Question for the Winnipeggers

bluto

So I'd say that the easy answer to who the Greatest Canadian to come from Winnipeg is of course Terry Fox. He didn't spend much of his life there, but he was indeed born there so I think that he is hands down the Greatest Canadian from Winnipeg.

Who then, would you say, gets the runner up prize and why?

I'm asking because of a research project I'm doing and I would say that it is about your 2nd greatest Winnipegger. I won't say who it is because I don't want to bias the outcome... But I'm genuinely curious on who the consensus points toward.

8 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

In no particular order:

Hunky Bill Konyk

Chip and Pepper

Anna Paquin in jean shorts

Rowdy Roddy Piper

Edit: Turns out Roddy Piper wasn't born here, but was raised here

True story, I was at her house when Anna was brought home from the hospital after birth. I went to school with her brother and was over playing. Nicest family ever. 

What's the criteria for being a Winnipegger?  Fox was born here but spent most of his life elsewhere while people like Neil Young were not born here but still have a significant connection to the city.

If we're including anyone with ties to Winnipeg, I'd add Tommy Douglas & Tommy Prince to the list.

One man’s take:

If you are going by name recognition and worldwide acclaim as your definition of “greatest”, then the bear Winnie the Pooh is the strongest candidate for his global name brand. I’d say this is the 2nd greatest Winnipegger.

Among humans, wrestlers Kenny Omega, Roddy Piper and Chris Jericho, singers Burton Cummings, Neil Young, and Justin Bieber (technicality since he often visited his father who lived here, was a second home to him) are the most recognizable worldwide. Arts and entertainment TV and movies Anna Paquin, David Steinberg and Monty Hall. Sports Terry Sawchuk, Jennifer Jones. CFL specifically Chris Walby edges out Andrew Harris with Cal Murphy taking the bronze. 

Beyond cultural impact, those whose achievements have had the “greatest” impact are Duff Roblin, who’s floodwaters diversion has saved an entire city definitely twice and likely close to a half dozen times, and saved us billions of dollars, and in science Louis Slotin (worked on the Manhattan Project and was a forefather of the Nuclear Age in designing the first cyclotron and exploring fission reactions), and Frances McGill, who pioneered Forensic medicine and developed the first ever crime lab for the RCMP.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Chief Peguis. 

1. The Red River settlement would have never happened without the aid of him and his people - every Selkirk Settler would have perished

2. His quote that begins with "These are not my lands - they belong to our great father." Is one of the most profound speeches in Canadian History

3. First Nations deserve this acknowledgement

5 hours ago, bluto said:

So I'd say that the easy answer to who the Greatest Canadian to come from Winnipeg is of course Terry Fox. He didn't spend much of his life there, but he was indeed born there so I think that he is hands down the Greatest Canadian from Winnipeg.

Who then, would you say, gets the runner up prize and why?

I'm asking because of a research project I'm doing and I would say that it is about your 2nd greatest Winnipegger. I won't say who it is because I don't want to bias the outcome... But I'm genuinely curious on who the consensus points toward.

So @bluto will you reveal who your project is about now that we’ve thrown out some candidates?

41 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

So @bluto will you reveal who your project is about now that we’ve thrown out some candidates?

Yes!

I am President of a riding Chapter that has Associated Chapters and Grand Chapter Districts around the world. Each one will typically have a Chapter Nickname and Patch. Within our local geographic area that we call home is the site where Camp X operated. So naturally our name is a riff on William Stephenson's Codename: Intrepid.

I just love his story. Great man. Proud to have his name on my vest.

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

okay if you are going to bring up Clara Hughes you should also mention Cindy Klassen she practically stole the show for Team Canada in Torino '06

Okay:

1. If you're going to critique my list, you should first offer some names of your own.
  2. "She (Clara Hughes) is the National Spokesperson for Bell Canada’s Mental Health initiative and the ‘Let’s Talk’ campaign.  By sharing past struggles with depression, Clara has helped break down the stigma associated with mental illness."  Her contributions go far beyond her athleticism.   Feel free to point me to Cindy Klassen's non-athletic contributions - not saying there aren't any - but it's on you to elaborate.
  3. Why am I even trying to justify my choices to someone who spams the TV thread with the most mundane TV "news"?  

I mean:

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, iHeart said:

hey at least I offered someone, most of the people here already took all the good ones (surprised no one brought up Chantal Kreviazuk)

Are you seriously suggesting her?

Why would anyone mention her? What has she done? Comes from a **** family and was successful after her father bought her a record deal. 

1 minute ago, GCJenks said:

Are you seriously suggesting her?

Why would anyone mention her? What has she done? Comes from a **** family and was successful after her father bought her a record deal. 

to be honest I didn't know that and I guess you didn't notice that I also edited in the Crash Test Dummies

Just now, iHeart said:

to be honest I didn't know that and I guess you didn't notice that I also edited in the Crash Test Dummies

I did not see the mention of the CTD, can’t support them as great citizens when Brad Roberts hates the city and often talks down about it and how much better life was once he moved to Vancouver. 

Popularity does not make someone great. 

Have I offered names? I couldn’t bring any that aren’t already mentioned and to me the question is too vague. First define Winnipegger and define great. 

Aif the requirement is born here and impact on the world Sir William Stephenson is second to none. 

If the requirement is impact on Winnipeg and Manitoba the list is very different. 

The one thing that this thread proves is that our city and home punches above its weight class in so many categories.