Lyle Bauer wanted his old job back

B-F-F-C

True but he did save the franchise from absolute doom.  This team was a few days away from having to file for creditor protection.   Lyle worked with the major creditors and convinced them to give him time to turn things around.    

I wonder what would have been the outcome if he didn't fire Doug Berry? 

I wonder what would have been the outcome if he didn't fire Doug Berry? 

yeah Bauer did a lot of good for this team... but then he got so caught up in his legacy of being the guy to bring the Grey Cup back and he started making crazy decisions and it set the team back. It's a damned shame that they didn't win in 01 or even 07 just cause I think a Grey Cup in either one of those years would have calmed down a lot of the crazy around Winnipeg. 

I find it funny how people always talk about the Berry Kelly interference when many forget about the Ritchie Daley interference as well. Bauer was good in his off field actions. His interference when it comes to the on field product puts a huge damper on his legacy here. I'm glad the board said no. Keep him away from this franchise.

I find it funny how people always talk about the Berry Kelly interference when many forget about the Ritchie Daley interference as well. Bauer was good in his off field actions. His interference when it comes to the on field product puts a huge damper on his legacy here. I'm glad the board said no. Keep him away from this franchise.

Thank you, I was just going to say, don't forget him tossing Ritchie out.

It's one thing to have hired Kelly. It's another not to say that it was a mistake. And then.... to say he'd do it all over again. Yep, stay the **** away. He said the same thing in Calgary during an interview with the Herald & Stamps fans were concerned what he'd do if Huff left & would have taken over as far as bringing back Mike Kelly. Bauer never got just how bad a hire Kelly was.

Is it possible that Bauer was approached by a board member (in the midst of a week where the club was thrown into complete and utter chaos) to see if he would be open to the possibility of a return in some capacity... :ph34r:

The first reports iirc said Bauer had approached the BoD and was told no thanks. Besides if the BoD had approached him, he would now be the team President since he wanted the job.