Grey Cup Thread 2013

BigBlue

Sorry, I'm not aware of anything Durant or Chamblin have done that would make them impossible to like. Explain?

Durant is either playing the victim of the mean fans/media, or he's a cocky pos. There usually isn't much middle ground with him, IMO. His pouting and poor me attitude in 2011 cost a few coaches their jobs. In the Banjo Bowl he was taunting the fans at the end of the game, which is something I'd never want to see my starting qb do. IMO, being the starting qb means you should conduct more professionally than that. He's the face of the team and he acted like a clown.

Chamblin is too cocky for my liking. He called out Cornish & the Stamps and guaranteed they'd hold them under 100 yards or people would lose their jobs. That's a stupid thing for a HC to say. Especially last season, he seemed too cocky for what he'd accomplished to that point in his career.

By impossible to like, I mean while they're on any other team than ours. I just assumed that went w/o saying. I think Dwight Anderson is the only player in the league I couldn't cheer for, even in Blue & Gold.

I lived there 8 years.  When I got there I had the "It's a friendly rivalry/great fans/prairie neighbours" thing going.  I sort of felt sorry for them.  I remember cheering for the Riders in the West playoffs the first few years.

After a while as their confidence and then arrogance grew I came to hate the Riders and their fan base.  Even though I count many of them amongst my closest friends.  

Perfect example of Riders bullshit is this, Pederson says this is "the greatest matchup in league history."

http://www.cfl.ca/article/pedersen-best-grey-cup-matchup-ever%C2'>

well this thread seems to have been over-taken by a lot of negativity!  I for one look forward to this day all year so I'm going to stay positive and just enjoy the game.  Here's a positive story:

http://www.900chml.com/2013/11/19/6806/

1.jpg

Good on the Ti-Cat fans for sending off their heroes in style.  They haven't had a Grey Cup game in 14 years, while we've had 3.  So they're pretty hungry.  That turn-out for the fare-well send off of the team looks bigger than Toronto had for the Grey Cup parade.  At least these people know why they are there and what sport the people they are cheering for play.

Sorry, I'm not aware of anything Durant or Chamblin have done that would make them impossible to like. Explain?

Durant is either playing the victim of the mean fans/media, or he's a cocky pos. There usually isn't much middle ground with him, IMO. His pouting and poor me attitude in 2011 cost a few coaches their jobs. In the Banjo Bowl he was taunting the fans at the end of the game, which is something I'd never want to see my starting qb do. IMO, being the starting qb means you should conduct more professionally than that. He's the face of the team and he acted like a clown.

Chamblin is too cocky for my liking. He called out Cornish & the Stamps and guaranteed they'd hold them under 100 yards or people would lose their jobs. That's a stupid thing for a HC to say. Especially last season, he seemed too cocky for what he'd accomplished to that point in his career.

By impossible to like, I mean while they're on any other team than ours. I just assumed that went w/o saying. I think Dwight Anderson is the only player in the league I couldn't cheer for, even in Blue & Gold.

Anderson is a douchebag. Six months from now he may be a jailbird. That'll shut up his chirping.

and here we go with the Toronto media comments - these Eastern guys just can't help themselves I guess....

There is just one word I can think of for the drive from the airport, past Mosaic Stadium to downtown Regina. The word: desolate.

I've never taken that route but from looking at the Google satellite map it does look rather desolate.

and here we go with the Toronto media comments - these Eastern guys just can't help themselves I guess....

There is just one word I can think of for the drive from the airport, past Mosaic Stadium to downtown Regina. The word: desolate.

I've never taken that route but from looking at the Google satellite map it does look rather desolate.

yes well it is very unpopulated with obese crack-smoking mayors, so I can see why a Toronto sportswriter would feel lost...

Hamilton actually cares about the Ticats, I don't think anyone can say the same about T.O and the Argos.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!

rob_ford1.jpg?w=620

If I hadn't met him, I'd think that Bluto could be Rob Ford.... I mean how many other Argo fans are there in Toronto?  ;)

Honestly if the Argos had more fans like bluto, the CFL would be in a much better place.

Simmons is a jackass. He thinks every city in Canada outside of Toronto is a wasteland.

To try to put this thread onto a more positive note- this matchup is one of the best that could have happened to the CFL. Like them or not, the Rider fans are the most ardent in the league and probably the most numerous ex-pat group you could imagine. Hamilton has suffered with a decrepit stadium and pathetic teams for what seems like decades and they have had a core of diehard fans who make up in enthusiasm what they lack in numbers. Both teams were underdogs and since this happening in Pile O Bones, the amount of media attention ought to be contagious for the rest of the CFL.

We are all hoping for an entertaining game, and the edge has to to be given to the Riders unless they choke under the pressure. If they get behind early, the fans will be merciless. Go CFL!!!

Simmons is a jackass. He thinks every city in Canada outside of Toronto is a wasteland.

I don't think that it's just Simmons that thinks this way.

steve simmons@simmonssteve31s

While I don't disagree about his being a jackass, I doubt he feels that about every other city - probably just cities not called Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary (since he was there for a lot of years) and possibly Edmonton. And he didn't say Regina was desolate - just the drive from the airport. The same thing could be said about that drive in a lot of cities.

Regina IS desolate, especially in the winter. 

While true, I stand by my point that he's a jackass. Like Zontar said, he goes out of his way to rile people up. I'm pretty sure he knew what kind of reaction he'd get as a TO journalist insulting a prairie city.

Bingo. Expect back-handed compliments too like "Regina is a nice litle town, friendly folks, Corner Gas was a funny show" etc.