Kavis Reed as Bombers new Defensive Coordinator?

gbill2004

Rick Stubler is a brilliant Dc but was a disaster as a HC in Toronto. Goes to show a brilliant coordinator isn't always a great head coach.

I'd be interested in Bluto's take on that as I've heard some Argo fans say Stubler was Pinball's choice for HC and Rita didn't like that and treated Stubler accordingly. 

So, some recent offensive & defensive coordinators who bombed (sorry about the pun) having no prior CFL head coaching experience. Jim Daley, Urban Bowman (Hamilton) Mike Kelly, Rick Stubler, Richie Hall, Paul LaPolice, Danny Macciocia, George Cortez, Greg Marshall, Kavis Reed, Tim Burke. Any others I missed?

So, some recent offensive & defensive coordinators who bombed (sorry about the pun) having no prior CFL head coaching experience. Jim Daley, Urban Bowman (Hamilton) Mike Kelly, Rick Stubler, Richie Hall, Paul LaPolice, Danny Macciocia, George Cortez, Greg Marshall, Kavis Reed, Tim Burke. Any others I missed?

I think he would show you his Grey Cup ring and beg to differ.

Not sure intriguing is the word I would use. Perhaps misguided? The discussions about HC and GM seem to turn into either a flavour of the month, a popularity contest or who was the latest or last name someone heard. I give you examples of Duane Forde, Matt Dunnigan as prospective GMs? Based on what demonstrated working knowledge , management skills and experience.

As for HC, the likes of Stubler, Berry, Cortez , Marshall and LaPolice are failed experiments. Have people thought to examine why these gentleman have failed as HCs? The skill set is far removed from CoOrdinator or Assistance Coach to those necessary to be a HC. Hence the challenge of predicting the percentage of success in taking that gamble.

I might be inclined to first interview the GMs that hired those HCs and ask them some pointed questions as to why that felt these guys had failed as HCs. What were the things that they seem to lack in making the transition?

I might also suggest that those responsible for the hiring of Mack and Buchko might be held accountable for those erroneous hires. I also might be concerned that some of those people are still in a position to make some or have currently made some decisions they are not skilled to make.

Why would anyone want Kavis back ?

Has he ever been successful in any position anyhwere in the CFL ?

While I'm a big fan of Dunigan, not sure how comfrtable I'd be with him in the dual role. Actually the more I think about it, him being given either the HC or GM job doesn't sound right. Forde and his 200k can stay with TSN.

Lapo is an X's & O's guy, there more to being a HC than that and IMO it's why Lapo failed.

Stubler lost the Argos locker room rather quickly, which isn't something that should be overlooked.

Cortez can run an offense, but again there's more to being an HC.

Still don't understand all the hate for Buchko.

Why would anyone want Kavis back ?

Has he ever been successful in any position anyhwere in the CFL ?

While I'm a big fan of Dunigan, not sure how comfrtable I'd be with him in the dual role. Actually the more I think about it, him being given either the HC or GM job doesn't sound right. Forde and his 200k can stay with TSN.

Lapo is an X's & O's guy, there more to being a HC than that and IMO it's why Lapo failed.

Stubler lost the Argos locker room rather quickly, which isn't something that should be overlooked.

Cortez can run an offense, but again there's more to being an HC.

Still don't understand all the hate for Buchko.

Plain and simple the hate for Buckko stems from him signing a long term deal for broadcasting rights with CJOB then suddenly becoming president of the club.  It is the epitime of the "old boys club" of the board.  You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours

And in hind sight, he wasn't the right man from the job.  From the fiasco of the stadium being a year late (not his fault, but shouldn't have made the promises he did) to the opening night problems, to hanging his hat on Mack.

I'd love to know what discussions there was between the Bombers and TSN 1290 before CJOB got the broadcasting deal.  You know TSN would have been ready to pay for the radio rights, lots of synergies with the TV rights.   If CJOB out bid TSN 1290, then I have no problem with the deal.  But somehow, with the way this club has been run, I don't have any confidence that that is how is went down.

And now we can get back to Kavis Reed, don't mean to de-rail the thread.

It wouldnt surprise me if CJOB did outbid TSN1290.  If I recall, True North said CJOB made a heck of an offer for the Jets' radio rights but TSN tied it all together so they had little choice but to go with TSN.

But I agree with the optics.  In addition, I think people really wanted to see a strong football person in that role.  We can debate whether the CEO needs to be a strong football person but I remember that question coming up.  Since the CEO will be the one to hire/fire the GM, doesnt he need to understand the details that come with running football ops?

He also always seemed to be two steps behind.  The Stadium fiasco was not his fault.  But swaggering up to the mic to vow they would never again play in Canad Inns Stadium *was* his fault.

He had the appearance of a guy who wasn't qualified.  I cant say whether he was or wasnt because some people have the skill to do jobs you wouldn't think, but hindsight being what it is, it seems clear he wasn't cut out for the gig.  I still question how he left as there were two mysterious stories circulating (that he quit, that he was fired, that he refused to come back from vacation to deal with Mack etc).

What is it with Bombers fans wanting our old outcasts back in coaching positions????   We've recycled Lapolice... now some want Kavis Reed back?  As someone already pointed out, there are other options.   I'd love to have Burke back as DC.   His track record is proven for itself, but I am not sure he'll fit in with the new HC... which is the bigger priority.    I heard a rumour that the front runner is Khari Jones.     Anyone can confirm or deny this?   Personally I'd like to get Khari as our new OC... but someone else at HC.

What is it with Bombers fans wanting our old outcasts back in coaching positions????   We've recycled Lapolice... now some want Kavis Reed back?  As someone already pointed out, there are other options.   I'd love to have Burke back as DC.   His track record is proven for itself, but I am not sure he'll fit in with the new HC... which is the bigger priority.    I heard a rumour that the front runner is Khari Jones.     Anyone can confirm or deny this?   Personally I'd like to get Khari as our new OC... but someone else at HC.

Am i the only one who finds it ironic that you complain about LaPolice and Reed yet you want Khari Jones and Tim Burke?

T

Am i the only one who finds it ironic that you complain about LaPolice and Reed yet you want Khari Jones and Tim Burke?

I was more referring to recycling bad coaches in our organization.  Lapo was run out of town in 2003 when he was our OC, yet we brought him back as HC.   
IMO Kavis wasn't that great of a DC so why bring him back?

Burke has proved he was successful at DC... with two teams now. So why not bring him back ? According to Wade Miller's press conference ...Burke is interested in coming back if it fits

And correct me if I 'm wrong Khari never coached the bombers has he?

Kavis pretty much hasn't been successful anywhere, I was completely shocked that he was named the Head Coach in Edmonton, and to be honest I'd be surprised if he's back in the CFL next season, after that who knows.

The CFL is at times known as the old boys network.

Kavis pretty much hasn't been successful anywhere, I was completely shocked that he was named the Head Coach in Edmonton, and to be honest I'd be surprised if he's back in the CFL next season, after that who knows.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him in Ottawa if Lapo gets the head coaching job

The funny thing is that Reeds best stint coaching might well have been in Winnipeg cause the defense was generally pretty solid back then. 

The funny thing is that Reeds best stint coaching might well have been in Winnipeg cause the defense was generally pretty solid back then. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall it was towards the end of the season where the defense started to look better.