The Health Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

On 2023-11-17 at 12:54 AM, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Known weed enthusiast and rapper Snoop Dogg says he has "decided to give up smoke." https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/snoop-dogg-says-s-giving-smoking-years-marijuana-use-rcna125559

Snoop Dogg reveals 'giving up smoke' was an ad campaign ... for a fire pit

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Politicians... What a sham. Income under $90,000??? So, that'll prevent most Canadian families where couples both have jobs from taking advantage of the plan. Not everyone has a dental plan at work. 

I think you're overestimating how much the average family makes in Canada. 

The median after-tax income of Canadian families and unattached individuals was $68,400 in 2021

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230502/dq230502a-eng.htm

Well, hundreds of thousands of families who need it will never qualify. We have universal health care but we can't have universal pharmacare & dental. Singh & Trudeau go on about how this is a generational change. Most families will never see it. A couple with jobs each paying $45-50,000 a year isn't much after inflation & taxes. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, hundreds of thousands of families who need it will never qualify. We have universal health care but we can't have universal pharmacare & dental. Singh & Trudeau go on about how this is a generational change. Most families will never see it. A couple with jobs each paying $45-50,000 a year isn't much after inflation & taxes. 

I am surprised you are advocating expanding the dental initiative- good on you. I agree- its a start, but we need to further with it. 

I also agree that we need a national pharmacare policy- the MB one sucks. income of 90k with 3 dependents has a deductible of almost 6k. That is too much. a family income of 60k nets you a deductible of 3k... still too much.

13 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

The average family income in Manitoba is less than 90k before taxes, and plenty of people make it work with less than that. Roughly half of Manitoban families will qualify. That's pretty big. This is a good thing for a lot of people that could use the assist.

It should be universal coverage for pharmacare & dental. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It should be universal coverage for pharmacare & dental. 

Sure, absolutely. Hope we can get there one day. Til then this could help more than half of all Canadian families, those who need it most (those under 90k without private coverage). Putting off dental care leads to much worse issues in a hurry, preventative care being put off by lower income earners is a strain on everyone. This is a very good program. Not sure how any reasonable human can look at this and call it a sham when you consider the good that could come of it for even a second.

12 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Yes this is a good start but how about adding more money to the OAS?  Many seniors have too much month left at the end of the money!  Maybe start taxing the rich and churches and bring in UBI.

It's not so bad as of today,  but I wonder how seniors in 15 or so years will be able to survive on a smaller income.     

At least many of the current seniors are/were able to get ahead financially since they were able to purchase a house for a fair price and then sell it at the current insane high levels.    Middle class is also shrinking at a scary rate so I'm going to guess down the road Canada will be similar to the States in which you see seniors working hard until the day they die.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's an idea to save the healthcare system the cost of one wage. Fire the person that thought this was a intelligent way to to communicate with healthcare workers :

"  #####' ####### ##### ### ( I blanked out the healthcare district ) is rolling out a new hand hygiene auditing electric software 

HandyAudit is a premier hand hygiene auditing tool with technology that takes a story-based , evidence-based approach to hand hygiene behaviour  and removes the subjectivity inherent in traditional auditing tools.

This education will assist staff with changing their Hand Hygiene practices so that they are successful when audited via the electronic Handy Audit method.  "

This printout was given to my wife , a Homecare worker. She was given no information other than being handed the sheet with that double speak on it. I'm being tongue in cheek about firing someone but they do need a lesson in communication. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...