Ed Tait is right again

Jacquie

Ed Tait wrote:

Understandably, there will be grumblings when the stadium opens -- most likely from some of my colleagues in the media as the press box is situated at about the 15-yard line, from those that don't like the parking set-up and from that segment of our population that ******* about sunny days.

And now we have Friesen complaining about the press box in today's Sun. Near the end of his rant he says:

The Bombers face a similar job, but I don’t know where they could put it.

It’s either that or blow out the entire window bank, replace it with floor-to-ceiling glass and add second and third rows, raised in steps, if that’s even feasible.

I could go on about the uncomfortable bar-stool type seating and the fact the windows don’t even open, but there’s no need to pile on.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/30/press-box-at-investors-group-field-a-disaster-that-could-affect-grey-cup-bid

Meanwhile Wiecek in today's FP says:

Sources said the plan now is to fully enclose the press box during the season prior to the Bombers hosting a Grey Cup.

The changes required to make the press box at Investors Group Field fully functional will be minor by comparison, requiring not much more than the extension of the existing glass enclosure.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/stadium-designers-make-hash-of-press-box-209625971.html

I find it funny that Lawless and Friesen seem to be the last two media guys to get a tour of the stadium. That's karma for you.

Esks media bitching on twitter and having a field day with it. There are few things on the planet that rile me up more than fat Terry Jones bitching about everything on the planet (...it happens a lot...)

Esks media bitching on twitter and having a field day with it. There are few things on the planet that rile me up more than fat Terry Jones bitching about everything on the planet (...it happens a lot...)

probably upset that the press box won't have an access ramp for his rascal and won't deliver pizza straight to his seat there.

Why would the Esks media be tweeting about this? They'll come to Winnipeg once a year. And they've never seen the place.

because that's Terry Jones MO. ***** about everything when the press aren't treated like the royalty he thinks they are. The worst kind of reporter, one who thinls being a reporter makes him some kind of special person and by god if he's not treated to the best seat in the house to report from there's hell to pay!

Part of the complaint is that the press box doesn't have room for the number of media that would be attending a major event like a Grey Cup.

Anybody confirm that part? If there isn't room to expand the box to house a group of reporters (upwards of 100) then are there other options for places they can be?

While I understand that for big events like the Grey Cup or Heritage Classic this might present a bit of a problem, it's perfect for the media we have currently.

I actually really don't understand why PRESS media would complain about where there box is, not like the really need to see everything. Radio and TV media calling the game should have the best views............. oh and paying customers as well.

Those guys need to stop complaining, people are catching on to the lack a value they bring.

I have to agree. It's amazing to see how much the comments on Friesen's Bomber columns have changed over the past year. At one time you had all his fanboys posting how right he was and now it seems that most of the comments are saying what an idiot he is.

So if I'm to understand this correctly, the print media members are taking issue with the size of the "indoor" press box ?

And by extending the glass, thus limiting the outdoor space, all the problems are fixed ?