FANS SELECT BLUE BOMBER GREATS FOR MAIN GATES

I can think of about 6 or 7 people I'd pick before Doug Brown, honestly.

Milt, Ploen, Walby, Poplawski, Cal Murphy, Tyrone Jones, Richard Harris, Cameron ...

ok, 8.

tumblr_inline_mjkw9sQHdX1qz4rgp.jpg

Not saying there aren't guys I'd put there before Brown, but Brown is definitely worthy of it.

Not to single you out on the subject but I think a man who won 4 Grey Cups in 10 years as Bomber head coach should be on one of the gates instead of Brown

Brown was a great player but Grant was the greatest coach the Bombers ever had & yes, agreed... he should be recognized.

Not saying there aren't guys I'd put there before Brown, but Brown is definitely worthy of it.

Not to single you out on the subject but I think a man who won 4 Grey Cups in 10 years as Bomber head coach should be on one of the gates instead of Brown

Brown was a great player but Grant was the greatest coach the Bombers ever had & yes, agreed... he should be recognized.

Grant was also a heck of a player. Although he mainly played as a receiver they sometimes put him in on defense. And in one playoff game he set a record that still stands:

Most Interceptions Made, Playoff Game

5 Bud Grant Wpg Oct 28/53 vs Ssk

I think they should put up a statue of the guy.

I don't think you can really argue with the selections. There will always be someone left out when you are picking 4 guys from the history of the franchise. Personally, Poplawski was way down the list, but in talking to my parents about that, people who were in their prime in the late 70s and early 80s, they completely disagree with me.

Chris Walby should definitely be one of the 4. It should be Stegall, Pleon, Walby and then one other person.

I think the first 3, (Stegall, Pleon & Walby.), are kind of no brainers.

The fourth one though is debatable.

As long as I have been alive the Bombers have won Grey Cups with superior defence. So I think it would make sense for at least one of the 4 to be a defencive player. Who is the greatest defencive player to ever play for the Bombers? Greg Battle? Doug Brown? Rod Hill? Juran Bolden? On defence there is no clear cut winner, like there is on the offence, but I definitely think there should be at least one representative on defence on the gates.

I don't think you can really argue with the selections. There will always be someone left out when you are picking 4 guys from the history of the franchise. Personally, Poplawski was way down the list, but in talking to my parents about that, people who were in their prime in the late 70s and early 80s, they completely disagree with me.

Joe Pop was a stud receiver, believe me. Your parents are right.

Chris Walby should definitely be one of the 4. It should be Stegall, Pleon, Walby and then one other person.

I think the first 3, (Stegall, Pleon & Walby.), are kind of no brainers.

The fourth one though is debatable.

As long as I have been alive the Bombers have won Grey Cups with superior defence. So I think it would make sense for at least one of the 4 to be a defencive player. Who is the greatest defencive player to ever play for the Bombers? Greg Battle? Doug Brown? Rod Hill? Juran Bolden? On defence there is no clear cut winner, like there is on the offence, but I definitely think there should be at least one representative on defence on the gates.

Just so you know, it's Ken Ploen, not Pleon. ;)

Joe Pop was a stud receiver, believe me. Your parents are right.

I agree. My first Bomber jersey was a Joe Pop.

yeah I think it should have been Bud Grant, if only because he is still alive and maybe (?) could have attended this gate event.  Plus, he freaking deserves it and is a big part of building the old Bomber mythology of being the best team in the league year in and year out.  Imagine the line of wheelchairs, strollers and oxygen tanks lined up down the concourse to shake Bud's hand at his gate....

The Bombers should do what the Stamps do... They have a Wall of Fame where a couple of players & a builder every year or so are put on the wall in the stadium... The Esks do the same thing & it's classy & a big deal for the players selected. They have a dinner & make a weekend of it by flying former players into town & are honoured at a Stamps game by being driven into the stadium in convertibles. It really is a lot of fun & you can see how the players love it. A couple of years ago, Allen Pitts & Doug Flutie made it to the Wall Of fame & it was so cool. Also, under the grandstands in the two concourses on the east & west side there are huge posters of players being honoured. It'd be a great way for the Bombers to recognize great players from the past. I like the idea of a statue in front of the stadium. But that would have to be for the greatest player who ever played for the team... And who votes for that??

IMO Bud Grant, Cal Murphy, Deiter Brock and Chris Walby are more deserving of this type of honour, but I suppose Doug Brown is right, this is more of a popularity contest and DB's retiring is still fresh in people's minds. Overall pretty happy with who ended up being chosen, so many great names to choose from, and opinions will differ on who the four should have been. Personally would have gone with 2 "builders" and 2 players, but that's just me.

My avy here is #27 Dave "The Knife" Raimey. One of the greatest running backs to ever play for the Bombers. Played four full seasons for the Bombers from 1965 to 1968 before being traded to the Argos for qb Wally Gabler in August of 1969. His ability to  cut & change directions gave him the nickname of The Knife. As in he could cut thru a CFL defense like a knife cuts thru butter. My all time favourite CFL player of all time. He was such a great athlete that he was an All Canadian running back for the Bombers. He became an All Canadian corner in Toronto after a serious knee injury in 1970 caused him to switch positions in 1970 after Leon McQuay was recruited by then head coach Leo Cahill. He'd be on the list for Bomber greats for sure but when he left for the Argos it was under bad circumstances as he had enough of playing for bad teams here. In 1968 & 69 he & Ken Nielsen were the only offensive weapons we had as a team. Unfortunately, Raimey has much closer ties to the Argos than Bombers. To me, he'll always be that great running back in Blue & Gold juking & jiving, making players miss all over the field & then exploding to the goal line for a touchdown! Argo or Bomber, that will always be my memory of the man.