( Cornish, Harris, Whitaker, Sheets and Kackert).

He finished 4th in the league in rushing last season despite not starting until several games had already passed... he had a better yards per carry than everyone ahead of him on that list and he did it all with a nagging foot injury all year! That's not just a promising player, that's a guy who is a player right now. So what puts some of those running backs so far ahead of Simpson? For my money Simpson is likely the best player on the Bombers. 

He finished 4th in the league in rushing last season despite not starting until several games had already passed... he had a better yards per carry than everyone ahead of him on that list and he did it all with a nagging foot injury all year! That's not just a promising player, that's a guy who is a player right now. So what puts some of those running backs so far ahead of Simpson? For my money Simpson is likely the best player on the Bombers. 

i agree with what you're saying (except that Kackert had a higher avg/carry than everyone and way less carries and also, like Simpson, played hurt). 

likely the voting points system and being on a team that finished lower didn't help Simpson's place in the standings.

i agree with what you're saying (except that Kackert had a higher avg/carry than everyone and way less carries and also, like Simpson, played hurt). 

likely the voting points system and being on a team that finished lower didn't help Simpson's place in the standings.

You will notice that I said higher yards per carry than the guys ahead of him right? Trust me I know how to twist my words and arguments to suit me. 

You will notice that I said higher yards per carry than the guys ahead of him right? Trust me I know how to twist my words and arguments to suit me. 

i did notice.

i reckoned you meant ahead of him on the TSN list (the topic at hand). fair enough if you meant in yardage, that was unclear.

yeah I would much rather have Kackert than Simpson.  :D

This is a pretty odd thing to be sarcastic about. Look, I hate the Argos with every fibre of my being and I loathe Kackert's smug face but I can't deny that he is probably a top 3 maybe even 2 back in the league. He's really good.

everyone is entitled to a preference. truth is, Kackert's size makes me nervous as i'm just not going to be convinced of his ability to stay in one piece for a season until i see it. that's an issue for all RBs... but i always worry more about the more diminutive ones.

fair play to Kack though: he's pretty much perfect for Milanovich's offence and likely to have big numbers again. 

do i infer that you aren't a fan, Dave? or is it just that you don't like his size/style? or just by comparison to Simpson?

do i infer that you aren't a fan, Dave? or is it just that you don't like his size/style? or just by comparison to Simpson?

Just something about him that bugs me, plus I am very impressed with Simpsons ability to do everything as a runningback. That's the biggest thing at play here, just think Simpson is really something special at the position. 

Just something about him that bugs me, plus I am very impressed with Simpsons ability to do everything as a runningback. That's the biggest thing at play here, just think Simpson is really something special at the position. 

ah-ha! that time, i was the one not being clear... i was talking to KBF... pretty sure he's a Dave too...

(i wouldn't bother asking why you, 17, don't like Kackert... it's obviously because he works in Southern Ontario :D

I get what you're saying.  I like Chad (ours) as much as anyone.  But one guy is running rampant in the Grey Cup game and one guy is limping around on a last place team.  That counts on lists like this.  Fair or not. 

All the Bombers really need to do is win some **** and our players will be overrated on this kind of thing and other team's fans can do the moaning about it for once. 

well if that's the case then the Daves are taking over the world. (seriously I had no clue what KBFs name was, and I have enough of an ego I just assume people are talking to me)

you have an ego? we hadn't noticed...

but srsly... i had quoted KBF when i was addressing him (or attempting to)

(i wouldn't bother asking why you, 17, don't like Kackert... it's obviously because he works in Southern Ontario :D

that's unfair, I don't hate the argos any more than I hate any other team out there. A lot of the reasons I hate the argos is because they keep hiring douchebags. Seriously Barker has always been a giant piece of **** and I've disliked him greatly everywhere he's been. You will note that I've always been very complimentary towards Ricky Ray right? I don't hate teams, I hate players. 

Only that he was the best

Again, not saying much. Comparing Fantuz to the best of even a few years ago he doesn't even make the list. There is no great canadian receiver anymore. No Joe Polawski, no Ray Elgaard, no Tony Gabriel. Peter Dalla Riva, Terry Evanshen... TJ Coffey, Rick House, Jim Young, Ken Nielsen or Rudy Linterman. I'd take all those guys over Fantuz. Even a healthy Robb Bagg.

Again, not saying much. Comparing Fantuz to the best of even a few years ago he doesn't even make the list. There is no great canadian receiver anymore. No Joe Polawski, no Ray Elgaard, no Tony Gabriel. Peter Dalla Riva, Terry Evanshen... TJ Coffey, Rick House, Jim Young, Ken Nielsen or Rudy Linterman. I'd take all those guys over Fantuz. Even a healthy Robb Bagg.

Okay well you go ahead and ask TSN to put all those retired guys on their next Top 50 Active players list

I think the talent at running back is so evenly distributed in the league that any starting RB on any team in the league could win the rushing title.

I wouldn't trade Simpson for any of them, but he does do one thing that absolutely drives me crazy -- he has that tendency to try to beat guys laterally and go for the big play instead of running north-south to secure the first down.  It happened four or five times last year, killing an important drive each time.

Just sayin' if Fantuz is our best then Canadian receiver is pretty bad.

meh I wouldn't read too far into the list. I mean you could argue very easily that right now Shawn Gore is better than Fantuz but it doesn't matter much since it's pretty close anyway. Sure, the position is technically weaker now than it has been in the past but there are a ton of above average Canadian receivers in the league right now which I doubt we can say about most other eras even if they did have the bigger names. Even on the bombers, they have 4 guys at the moment who I would have played over Geoff Drover and Jamie Stoddard any day of the week.

As far as Fantuz's overall ranking? TSN has always had a thing for guys that have one massive year, especially if they are Canadian (Foley, Labinjo, even non-imports like Baggs are still garnering press from TSN long after they stopped being great or even useful players) so it will take a lot of drops to bump him off the list but the fact remains that even as a slightly above average receiver, he is still either the best or second best Canadian receiver in the league.