2022 Beijing Winter Olympics

Rich

16 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm really struggling to care about these Olympics. Same for the past summer Olympics. I haven't watched a single event, other than just in passing. I used to be a huge Olympic fan but that seems to be completely gone. 

Anyone else going through this? I think it's partly due to it being in China. 

The time difference doesn't help. But even given that, I used to wake up and religiously check results and medal counts, but now I have trouble caring. I think as I have gotten older, the corrupt business nature of the games has soured me on it a bit. Other than my wife watching curling, we haven't had it on. I don't even know Canada's mens hockey record!

Of course, the last 5 years of Jets hockey I have had less and less interest as well. In that case the quality of the team is certainly a factor. You would think the pandemic would have me begging for entertainment options, but I often find my time better spent elsewhere than watching the Jets these days.

I should add: every time they add a new event/sport I just roll my eyes. Monobob? Aerials vs. big air? Team and mixed everything. It's a novelty act at this point.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

For me, not having NHL'ers has certainly decreased my interest (in the hockey at least) but my interest in other sports isn't what it normally is (curling for example, I'm trying to follow the scores but have not watched a second of it).  Not sure if it's just the time difference or what but yeah it's not the same.

32 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm really struggling to care about these Olympics. Same for the past summer Olympics. I haven't watched a single event, other than just in passing. I used to be a huge Olympic fan but that seems to be completely gone. 

Anyone else going through this? I think it's partly due to it being in China. 

The obvious machinations going on have really turned me off. Its probably always been there, but never so in-your-face.

it's mostly the time change that's a problem for me, but yes, also the NHL not being there, plus the general cloud of COVID hanging over things is also an issue. I follow the women's hockey team and Jennifer Jones curling team, but other than that......ehhh. When Vancouver 2010 was on, I was ravenous....I never cared so much about snowboarding and ski jumping and figure skating in all my life....

Russian Skater Kamila Valieva In Olympics Doping Scandal Blames Grandfather's Medication

BEIJING (AP) — Worn out after a grueling doping hearing, Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva said she was happy nonetheless after being allowed to skate Tuesday in the women’s short program at the Beijing Olympics.

The 15-year-old Valieva is the overwhelming favorite for the gold medal alongside Russian teammates Alexandra Trusova and Anna Shcherbakova, who are aiming for the first sweep by any nation of the women’s Olympic podium.

Valieva was cleared to skate even though she failed a drug test taken Dec. 25, the result only emerging last week, after her two brilliant performances in the team competition helped win gold for the Russian team. The Court of Arbitration for Sport gave her a favorable decision Monday in part because she is a minor, known as a “protected person,” and is subject to different rules from an adult athlete.

Lawyers for Valieva also “brought some doubts about her guilt,” veteran IOC member Denis Oswald said Tuesday, with their possible explanation of accidental rather than deliberate doping with the heart medication trimetazidine.

“Her argument was this contamination which happened with a product her grandfather was taking,” Oswald, a Swiss lawyer who prosecuted previous Russian doping cases, told reporters.

Russian Skater Kamila Valieva In Olympics Doping Scandal Blames Grandfather's Medication | HuffPost null

(What- Russians doping? Has to be an innocent mistake)

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Canada men's hockey lose to Sweden....fart noises. 

An object lesson for pro athletes: no matter how talented you think you are, you still have to prove yourself every game.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Ukraine Skier(formerly Belarus) Tests Positive for Doping at Winter Olympics http://4.nbcla.com/eXtuJMJ

Not sketchy....not sketchy at all!

With all the politicization and interference in the games and drug testing, its hard to believe any of this stuff and even harder to care.

On 2022-02-15 at 10:58 AM, Noeller said:

it's mostly the time change that's a problem for me, but yes, also the NHL not being there, plus the general cloud of COVID hanging over things is also an issue. I follow the women's hockey team and Jennifer Jones curling team, but other than that......ehhh. When Vancouver 2010 was on, I was ravenous....I never cared so much about snowboarding and ski jumping and figure skating in all my life....

Snowboard cross is about as good as it gets - my new fave Olympic sport (used to be short track speedskating).

Report: Russian Skater Had 3 Different Drugs In System When She Failed Test

ZHANGJIAKOU, China (AP) — Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva listed two legal substances used to improve heart function on an anti-doping control form she filled out before her drug case at the Olympics erupted, according to documents submitted in her case.

The World Anti-Doping Agency filed a brief in the Valieva case stating that the existence of L-carnitine and Hypoxen, though both legal, undercuts the argument that a banned substance, trimetazidine, might have entered the skater’s system accidentally.

Hypoxen, a drug designed to increase oxygen flow to the heart, was a substance the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency recently tried, without success, to get placed on the banned list. L-carnitine, another oxygen-boosting performance enhancer, is banned if injected above certain thresholds. The supplement was the focal point of the doping case involving track coach Alberto Salazar.

Combining those with 2.1 nanograms of trimetazidine, the drug found in Valieva’s system after a Dec. 25 test, is “an indication that something more serious is going on,” USADA CEO Travis Tygart said.

“You use all of that to increase performance,” he said. “It totally undermines the credibility” of Valieva’s defense.

Report: Russian Skater Had 3 Different Drugs In System When She Failed Test | HuffPost null

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'll do it here 

Marie Poulin from  Team Canada woman's team? 

GOAT? And I'm including the annoying Wickenheiser in here... sure scores lots of big goals in these games. 

Im gonna go ahead and say Poulin is indeed the GOAT women's Canadian hockey player. 

She was already before these Olympics, and is the GOAT male or female for international hockey as a Canadian. Maybe only Tretiak from the Russian dynasty in the 1970’s and 80’s could rival her as greatest international player ever. She is already on the Mount Rushmore of greatest Canadian hockey goals ever with Henderson in ‘72, Lemieux in ‘87, and Crosby in ‘10 with her OT winner in 2014. Has the Olympic gold medal winning goal now in 3 Games. No “female” or “Canadian” qualifiers for me, she is the best ever. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figure-skating/women-figure-skating-beijing-2022-day-13-1.6350504

Kamila had a bad skate she didn't medal there but someone else from the ROC has, even if she does get her gold stripped it probably won't happen til after the games

The latest news on Kamila is that she will not get her medal awarded at the games, but it will be sent to her home afterwards. A complete farce.